Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked00 bmw 316 cab heater and idle problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 00 bmw 316 cab heater and idle problem
    Posted: 15-January-2010 at 19:43
hello all,new comer to the site..i hope someone can help..,i have a oo e46,a few months ago i had water leak into my passenger side footwell,the car was going through a bit of water,i put some rad weild into the car,solved the leak! my car is now giving out very little heat inside,does anyone know where to start,cant afford to leave it in to get sorted....another problem is that the car idles high when warm,ticks over at normal idle when cold? could it be a fault with the engine thermo? 
Sponsored Links

Mike Ryan View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2010 at 20:29

Have you solved the problem with the in-cabin heating yet? I spent yesterday solving a similar problem in an E34. Proved to be the thermostat. I used a clamp to nearly fully close off the top radiator hose to check what would happen before starting engine from cold. I then started the cold engine and as engine warmed heat could be felt from hose between engine and heater flow control solenoid valves within a couple of minutes. Heat was now coming from vents in car. Took off clamp before temperature guage reached half way and immediately coolant flowed into radiator. Immediately heat coming from vents in car reduced and temperature guage showed a slight drop. This proved that thermostat is either open or is not fitted to engine. More than likely a thermostat is not fitted as wax pellet thermostats are more likely to stay closed when they fail to operate.

Will order one from GSF tomorrow. Nothing worse than a damp freezing cabin on there mornings.    

Euro Builts are Better. Drive one and you directly support jobs in the Irish car component manufacturing industry.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic