Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE39 - cracked radiator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandoffline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E39 - cracked radiator
    Posted: 01-November-2009 at 12:51
Looks like a have a crack in my radiator, constant filling of water is all I can do for the moment, but should have a spare car for the week.

It relatively easy to change out, but is there anything else I should be changing out while I have the rad out?

'stat?
pump impeller?

Has anyone else sourced a radiator for there E39 for a good price?

IO
E39 Black, DSG off.

elara.ie - boards.ie
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2009 at 17:43

Easy to replace

Undo cooling hoses.

Unplug wiring looms from sensors on the rad.

Unclip fan shroud from rad but leave in place.

Remove viscous fan using a tool to hold the hub stationary.

The viscous fan can be lifted out with one hand and at the same time lift out the fan shroud with t'other hand.

Radiator is held in by two bolts at the top and lift vertically up and out of the car.

Have a read of this thread when I replaced my stat and water pump on my E39.

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=25689&am p;KW=M52+Water+pump

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2009 at 00:09
Its straight forward enough.You can get one from GSF - I did last year for about €150-200 and it works fine.
Its easy enough to replace as Andrew says. Give me a shout should you need help.

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
irelandoffline View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandoffline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2009 at 13:15
I know Haynes isn't much to go by, but it does look straight forward enough, thanks for the breakdown Andrew

That was a good price Killian, will have to ring them up and see if there still charging that price... Did you change anything else out while swapping the rad?
E39 Black, DSG off.

elara.ie - boards.ie
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2009 at 15:09

I priced a new rad at ~£180 back in 2006.

The Haynes manual is what I read prior to doing my 'stat, stat housing and water pump which is in the link above.  While I was there I also removed the rad from the car and reverse flushed it as it was simple to remove after I had stripped everything else out.

Meant to add if it is an automatic, the M52 engine is easy to do, the M54 will be more complex if fitted with autobox as you then have to mess with transmission cooler with no means of topping up the tranny fluid.

Which engine do you have? 

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
james523 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james523 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2009 at 13:50

Mine has also just cracked where the top hose joint attaches to the radiator. New rad arriving tomorrow.

Is it possible to swap the radiator without taking the fan off? I'm sure I've read somewhere that it was fiddly but doable but can't find the original post.

Cheers,

James

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2009 at 15:34

Hi and welcome to the forum James

You would need to unclip the fan shroud from the rad and then set this back over the fan leaving the rad in-situ.  It would then be easy enough to lift out the rad, it only has two bolts at the top.

I reckon it could be done. 

Removing the fan is easy if you have the tool to hold the waterpump pulley stationary.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
james523 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james523 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2009 at 16:06

Thanks for the reply Andrew. I'm going to go out now and give it a go ready for the part arriving, hopefully, tomorrow.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic