Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWindow won’t come down

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Window won’t come down
    Posted: 14-January-2010 at 10:14

Hi, during the frost, I think I might have broken something with the Window mechanism on drivers side. I can hear the motor when I press the window to come down but nothing happens. If I physically pull the Window after pressing the button, it will come down about quarter way. If I press back up, the window goes up fine.

Any advice, help would be much appreciated. The car is year 2000 523i

Many thanks,

Mick.

Edited by MickD
Sponsored Links

ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2010 at 11:23

Sounds like the motor is ok as it is going down, you have proved that by being able to lower the window after pressing the button.

First thing to do is check the glass is not sticking somewhere or come off a guide or runner, you will need to remove the door card to have a look at the guides etc.

click here for door removal guide

E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

MickD View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2010 at 16:37

Hi, I got as far as removing the door panel and some of the material that covers the viewing access to see the window motor, I can see the mechanism going down on a wire so to speak and stops after about 6 inches, I then have to manually push the window on to the mechanism and when I push the button to go back up, I can see the mechanism pushing it back up,  not sure what I am really looking for though!! Access is very limited too. Any advice would be great.

The mechanism never actually lets me push the window fully down either... head wrecking!

Many thanks,

Mick.,

ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2010 at 16:49
When this happened to me, although it was the reverse, mines wouldn't go all the way up, it was a cable that had been pulled out of the upright channel / window lifter at the front end & was causing a jam, the white plastic edge protector at the bottom of the glass then would jam on it, have a look for something like that, the cable is around 2mm diameter & should be inside the channel / window lifter
E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

MickD View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2010 at 11:50

Thanks for all your help, just got to looking at this again properly this morning. The slot or gripper that the window sits into on the motor had lost it's grip on the Window and come loose. I just had to hold the mechanism physically and line it up with the window as I manually put some pressure on the window to get it back into the slot on the mechanism, awkward tight area to get at though!

Mind you the gripper or mechanism could probably do with some tightening to grip the Window better though, not too sure how do this. On the other hand, you could probably go to far on tightening and crack the Window!

Thanks for all the help.

Mick.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic