Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLet it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!
    Posted: 28-December-2009 at 20:43

Just on a note Andrew Rolland was saying in his thread about his mishap with a pothole about the snow and public transport...... (something along the lines of using a rear wheel drive BMW rather than public transport)

Last Monday I was a victim of a freak snow storm that only covered Berkshire and Basingstoke. We had over 2 inches of snow in under an hour and within that time, every single road was totally gridlocked. My service manager left work about an hour after the snow started and managed to drive 50 yards in an hour and a half. A few hours later about 8 of us decided as the road were a no go as there were cars and lorries abandoned everywhere, we checked the trains which were running on time! We all walked to the local station with maccie d's on the way, courtesy of the company, and eventually got a train at 20.42 which was crammed like a tin of sardines but left on time and arrived at my station on time.

In conclusion then, in heavy snow (by far the most snow I've ever seen in my entire life!) don't take your rear wheel drive BMW because you'll use half a tank of fuel just getting to the next car park only then to abandon it in favour of the trains which run on time in the worst of weather conditions!  go figure!

I can only assume us 'southerners' can't handle more than 1 cm of snow without everything grinding to a halt. In fact, Reading council were very heavily critiscised by the AA because they'd not even sent the gritters out before the event. For the first time in my life, I take my hat off to a train company. Niether the train being best nor the heavy snow will probably ever happen in my life time again so I doubt it's a situation i'll be in again. In all I arrived 5 hours later than I should have. I'm so glad the trains were on time, I dread to think if they'd been delayed as bad as the roads were congested!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Sponsored Links

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2009 at 22:53
Funny that, I went to drop our lass off in town as she was going to a staff party. On the way back the snow got worse (this was before xmas). It was getting packed on the roads so it looked like a sheet of white glass.

There I was driving along quite happily in my Volvo T5 estate (winter mode selected so as not to spin the front wheels) got up to a bridge before our village and a blasted 5 series pulled out on me...  I wouldn't care but it pulled out at a snails pace so much so I had to slam my brakes on - anti-lock stepped in. I then had to crawl behind this numpty hoping I wouldn't slide on the road going down the other side and bang into them. It's no wonder swedes etc. laugh at us when the country grinds to a halt at the slightest whiff of snow when they're driving about following polar bears footprints.

Edited by Rhys
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2009 at 22:55

Kof....sorry mate

Best Wishes

Nigel

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2009 at 16:02
Originally posted by 540 V8 540 V8 wrote:

Just on a note Andrew Rolland was saying in his thread about his mishap with a pothole about the snow and public transport...... (something along the lines of using a rear wheel drive BMW rather than public transport)

Indeedley I did.

The bus timetable out my way has been slashed due to cuts (thanks bus company you did offer a good service but not now) so there are fewer busses out my way so if one gets held up it throws out what few busses there are on the route well off the timetable.

Busses out. 

The trains around Glasgow were stuck due to the fact that an electric train got stuck in the neutral section (isolated bit of overhead wire system that keeps two adjacent electrical sections seperate) so as a result nothing could get in or out of Glasgow Central station bringing a fair chunk of the rail network out of action.

Bring back diesel (one of a few good uses of a diesel engine)locomotive hauled trains so no need for horrible OLE!  Or indeed bring back steam engines!

Trains out

Only option, rear wheel drive BMW driven with due care and attention for the conditions.  I guess I was just lucky that I left early enough to avoid any problems and of course due to the time of year the roads around Glasgow are a lot quieter due to holidays etc.  Its always easier to drive to work around Glasgow on the last few days before Crimbo due to the holidays.

I can only assume us 'southerners' can't handle more than 1 cm of snow without everything grinding to a halt.

Glad you said it an not me

You do have a good point.  All it takes is one ot two person(s) who cannot cope with driving in snow as in that part of the world it isn't very common and the roads will very quickly jam up as others then struggle behind that person just as Rhys was saying.

In fact, Reading council were very heavily critiscised by the AA because they'd not even sent the gritters out before the event.

Yeah the coooncils should hang their heads in shame.  It was forcasted, well certainly the stuff we had but what did they do about it, feck all.

It's not like November was cold and they used all the grit/salt up then!

Atleast we can all say we are all safe and that's the main thing.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2009 at 19:33

in heavy snow don't take your rear wheel drive BMW
What rubbish! some people just don't know how to have fun!
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2009 at 15:01

Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

in heavy snow don't take your rear wheel drive BMW
What rubbish! some people just don't know how to have fun!

Tut, tut Simon, you obviously didn't read everything I put! You can't have fun stuck in traffic that boxes you in and can't move. Now when I pulled into the car park on the previous Friday, the snow had only 1 set of tracks and 1 car parked so I switched off my ASR and gave it some beans forming about 15 dohnuts before I let the wheels grip and then did several handbrake turns. I was just trying a figure of 8 when other people started to park so I thought it best to stop hehe!

Now THAT is how you have fun in the snow!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic