Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - RFT Tyres - the joys and damage photos - Council Payout!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRFT Tyres - the joys and damage photos - Council Payout!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RFT Tyres - the joys and damage photos - Council Payout!!!
    Posted: 16-December-2009 at 19:32

Driving home tonight, just toodling at 50 mph, 5 mins from home.  Concious that the car behind had come from nowhere, on coming car, I'll just move over a bit to give him a bit of room and then an almighty bang.

Oh feck 

Senses back together, round the next bend, car feels to be vibrating, can't tell from where, indicate to let the boy behind pass me, and bump flat tyre indicator comes on.

Oh feck 

Vibration bit worse.  Limp it home at 40 mph and park in the drive way.  Front nearside looks o.k., press side wall, firm. Oh feck it must be a rear tyre which were new only 9 months ago. Rear nearside looks o.k., press side wall, firm. Pressure gauge out, N/S/R tyre pressure spot on.  N/S/F tyre about 8 psi.

Couldn't see any damage, pumped tyre up, initialised the rft monitor for reset, took for drive up to 60 mph, fine, rft monitor now says set.

Hmmm

Car then vibrates again, no flat tyre indicator,  back home, check pressure on N/S/F tyre - 8 psi.

Oh feck

Phoned local council to report pothole and that I have damaged tyre and mibbie the rim.  "No problem sir I'll send a claim form out to you". Good stuff, restored my faith in the local cooooncil .  Could be a big claim, one tyre will be getting on for £200 and the rim would be atleast that.

Can't really drive the car as the tyre will just go flat again. And this is the real clincher, as it has run flat tyres, I have no chuffin' spare to put on!

I don't really want to drive it knowing that I have a wheel/tyre fault. 

What a wonderful invention Run Flat Tyres are! 

Mibbie I'll ask Santa for one of these, having possibly had to buy one of these first

There is one silver lining I suppose, is that the front tyres were getting thin with ~3mm tread depth left.  But should get a few more thousand out of them yet.

Learned that I can't tell from pressing the sidewall on a 40 profile RFT that it is flat! D'oh!

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Rolland
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2009 at 19:52
I thought they were not supposed to go bang.
Could it be a faulty tyre?
1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2009 at 08:11

The bang was my description of the noise that came from the car on impact with the pot hole.

Tyre has not blown or anything but leaking from somewhere.  Will remove it tonight and have a swatch at it.

Spoke to a neighbour this morning at the bus stop who remarked as to why I was slumming it on the bus.  Told her the story and she said that I would have a fight with the council as to wether or not their road surface was at fault or not that caused the tyre to go flat.

Off to phone local garage for a price for a tyre.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2009 at 23:07

Taken tyre off car.

Oh feck

When I get round to posting the pics you will see why I have decided to get a new rim and tyre.

Tyre still has 5mm of tread on it too which is a big bummer!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2009 at 22:05

Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

When I get round to posting the pics you will see why I have decided to get a new rim and tyre.

Oh feck

Oh feck

So do you reckon I can buff that out with the Megs G220 and some aggressive polish then?

I reckon its deformed by 20 mm or so.  If the rim has deformed that much I hate to think of the forces that went thru the tyre sidewall.  Hence why I am not taking any chances and getting a new rim and tyre.

To be fair the runflat did its job and allowed me to get home and indeed let me drive it a short distance again without any dramas.  If I had an ordinary tyre I would be picking bits of it out of the pothole and it would most probably have come off the rim and I would have then destroyed the rim driving the 2 miles or so home.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2009 at 08:43

Wahey

Car now has a shiny new rim and a new tyre.  Fitted it last night after spending 2 hours tyring to get home by chuffin' bus.  Glad I didn't go for the train from Central seeing has how they were all off!

Took the car out this morning in the snow for the first time in a week.  No issues what so ever.

If you want to make progress in the snow don't take public transport but take a rear wheel drive BMW!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2009 at 11:08

Hadn't kept up with this thread so just saw the photo's of the damage now.  That is fairly well goosed!  A new wheel was the right solution.  Might be worth checking with a refurber though as to whether the wheel can be restored.  If its not cracked then maybe it can be.

A spare in your shed might be a useful thing at some point in the future, if only to save the downtime associated with the lead-time on wheel and tyre if you encounter such an occassion again.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2009 at 11:47

Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

That is fairly well goosed!

Aye that's the polite way of describing the damage.

Going to get the suspension checked at local garage next week. 

I'm going to order an emergency spare from BMW in the new year so as you say to keep the car on the road if that happens again. It's a special order from Germany so best to wait till after the holidays.

It wasn't the runflats that let me down but the actual rim failing, hence why I was off the road.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2009 at 12:11

I enquired about a spacesaver for a colleague swapping from RFT's on his e70.  For it, they seem to come as either a rim only, no tyre, or as part of a retro-fit kit that includes whel, tyre, jack, etc. 

I rang a dealer in NI too as I found a big price difference recently on a mfsw retro-fit kit for the e46.  Even up there the spacesaver kit was somewhere around the £250-300 mark, with vat, etc. iirc.  Rim only wasn't a great deal less.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2009 at 12:34

Local (nice) BMW dealer quoted me £155 + VAT for the retro fit kit which comes with the jack etc.

Its a £75 option on a new E60!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2009 at 18:11

Update

Car went in to local garage (non BMW who also supplied the tyre and rim) for a full four wheel alignement and a suspension check.

Garage gave it a clean bill of health and only had to do minor adjustments to the tracking at the front.

When driving it on Tue it did have a pull to the left and a vibration which wasn't there prior to the incident plus the runflat tyre warning came on while doing 70 (ish) mph on the M8.

She now tracks straight and true and I have had my faith restored in driving it as I was slightly un nerved driving it until I had it checked.

The suspension must be strong indeed, she's a tuff beast.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Rolland

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Rob5678 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob5678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2010 at 21:27
I would charge the council for all the inconvenience as well. Why do we as a nation put up with this Sh!t . We pay Road Tax and a substantial amount of fuel duty and yet none of it seems to be put to road repairs .

Sorry to rant and take over your thread

Best of luck with the council claim

Rob
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2010 at 08:31

I had written to the council telling them what happend, including photos of the damage to the wheel, pictures of the rapidly filled in pothole, copies of quotes for the tyre and rim and a copy of my £515 bill.

Two days ago I received a letter from a firm of Solicitors acting on the councils behalf, explaining that the council have passed them my claim and that they would contact me shortly.

I was a bit suprised to hear that, if it was a flat rejection surely the council would have told me to go and jump?

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2010 at 10:08
Nah, probably standard practice I'm afraid. They must be bricking it atm with so many potholes in the roads, which I fear doesn't bode well for your claim.

Best of luck tho - nill illigitimo carborundum...
E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2010 at 19:48

Any news on the claim yet Andrew?

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
straight_6 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straight_6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2010 at 21:40

Chaps just as a side note, there is a great video on the "Fifth Gear" website reference the pothole problems around the UK roads. It has a good deal of info on what we should do if we are in the same situation as Andy. It will tell you what we should do in respect of photos and information needed from us to pass onto the relevant council. 

As previously mentioned we pay some much road tax and fuel duty you have to ask where the money goes? ( MP expeditures, bank bailouts, paying for the American lead war etc) it makes you sick. Not to mention the cost of RFT.

Anyhow its worth a watch when you get a spare 5 mins. Keep us posted Andy on the claim outcome.

cheers Imran.  

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2010 at 08:19

I use this website to report potholes

http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/hazards/report

and I know that it works as I have received feedback from the council

The council have written to me to tell me that my claim has been passed to a solicitior...after the solicitor had written to me to tell me that the council has passed on my claim.  That all costs money...

Interestingly enough the council are actually digging up the road into my estate, they have marked out with spray paint areas to re-patch, yet they have blatantly ignored two deep potholes which I know for a fact have been reported to them!  God, it gets me so annoyed.  They are going to patch small holes 100 mm x 100 mm x <20mm deep but are ignoring two 400 mm x 400 mm x 100 mm deep potholes.

Rant over...

breathe...

..and relax

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2010 at 20:44

I'd say on the B roads on my route home, I currently pass in excess of 50-60 potholes (in the space of 8 miles!). There is one road I use which you can tell has been patched in many areas many times and because of the snow and ice of December/January it is now getting to the point where the potholes are joining up and there are loose stones everywhere. The really stupid thing is, it's a residential road and a main through road which helps avoid the motorway and even on a good day it's fairly busy. In the next month or so, if it doesn't get patched up it's going to be practically inpassable.

I was followed by the police down another road last night on the way home and I was weaving all over the road to avaid the cracks and holes in the road. I got a bit paranoid they may think I was drunk or something but when I checked them in my rear view mirror, they were weaving in the same pattern as I was!

I can understand that sudden road breakage on such a massive scale like this cannot be instantly fixed but surely they can send survey vehicles out to the main routes, mark the bad spots then report back and send out the 'fixers' If each patch takes them say 10 minutes, they could easily have a few of the roads round my way done in the space of a week.

Surely the claims will far outweigh the money they could spend avoiding them?

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2010 at 08:26

Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Interestingly enough the council are actually digging up the road into my estate, they have marked out with spray paint areas to re-patch, yet they have blatantly ignored two deep potholes which I know for a fact have been reported to them!  God, it gets me so annoyed.  They are going to patch small holes 100 mm x 100 mm x <20mm deep but are ignoring two 400 mm x 400 mm x 100 mm deep potholes.

Got home last night to find the above potholes that had been previously ignored, have had the surfacing local to the hole removed and are now ready for re-surfacing.  I take it back.

I would have said that if the police did pull you over Mike it wouldn't take much explaining in that you were avoiding potholes.  Plod won't like them either.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
siwilson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siwilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2010 at 10:07
Interestingly, I am going theough exactly the same process myself at the moment.

About a month ago I hit a pothole while out in my E60. A big bang and the tar felt like it had been launched. 100 yards down the road all seemed normal so I thought I had got away with it, but no. Next morning the tyre is totally flat and setting off all the warnings. On closer inspection the rim looked similar to the previous photo and the tyre had a huge bulge in the sidewall.

I am currently sitting at £250 for the new wheel, £390 for two new Bridgestones and £70 for a full (not BMW KDS) laser alignment. I had to go for two tyres as Michelin will not be making any until end of March and they speciflcally advise against mixing on an axle (not that I would want to anyway). I am persuing a claim against Surrrey county council and received a similar letter regarding their insurance company.

I can take the odd pothole as being part of life, but this was a crater that had already been marked for repair. It's criminal they decided to mark it with a thin white line instead of a cone or someting else a driver could actually see, especially at night. I was lucky I was in a car. A motorcyclist could well have been killed.

2001 S54 M Roadster - Laguna Seca Blue

2001 E39 530i - Glacier Green

2006 E60 530d - Silver Grey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic