Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMid Range Runflat Tyres

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid Range Runflat Tyres
    Posted: 24-January-2010 at 15:56

Anyone out there tried Mid Range runflats, kuhmo and nokian. If so how did they perform.

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2010 at 08:11

No but when it comes to tyres, seeing as how they are the only thing that keeps you on the black stuff, between the hedges, I wouldn't go penny pinching on tyres.

My Dunlop SP Sport 01 runflats on the front axle are only £4 dearer than the same make, model and size non runflats.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
bign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2010 at 08:48

I run a mobile tyre fitting franchise and fit a lot of premium brand runflat but a lot of my customers (2nd owners) are asking me for mid range runflats which offer all the safety benefits of runflats but are apparently approx 30% cheaper.  I would always strongly recommend customers stick with runflats if that is what their car was fitted with as original.I don't want to supply anything other than premium runflats until I get some positive feedback on them.

Edited by bign
Ballcock View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2010 at 09:18

A work colleage is currently running Kumho runflats on her Mini Cooper and finds no discernible difference between them and the OE Bridgestone runflats (she has a heavy enough right foot). They were considerably cheaper than the Bridgestones too.....

I'd have no problem running the Kumho RF's on all but large high performance machines that will be used the way they were intended !

E34 Pilot - Keeping it Old School on Irish Roads.
Ballcock View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2010 at 09:25

Originally posted by bign bign wrote:

I would always strongly recommend customers stick with runflats if that is what their car was fitted with as original.

Why is that ? Is the ride not usually harsher with the R/F's ?

Can a R/F tyre be repaired (internally patched) once punctured like an ordinary tyre ?

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2010 at 12:24
Originally posted by Ballcock Ballcock wrote:

Originally posted by bign bign wrote:

I would always strongly recommend customers stick with runflats if that is what their car was fitted with as original.

Why is that ? Is the ride not usually harsher with the R/F's ?

I would agree with bign.

The suspension set up taken into account the extra stiffness of a rft side wall over a non rft side wall.  So in theory it should be the same.  If you fit non rfts to a car you may find it a bit wallowy.

My E60 has a softer ride than my first E60 had.  My first E60 had standard suspension with 17" alloys which ran at 41psi at the rear.  My current E60 has sports supension and 18" rims but the tyres only run at 36psi and the ride is softer which I think is due to the change in tyre pressure.

Can a R/F tyre be repaired (internally patched) once punctured like an ordinary tyre ?

No as the rubber compund is different and the glue used in puncture repair doesn't take to the rubber in some rfts.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Ballcock View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2010 at 12:51

So, what's the advantage of the more expensive RFT's then ?

Once punctured, you can drive away on it (at probably max 50mph ?) just as far as the nearest tyre centre to have it replaced at great expense....

For the once every 2 years I might get a puncture I'll take the short term pain of changing my wheel/tyre for a spare, thanks....

I've been running Ultraseal puncture preventative in my daily drive motorbikes for 8+ years now and have been puncture free (TW). It is  a great product with no wheel balance issues as some maintain.

sdunne View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdunne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2010 at 12:13
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

No as the rubber compund is different and the glue used in puncture repair doesn't take to the rubber in some rfts.

Yes they can, i run 205/55 R16 and had both rear tyres on two seperate occasions repaired (one of which was yesterday ) in a BMW dealership, €25 to repair. They remove the tyre from the wheel and repair, with a patch, on the inside of the tyre.

Washed the outside and cleaned the inside of the car so wasn't as bad

Edited by sdunne
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic