Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedM3 Multiple Amber Warning Lights HELP PLEASE!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3vert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M3 Multiple Amber Warning Lights HELP PLEASE!
    Posted: 07-December-2009 at 22:27

Hi Folks

The car in question is a 2005 M3 Convertible.

I am looking for some guidance on this one, if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful! I will give you recent history as well in case it has any bearing on the faults!
I changed over my19" wheels to a set of replica 18" (with good rubber tread but cheaper tyres) the other night and whilst I had the wheels off I sprayed under the wheel arches with a degreaser/cleaner and scrubbed each wheel arch clean (very sad I know), since fitting the wheels I had only done about 10miles max with no issues.

Today whilst driving a distance of about 10miles or so, I was travelling up a dual carriageway at about 80mph, on approach to roundabout I started braking at the same point I would normally (plenty of breaking distance to stop safely) when the ABS came on and lasted long enough for me to think I aint going to stop in time for entering roundabout, needless to say got a wee fright but did stop in time. At this point I am thinking it is due to cheaper rubber on 18 wheels. After a further 3miles I got a bleep from dash and got several amber warning lights come up :(

They were Runflat Indicator (I dont have run flats on), DBC Fault, Sequential M Gearbox warning light and Traction Control OFF warning light! When I stopped and turned off the car they all reset and lasted for approx 10miles when they all came on again (this has now happened 3 times today) I have tested the Traction control and can confirm that it is not working! :(
Any help you guys can give would be very much appreciated! I fear I have a very costly bill coming my way :( :(

Please try and cheer me up before I retire for a sleepless night

Thanks folks

Ricky

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2009 at 08:25

You have put wheels on the car that are of a different rolling radii to what the car was programmed to work on.

Everything that you mentioned that faulted (ABS, traction control the gearbox, runflat indicators) takes signals from the wheel sensors. 

Wheel sensors are used to measure the rotational speed of each wheel and they feed this to the ECU to monitor wheel slip, optimum shift point for the gearbox and if you have a flat as the rolling radii changes. With the wrong size of wheels on these sensors now get different signals (as they are rotating at different speeds form when you had your 19" on) from the wheel sensors and it will confuse the ECU to no end.

Put the original wheels back on and sell the 18"s on ebay, they are no use to you on your car unless you put a tyre on the 18" rim that will give you the same rolling radii as the original 19" rims plus the original tyres. 

Disconnect the battery, swap over all four wheels and reconnect the battery and drive gently for a few miles to allow the ECU to get used to the correct signals again.

I can't tell you what size of tyre on a 18" rim will match the rolling radius as the 19" rim with the original tyre.

This sort of thing has happened to automatic E39 drivers, they put new tyres on the rear of a bigger diameter and the transmission goes into limp mode as it thinks the front wheels are going faster than the rear wheels.

I would think you will be fine once you put the original wheels back on.

Let me know how you get on.

Andrew

PS I'm with you on scrubbing the wheel arches with engine degreaser, it works a treat!

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
m3vert View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3vert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2009 at 18:30

Andrew Many thanks for the response, I spoke with local dealer today who have confirmed exactly what you have said. They explained the car is set up to run on 19" wheels and the 18" are a no go! At least this way I dont have a costly repair and I get to sell someone a nice set of refurb M3 replica's which have been painted black. I just need to figure out how much these are likely to be worth now :)

Thanks again for your assistance which was spot on

Ricky

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2009 at 18:57

Glad I could help you.

Just out of interest which dealer did you go to in "Central Scotland"?

I've found some dealers are very helpful on giving out advice, others just say book it in (14+ days time) and we'll have a look at it and obviously charge you for it.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
m3vert View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3vert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2009 at 23:49

I know someone who works in Menzies which helps :) Thanks again and I will update you come Thursday night!
cheers

Ricky

m3vert View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3vert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2009 at 18:41

19"'s are getting re-fitted tmrw whilst its getting an MOT so will update you all later on. Thanks again for everyones help and apologies to Mods for a double post

Ricky

m3vert View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3vert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2009 at 00:01

Ok folks this is the only photo I currently have of the wheels. I apologise in advance as it was a quick snap shot! The car is also looking rather mucky!!! Any info you can give regards price expected for wheels and tyres is much appreciated :)
Cheers

Ricky

m3vert View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3vert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2009 at 19:12

Well folks thats the 19"s fitted back on the M3 and low and behold Andrew was spot on! All warning lights have reset and everything is working fine again

Thanks again Andrew for your assistance

Ricky

steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2009 at 20:47
You should have read your other post, I suggested the same a full 8 1/2 hours before old Rollers 
1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

m3vert View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3vert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2009 at 02:42

Cheers Steven appreciate that, sorry I hadnt noticed :) :)

Thanks for the assistance m8

Ricky

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2009 at 08:42

Originally posted by steven.seed steven.seed wrote:

You should have read your other post, I suggested the same a full 8 1/2 hours before old Rollers 

Less of the old bit, I'm younger than you sir!

Tell you what we'll share the beers that Ricky is going to buy us

There you go, rule #1 on this Forum, don't cross post!  I got a right good ticking off from old Nigel when I first started on here for cross posting.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2009 at 10:27
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Less of the old bit, I'm younger than you sir!

Tell you what we'll share the beers that Ricky is going to buy us

There you go, rule #1 on this Forum, don't cross post!  I got a right good ticking off from old Nigel when I first started on here for cross posting.

LOL. Only teasing . Most people are younger than me Andrew

We're all here to help and I have to admit your posts tend to be more comprehensive than mine.
1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2009 at 14:45
I have to say I've been called a few names in the past (some of which cannot be repeated on this family forum) but Rollers is a new one!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2009 at 15:46
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

I have to say I've been called a few names in the past (some of which cannot be repeated on this family forum) but Rollers is a new one!

Just in recognition of your class

PS.  I'll forego the beer for  a vote for my car  HERE

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic