Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLowering springs 540i

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lowering springs 540i
    Posted: 28-December-2009 at 23:21

Hi guys, been thinking about changing the springs on my 540i for some time, mainly as its done a little over 100k miles now and I expect they are a little worn now, of course the shocks also would be worn....even more so.

Thing is I always bulk at the idea at the last minute because I cannot get a definative answer on what ones to go for and what the ride height implications would be.

My car was equiped with Msport suspension from the factory so when I see ones suggesting a certain height drop what are they comparing to, Msport  or standard?  I do in in fact want to drop it some to compliment my 19" wheels as the fronts especially look very high compared to the backs.

It is not in anyway a daily or weekly driver so although I dont want it hard as rock a bit firmer is ok especially as I live down a long country road thats well surfaced but has some challenging bends and curves that my wifes 2004 330cl just laps up, mine does tend to need a bit more planning on the twisty bits so any improvement would be great.

So to the point what kit should I be looking at and has anyone done the same on a 1999 540i and if so what was your results like.

Thanks in advance

Jeff TT

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2009 at 15:17

I'm a great believer in leaving cars as the manufacturer intended.

IMO I would put back the MSports shocks and springs.

The MSports supension on the E60 sits 15 mm lower than standard.  The drops you are reading about will be height change from the standard suspension height, not MSports set ups.

I've got MSports Suspension on my E60 and it is noticeably lower than the standard E60.  I also have 245/45 x 18 fronts and 275/35 x 18 rears and the ride is spot on for me.

If you go too low with 19s you may find that your wheel arch fouls the tyres at full suspension travel which obviously is not a good idea!

It would be best to do springs and shock at the same time to avoid any possible damage to which ever one you don't replace first.  But obviously ££££s prevail!

HTH

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2010 at 11:56
First thing to say is that if any of the susp bits are worn then you really can't judge your beemer's handling.  BMW put a lot into the design and placed a huge reliance (too much IMO) on bits that wear out, with the result that (again, just IMO) beemer handling degrades more noticeably as components wear than that of 'lesser' machines.

If money was no object you could have a laugh seeing if a more attractive setup coincided with a more effective one chasing your wife's car, but otherwise I'd have to side with Andrew - nobody likes the beemer high-nose look but lowering the nose without changing anything else would be a bit risky if handling matters. 

Having said that I have adulterated my 540 a fair bit! 

A random 2nd hand 18mm rear ARB off an M5 did exactly what I hoped it would (gave a more integral body roll in bends) and without the hedge-hunting oversteer I was warned about, but that was just £50 and an hour so not much to lose...  I also polybushed the front with no ill effects on nvh (it got better, and the handling was startlingly better), altho in doing them I noticed that some @*%& had previously put the old solid rubber ones on so maybe no surprise! When I did the rear subframe bushes it did introduce a bit more cabin noise, and didn't improve anything else, so there I lost (altho the fitting ease was almost worth it). 

I also stuck staggered E39 rims on, just because I had them to hand to try, and I really like them, esp combined with the thicker rear ARB...

So...it's a gamble but can be fun!

Somebody must have tried this before tho - any takers?

Edited by jetsetwilly2000
E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

525ixi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 525ixi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2010 at 13:12
having lowered an lot of bmw's for customers ( advising them to leave well enought alone ) Firstly get it checked out i doubt if the springs or shocks are gone milage to low more than likely u brushings are worn and this disimproves handling greatly plus tyre choice good rubber makes such a difference i recomend mitchelen pilot sports they expensive but they so good prob 255 on the back and 235/245 on the front whitch ever u prefer.. but i wouldn't lower the car hope this helps 
ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2010 at 14:48

I don't think I will ever lower my 530, but if I did it would be with Eibach Pro Kit springs, coupled with Eibach Pro Kit dampers, this was a huge success on my E36, & I know another member with a lowered E39 on Eibachs & he is happy with the set up. Ride & comfort are not compromised with these, probably mostly due to the build quality of the 5ers, & as mentioned above I would definitely be looking at bushes first, & I would uprate the bushes to polybushes, probably Powerflex, if lowering.

HTH

E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

Fooljam View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fooljam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2010 at 13:44

H&R springs or OEM (Yes they are good)

Koni Yellow Sport shocks. They are very good on the 540i, same model for the M5. You can adjust them. Koni is made in Netherlands, they are excellent and half the price of equivalent from BMW Dealer. You can get a set of 4 for like 1000 £ in the UK. Lowest I found was 950 £.

OEM shocks are Sachs, they are good but have a low life expectency.

Picture of my Koni shock for reference

jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2010 at 14:32
On my old E34 I couldn't find aftermarket springs that fit the MTech top mounts (they said they did but...) so I gave up.  Not sure if this is a problem on the E39?

E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

Fooljam View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fooljam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2010 at 16:11

Originally posted by jetsetwilly2000 jetsetwilly2000 wrote:

On my old E34 I couldn't find aftermarket springs that fit the MTech top mounts (they said they did but...) so I gave up.  Not sure if this is a problem on the E39?

Not a problem on the e39, plenty of aftermarket choice.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic