Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedScrappage Scheme !

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scrappage Scheme !
    Posted: 15-January-2010 at 09:21

I was flicking through Wed's Irish Times Motors supplement last night and they were running an article on EOL vehicles (scrapped cars).

The reporter was visiting a EOL dismantler in Dublin and noticed a lovely '98 740i parked outside. He'd assumed it was the directors car or something and was horrified to find out that it was one of the first cars into the facility under the govt's new scrappage scheme. It was deemed that it was worth less than the €1,500 scrappage allowance due to engine size/tax rate so was scrapped instead. It was heading for the crusher !!!

A Polish worker at the facility said the car was worth up to €6,000 in Poland but under scrappage rules it had to be scrapped and couldn't be put back on the road or exported.

I'm not so sure about this scrappage lark where perfectly useable/serviceable cars are being crushed - at least break and sell for parts if possible.This will mean the end for some lovely E30's, E36's, E34's and no doubt some E38's & E39's....

E34 Pilot - Keeping it Old School on Irish Roads.
Sponsored Links

steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2010 at 09:56
It already has in the UK. Loads of lovely e21's and e30's traded in against Fiat Punto's, little Hyundia's, Kia's and the like. Chances are the old BMW's would still have been on the road after the new stuff had fallen apart in a few years. I know it may have helped the industry a little but considering the environmental effect manufacturing  all the new cars to replace the older ones the scheme has been a failure.
Perhaps a better idea would have been to give the billions used to bail out the bankers to the manufacturing industry to keep people in jobs and let all the greedy bankers lose their jobs instead. The billions they are now paying themselves in bonuses alone ( tax payers money) could have saved hundreds of thousands of jobs, mine included.
1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b318isp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2010 at 10:11
I thing it is disgraceful. Its fundamentally incorrect to destroy a perfectly functional car to prop up failing businesses.

Although I do realise that those made unemployed in the motor industry are the ones really getting it in the neck, the sheer greed and lack of foresight by many of the bigwigs in building huge crystal palaces in prime locations is unfathomable.

I cannot understand how they belived that the could continue to sell the increased volume of cars seen a few years ago. I'd love to see the business model that thought it could sell elevated numders of cars over many years to justify such investments. Once again, the actions of the few are paid for by the many.
Ballcock View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2010 at 10:42

Originally posted by b318isp b318isp wrote:

I thing it is disgraceful. Its fundamentally incorrect to destroy a perfectly functional car to prop up failing businesses.

The scheme was also introduced to bring more environmentally friendly and also safer cars to the roads which I think is also rubbish.

A 740i doing 5k miles a year is going to emmit a hell of a lot less pollutants than a new Punto doing 20k miles a year. Also if I was going to have a prang I know which car I'd like to be having it in and it ain't the Italian....

Fooljam View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fooljam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2010 at 11:14

Anyone has phone coords of this scrap thing?

Surely they recycle plastic etc and can sell parts

I need a M62 4.4 engine, this 740i engine would have done very nicely for me...

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2010 at 12:21

I'd love to see the business model that thought it could sell elevated numders of cars over many years to justify such investments.

On that note, BMW registered 1405 new cars in by the end of December 2009 against 6952 in the same period of 2007, approx 80% drop, and 5627 in 2008.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2010 at 13:36

I've read that the scrappage scheme has worked so well that some manufacturers have had to put the price of their new cars up by £2,000 to compensate for cutting the cost by £2,000.

New cars are all well and good if you plan on keeping them for long enough so that the initial depreciation that happens the moment you drive a brand spnaking new car out of the showroom isn't such a big waste of money.  Take certain French cars, they can be worth on a third of their list price 12 months later.

It's a no brainer unless you had a 12 year old Ford Fiesta and are in the market for another supermini.

A driver of a 12 year old 5er or a 7er isn't going to realistically be able to afford a new 5er or 7er now are they!

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Ballcock View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2010 at 14:21

Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

A driver of a 12 year old 5er or a 7er isn't going to realistically be able to afford a new 5er or 7er now are they!

While in the main you're right but I know of a few people on close to or over 6 figure salaries who simply have no interest in cars and no major outgoings to prevent them buying a new 5 series say - one drives a '97 Golf and the other a '92 E200 Merc.

On the flip side I know a few who are in way above their heads (still working) with heavily financed top end cars that they're struggling to pay back. All looks rosie on the outside indeed...

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b318isp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2010 at 15:29
Originally posted by Ballcock Ballcock wrote:

The scheme was also introduced to bring more environmentally friendly and also safer cars to the roads which I think is also rubbish.

I also understand that the energy and emissions used in manufacturing a car are considerably more than what it uses over its life time.
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2010 at 15:39

I also understand that the energy and emissions used in manufacturing a car are considerably more than what it uses over its life time.

I've seen that written in places but I've also seen figures that suggest that the CO2 impact of producing a new car is somewhere in the order of equivalent to 12-15k miles of driving of a moderately high CO2 outputting car, e.g. a 32% VRT category car.

Like many things when it comes to this environmental issue there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

Did you know that more than 70% of all statistics are made up on the spot?!!

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2010 at 21:53
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

I'd love to see the
business model that thought it could sell elevated numders
of cars over many years to justify such investments.

On that note, BMW registered 1405 new cars in by the end
of December 2009 against 6952 in the same period of 2007,
approx 80% drop, and 5627 in 2008.

But, we won't
really know if the scrappage scheme will have a significant
positive effect on sales given that the economy also will
be (according to some sources) be improving.
It's all part of the green BS we are being fed these days.
Lets be green by being wasteful!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Mike Ryan View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2010 at 23:51

The severe downturn in the economy for private sector workers together with the reduced take home pay for public sector workers will in my opinion get more couples to think scrappage. Savage annual road tax for any car older than a 2008 model that has an engine of 1.8 liters or above coupled with crazy quotes for insurance for family members that are starting to drive is no doubt getting people to consider moving up to a new model. I believe that the NCT will be required to be done annually shortly on older models that are of scrappage age. I have spoken to a good friend who has nearly been convinced by a sales man to scrap his beloved E34 and buy a new fiesta. The sales man discussed options with my friend regarding the finance of the new car. Figures were put on the annual fuel savings, annual road tax savings, insurance savings for the 2 young drivers in the household, savings in the cost of NCT preparation by the sales man. These savings would nearly cover the annual repayments on a loan to the value of 50% of the new car value, over 5 years, so the sales man said. The sales man even discussed the possibility of changing from VHI for the families voluntary insurance to Quinn Direct and putting the annual saving towards a downpayment on the new car. In these hard pressed times for car sales men I suppose that they need to do what they got to do to sell sell sell.

If the Irish economy stays in the doldrums tight family budgets will result in lots of cherished quality models over 10 years old being scrapped for smaller runabouts. Some of us may find it sickening, but forced economics dictate that people may have to put their pride in their pocket and drive something smaller.   

Euro Builts are Better. Drive one and you directly support jobs in the Irish car component manufacturing industry.
Curley View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2010 at 21:57

Honestly I don't see this making the same impact of the 1st scrappage scheme of the 90s, it's not going to kill off loads of good quality motors because the uptake is going to be a lot lower. Back then the Irish fleet was old, battered, non NCT'ed, credit was good and Ireland was on the up. The people who got bought new back then tended to change the car every 2 or 3 years since, whilst the people who have the 10+ y/o motor either a) cannot afford a new car or b) just don't buy into the new reg brigade.

The simple fact is if you go in with no trade in you're going to get a similar or better discount.

My wife '96 car is due replacment, she has it almost 10years with 190k on the clock. As a PHN she's not going to go out and buy a new car or a BMW (she had the option there but gone anti-bmw) but probably a 08 motor, derv and it will be ran again for another 10 to 12 years. 

Most people know it's financial madness for any family strapped for cash to go out and buy a new car, if they want economy, cheap tax buy a 5 or 6 year old 1.4 d4d corolla or equivalent.

Edited by Curley
'90 e34 520i, '83 e28 525i, '81 e28 520i, '79 e24 635i, '75 2002tii, '73 2002 touring, '71 2002, '70 2000tilux,
netwhizkid View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netwhizkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2010 at 23:02
It is total lunacy and complete distortion of the market and all it really represents is a bailout to the SIMI ripoff merchants.

It makes no logical or practical sense, for anyone stupid enough to beleive the whole global warming *cough* "Climate Change" scam this makes no sense to even the most liberal ecowarrior.

It is far better for the environment for someone to massive BMW, Merc, luxobarge doing 15mpg second hand than it is to buy one of these absolute pieces of tin can sh1t from Asia, also far safer etc. Put a  1980's or 1990's 5 or 7 series (maybe even a 3) up against any of these asian crap in a collision and I know where I rather be seated if such a calamity occurred!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waj2KrKYTZo

This is a crime against motoring and it is like torturing a animal!

Edited by netwhizkid
1997 316iSE AUTO E36 (UK Import) 1595cc, All Electrics, Digital Climate Control A/C, All Leather, Midnight Blue. 30MPG
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2010 at 11:19

Im not sure what the legislation is here but i know in the UK parts can be sold from the scrapped cars so at least some good is coming of it. Its still a crime to see whats actually being crushed. Check this out from one of the UK recycling facilities:

http://www.u-pull-it.co.uk/lotDetail.html?lotId=22553209& ;searchType=HOME

Check out some of the other BMW's they have that will be crushed once parts are removed.

99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
Ballcock View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2010 at 15:46

Originally posted by Mike Ryan Mike Ryan wrote:

I have spoken to a good friend who has nearly been convinced by a sales man to scrap his beloved E34 and buy a new fiesta. The sales man discussed options with my friend regarding the finance of the new car.

I hope you've convinced him otherwise.

Anyhow, the one thing that the salesman wouldn't have mentioned to your friend is the massive depreciation on a new car - the biggest (rarely mentioned) expense in motoring. An E34 has done 95% of its depreciation, more than likely will be bought for cash (hence no repayments/interest) and hence will be far cheaper to run over 3 years than any Fiesta. Yeah fuel consumption may be slightly higher as will your road tax but it'll still work out far cheaper. I've never spent a penny on NCT preparation(and never had an issue passing it) - any E34 can be kept in top shape with it's annual service and a little bit of preventative maintenance. Insurance on these old luxobarges is pretty reasonable too (€325 TPFT, 32yo on a '95 520i). I'd assume that Fully Comp on a new Fiesta will be a fair bit more than that.

Lower insurance for new teen drivers is the only real advantage of a new Fiesta in my book. Then again I wouldn't let a teenager near my new 10 reg'd car anyhow....

Edited by Ballcock
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2010 at 17:09
I think the scrappage scheme is one of those things that people get very worked up about but in reality will have little impact on old BMWs. Lets face it it's not like they were worth anything before the scheme and plenty of older ones were broken for spares anyway. Besides how many owners of old BMWs are really going to be trading them in for new superminis? I'm sure there will be a few but most people who drive OLD BMWs would rather die than settle for a new Hyundi
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Fooljam View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fooljam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2010 at 22:30
Originally posted by Ben O Brien Ben O Brien wrote:

Im not sure what the legislation is here but i know in the UK parts can be sold from the scrapped cars so at least some good is coming of it. Its still a crime to see whats actually being crushed. Check this out from one of the UK recycling facilities:

http://www.u-pull-it.co.uk/lotDetail.html?lotId=22553209& ; ; ;searchType=HOME

Check out some of the other BMW's they have that will be crushed once parts are removed.

If am not mistaken, this one is actually getting a second life, at least the engine...

It will be retrofitted in a e39 5 series.

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=50136

That's an interresting project.

Edited by Fooljam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic