Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedShepsM3 New Project car.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ShepsM3 New Project car.
    Posted: 28-December-2009 at 23:05

Hi all,

I've had around 10 years experiance or so on and off with the E30 M3, but certainly over the past 4 years, I've been pretty involved with these cars with respect to R&D, tuning, repairing, maintaining and of course driving them.

For the past couple of years or so I've had the urge to build an S14 engine or a whole E30 M3 which is in need of some work and make it a minter as well as a stormer. But I guess money and time not being freely available has always put a stop to purchasing anymore cars. More recently I've been working more with Grant from Grant Motorsport who is much bigger in VW's. But his engine building capabilities and his approach to building race winning cars and engines re-lit my urge to build a pukka E30 M3. Recently he has built a few engines for me including a couple of S14's and they really have turned out to be very impressive and after some discussions and his enthusiasm for BMW's also, we decided to buy Simon's (thepits) early 195bhp M3.

The car certainly does drive very well. Although it feels a little vague on the front sometimes because of the incorrect standard E30 lollypop bushes fitted, but it's like putting on your favourite old slippers, it is a joy to drive.

Stock engine bay with the exception to a Sparco Strut Brace. I was pleased to see this as these cars do suffer from cracking around the front suspension top mounts and bulkhead if driven hard without the strut brace fitted. A good check around here saw there is no such issues. However, how long this engine bay will remain standard looking is anyones guess :wink:

And now the interior. Although the colour has grown on me over the past weeks of ownership, I think it does have to go, what do you guys think?

She isn't without its problems. A quick scoot round and there is already a long list of to do's:

Diff starting to get noisey - could be prop center bearing?
Clutch has seen better days,
Starter motor faulty,
3rd and 4th gears a bit nitchy and synchro's weak,
Wrong lollipop bushes have been fitted,
Front lower arm inner joints worn,Gear linkage very sloppy,
Radiator has slight leak,
List goes on... but I'll cover it all in future updates :wink:

Plans so far are a little sketchy, one part of me just wants to sort out all the issues it has and make it into a really nice car, the other part of me (and Grant) wants to modify it 300bhp+ and show what can be done to an S14. Either way, I'll be updating the journal with pictures during the transformation process :D

Paul.

Edited by SHEPSM3
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2009 at 00:26
Best of luck with it!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
stevesingo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2009 at 11:31
AH ha. Let the fun (and frustration) begin.

Best of luck

Steve
1990 Sport Evo No.47 Motec EMS
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2009 at 12:39

So now you know where she went.

I was so sad  to let her go, but she needed TLC that I didn't have the time, money or facilities to give her.

Paul has, (well, 2 out of 3 at the moment ) and the enthusiasm - so good luck to you mate

p.s. leave the interior, it'll grow on you - honest 

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2009 at 13:10

Thanks people,

I've done some work on her already, but will update as soon as I get the pics loaded up onto my laptop.

Also, thanks to Simon for selling the car to me

Edited by SHEPSM3
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2009 at 19:48

Ok, here is what I've done so far...

The gear linkage was very sloppy and a quick look underneath showed that the rear linkage bush was worn and the rubber had become detatched from the mounting bracket:

Fitted:

This bearing as BMW call it made the world of difference, but there is still too much play side to side, which is the front joint which connects to the linkage which goes into the gearbox. Inside this joint is also a rubbery foam spacer which dampens vibration from the gearbox. I would imagine all the "buzzing" gear lever threads would be cured pretty much just by replacing this spacer. Pics to follow when I get round to replacing the joint and spacer.

The radiator has seen much better days as you can see, but it had just started to leak. I was going to get it re-cored but the top radiator outlet came away with the hose, so a complete new radiator was required. Removing the radiator, the bottom rubber mounts came with it, so I refitted these with the correct plastic rivets. Also half the radiator was blocked with birds feathers!

Strange thing is, while the radiator was out, I steam cleaned around the lower front panel and undertray, also to clear out some remains of a dead bird , some water must have damaged the resistor for the cooling fan slow speed circuit as directly after this, that part of it stopped working. Also, I tested the high speed switch in the bottom of the radiator which proved it is also faulty, so new resistor and sensor are on order.

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2009 at 20:03

Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

The gear linkage was very sloppy and a quick look underneath showed that the rear linkage bush was worn and the rubber had become detatched from the mounting bracket:This bearing as BMW call it made the world of difference, but there is still too much play side to side, which is the front joint which connects to the linkage which goes into the gearbox. Inside this joint is also a rubbery foam spacer which dampens vibration from the gearbox. I would imagine all the "buzzing" gear lever threads would be cured pretty much just by replacing this spacer.
they can't last long - I'd already replaced all them bits!  

The radiator has seen much better days , so a complete new radiator was required.  Also half the radiator was blocked with birds feathers! I steam cleaned around the lower front panel and undertray, also to clear out some remains of a dead bird ,
It was only a little bird thank g*d it wasn't a Eagle

But don't care.
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2009 at 21:11

Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

they can't last long - I'd already replaced all them bits!  

Yeah, I do wonder sometimes about the quality of some of the "genuine" parts BMW sell these days.

It was only a little bird thank g*d it wasn't a Eagle

One thing is for sure Simon, the bird was definately nude when it died

Edited by SHEPSM3
Hoover View Drop Down
black beast with four legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2009 at 17:58
well i never thought it was simon's!..rest assured simon, it couldnt have gone to a better home mate
88 E30 M3 fast(er than it was, ta Shep and Grant)

and a k8 2008 busa...faster still

(focus RS gone to good home - but never forgotton, eh Shep)
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2009 at 19:29

Originally posted by Hoover Hoover wrote:

rest assured simon, it couldnt have gone to a better home mate

Yep, I know. That's why she went there as opposed to some unknown numbty.

And, as part of the deal I get first-goes in her reincarnation

But don't care.
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2009 at 21:01

dont know whether Paul told you but Grant has rebuilt my engineand Paul has unichipped it - now its run in we (grant is) changing the cams round a bit then Paul will do a propper map and then....whipeee!

i'm sure Paul has a few ideas for your one to!

Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2009 at 21:42
.....sorry Simon, mine is an It

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2009 at 21:47

and always does what it is told?

HaHa - thought not

It's a She - trust me

But don't care.
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2009 at 21:52

and always does what it is told?

HaHa - thought not

It's a She - trust me

I was calling it/she/her (whatever) a BI76H the other day!  In other words... 2 words came into my head... one was female and the other was dog!

Well, the M3 has been a pleasure to drive for the past week or so  The mid-range punch this M3 has got is addictive but the M3 is going to get a whole lot better in the not too distant future

Edited by SHEPSM3
steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2009 at 23:18
That looks a good pukka project. I'm looking forward to your updates. Good luck with it. 

Poor Simon, I feel for you losing the one you love 
1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2009 at 23:24
Originally posted by steven.seed steven.seed wrote:

But don't care.
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2009 at 23:26

Oh come on Simon, she's only down the road

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2009 at 11:14

Oh come on Simon, she's only down the road

yeah I know & in good hands - enjoy

But don't care.
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2009 at 17:01
by the way, i looked underneath mine and its an it..

M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2010 at 11:32
Good luck with the project Paul.

Simon, how long did it take for the interior to grow on you? I think thats whats called oxblood, please correct me if I'm wrong, and I think it was fitted to alot of alpine white american M3's, so you would have no problem on ebay with it.
E30 M3 Macao blue metallic Evolution 2
E39 530d Sport Auto, Aegean blue Edition, Sat Nav, TV, comms pack etc.
E39 540i Auto, Sat Nav, TV, leather, luxo barge
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic