Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE30 M3 scuttle leak..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
black beast with four legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E30 M3 scuttle leak..
    Posted: 25-January-2010 at 20:55

mines been parked at just the right angle to let the bottom left windscreen drain, run into the plenum across a plastic tree nail (which holds sound deadning inside)  and fill the footwell with water overnight

evostick..sticks like..to the rescue

88 E30 M3 fast(er than it was, ta Shep and Grant)

and a k8 2008 busa...faster still

(focus RS gone to good home - but never forgotton, eh Shep)
Sponsored Links

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2010 at 11:37
Check your 'elephant' trunking for blockages.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2010 at 18:39
first thing i did mate but the water had to be higher up than if that was blocked. i blocked it on purpose and flooded the plenum but it didnt come in....until i did thre hose over the top test

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2010 at 13:05
sorry to say this but this is how mine started. Not an EVO stick job I am afraid.
check the area under the dash where the bonnet catch release cable goes through the bulk head. Mine was all wetabix. I kept patching it up but you only make things worse, it will rust down all the way.

after stripping the car a small section had to be removed

Don't wait too long, it will only get worse. and be prepared to find shedloads of other holes once you've started digging...
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 17:55
Uwe, are those pictures and this issue recent?

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 20:29

Uwe the top pic is esentially just withe the outer wing off, yes?. i hd mine off to cos it had a bump and needed straightening. while it was off i did notice the very bottom of the scuttle was through in two small spots where it joins the wing inner just in front of the door. i cleaned it back to bright metal and soldered some brass sheet in to patch it.

other than that i could not see any issues. last weekend i did pull the plastic liner out to check it and ran the hose while i watched but it all seems pretty sound. i had waxoyled it previously and that was still good.

it was defo coming in round this tree nail, we both watched inside as the otherran the water. you could see the head leaking inside then run from behind the insulation.

but, having said all that, i am worried now.

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2010 at 13:14
Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

Uwe, are those pictures and this issue recent?

no that was before (or better during) the cage was fitted
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2010 at 13:19
Originally posted by Hoover Hoover wrote:

Uwe the top pic is esentially just withe the outer wing off, yes?.

no. there is also a "Y" shaped strengthener section which needed replacing. Was mostly wetabix as well.
the previous owner(s) had removed the plasric liners in the wheel arches and all the mud and dirt was clogging up everything! The scuttle drains at the sides behind the above mentioned "y" section (run a hose into the little grill below the window and watch where it comes out) and the exit was clogged up with mud. So my scuttle could nicely fill up with water till it was enough to get out of the elephant trunk leaving a nice puddle in the scuttles corner.

this is the finished repair

Edited by UweM3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic