Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockede30 m3 exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keith2874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: e30 m3 exhaust
    Posted: 14-December-2009 at 21:00
Hello all

I have just bought a very nice 1987 non cat e30 m3 to replace the evo 2 I foolishly sold 3 years ago. It is totally standard with the exception of the exhaust system

I believe the exhaust is standard bmw with a scorpian back box but it is possible it could be a full scorpian system.

What is the best option for replacing this - I would like to return the car to standard but at £378 for a BMW back box the prices are a bit punchy!

Please can you advise what the best way forward is

thanks

Keith

Sponsored Links

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2009 at 21:31

there are loads and loads and........ of threads on this, but IMHO (& some others ) the best replacement for a standard system is Miltek.

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2009 at 13:30
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

there are loads and loads and........ of threads on this, but IMHO (& some others ) the best replacement for a standard system is Miltek.

Miltek is maybe the best value for money system. Just don't forget to mention the problems they had with the centre box....

I would go for Supersprint centre and BMW back box
Or Supersprint centre with Supersprint back box

Can you not weld the current back box you have? I remember welding my OEM backbox 5 times before I called it a day and bought a used Eisenmann

Edited by UweM3
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2009 at 21:57

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Miltek is maybe the best value for money system. Just don't forget to mention the problems they had with the centre box....
OK, I'll mention it

The first batch of Milteks appeared to have a problem.

I believe I was one of the first to have it fitted (August 2003) to a daily road-going E30 M3, so after a while the centre box cracked.

It was replaced (June 2004) under warranty FOC by them - and fitted at their base.

Over a year later (November 2005) I had a slight blow in the centre box, but again it was replaced FOC with no problem with their Mk3 version. 

Since then it has been fine - so IMHO the early problems have been fixed.

If you're using the car as a normal road-car then I don't think you can do better, it's not noisy, and it's warranty repaired all the time you own the car.

(and no, I don't have shares in the company)

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
falkster View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2009 at 20:37
I'd go for the Supersprint centre section and standard back box. Ive had 3 Miltek centre sections and all have had issues so rather then mess about again I replaced with supersprint. I did go for a hartge back box though.
Z3M Roadster (gone....just...but not forgotten...yet)
E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
BMW 330d (new work horse)
Daimler Double 6 (no idea yet)
Hoover View Drop Down
black beast with four legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2009 at 10:42

I would go for Supersprint centre and BMW back box
Or Supersprint centre with Supersprint back box

Can you not weld the current back box you have? I remember welding my OEM backbox 5 times before I called it a day and bought a used Eisenmann

yep exactly that, mine has a supersprint and a BM back box, which is off quite often under the arc !!

it is the front facing panel which goes thro round the two pipes.

88 E30 M3 fast(er than it was, ta Shep and Grant)

and a k8 2008 busa...faster still

(focus RS gone to good home - but never forgotton, eh Shep)
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2010 at 13:07
Originally posted by Hoover Hoover wrote:

Miltek is maybe the best value for money system. Just don't forget to mention the problems they had with the centre box.... I would go for Supersprint centre and BMW back box Or Supersprint centre with Supersprint back box Can you not weld the current back box you have? I remember welding my OEM backbox 5 times before I called it a day and bought a used Eisenmann

yep exactly that, mine has a supersprint and a BM back box, which is off quite often under the arc !!

it is the front facing panel which goes thro round the two pipes.

I think drilling a smal hole at the deepest point will help to let the condensation drain out and prevent rusting.
Or get a Stainless Steel backbox.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic