Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhorn always blowing fuses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: horn always blowing fuses
    Posted: 25-October-2009 at 19:11
Hi again-

next problem:  as mentioned,  the 15amp (?) fuse keeps blowing and I can't figure exactly where.  Today I did notice that the right had thumb button on the steering wheel was only working intermittently.  Hmmm...
I've looked at the two horns behind the front grill, checked the wires etc and it all seems ok. I got an inspection coming up this week and they will check the horn.  Besides, here in France that horn is often a matter of life and breath!  What seems to happen is that I change the fuse, it works for awhile but after I shut it down and start it up again,whammo...no horn. 

I looked around the internet for DIY steering wheel removal but didn't find anything for my '93 E34 Touring.  (There's no airbag BTW).

blown fuses wring a bell for anyone?
Booker

2002 E39 5 series Touring

Sponsored Links

ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2009 at 17:35

if the connections are ok at the horns themselves, then it sounds like a problem with the slip ring or connections at that end.

Steering wheel removal is easy, especially with no airbag, there should be two torx screws on the front side of the wheel, undo these & the horn / centre section of the wheel should come away from the rest of the wheel, exposing the slip ring & connections.

E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

bookerfatz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2009 at 13:25
OK- MAYBE BY MAGIC THE HORN WILL BE WORKING TODAY WHEN I GO START THE CAR BUT THANKS FOR THE INFO HERE. I HAVE A PRETTY GOOD HUNCH YOUR ADVICE IS GOING TO COME IN HANDY.  I'LL LET YOU KNOW.S

BOOKER 
Booker

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2009 at 23:18

How technical are you, and what test instrumentation do you have ?

On my two non airbag E34's, with the fourspoke steering wheel, you just removed the center BMW badge (by fiddling with it) to gain access to the locking nut.

Whichever type you have, three or four spoke, remember to mark its position before you remove it, otherwise you'll be messing about to get it straight again !

Best Wishes

Nigel

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2009 at 08:21
I have the 4 spoke wheel.  good idea about marking it though...

I'm really not very technical at all actually.  Mostly just a backyard mechanic that manages to keep things running.  I don't mind the tinkering though.  Still, i'm here at this site for exactly those reasons: not very technical, lack of diagnostic skills etc. 

she's still running though.

booker

Edited by bookerfatz
Booker

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2009 at 08:46
Do you have any way of measuring electrical current, a multimeter perhaps ?
Best Wishes

Nigel

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2009 at 17:43
I could get a multi-meter easily enough.  not sure what to point it at though :/

wait- i'm gonna look online...

ok- plenty of info:<http://www.videojug.com/filmsuggestion/how-do-i-use -a-multimeter-to-test-a-wire-on-my-cars-stabiliser-to-find-o ut-the-actual-voltage> as an example.

Ok- I suppose the point is that with a meter you can touch the wires at connection points to see if there are amps are not.   Right?

Edited by bookerfatz
Booker

jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2009 at 17:50
getting the wheel off is easy, just the two torx behind the wheel and then the big nut in the middle.  When it's off the horn switch will be obvious, so you'll see if the ring and brush thingy are dirty or knackered etc.  Since these move they are prime suspects, but that wouldn;t explain why it seems to go when you start up! 

Hmm...
E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2009 at 21:11

Originally posted by jetsetwilly2000 jetsetwilly2000 wrote:

getting the wheel off is easy,

Yeh, right up until after taking off the nut you bash it a bit and it smacks you in the face!  Be careful!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2009 at 21:43
anybody happen to know what that torx size is behind the steering wheel?  I know I don't have that in yea ole toolkit.

also the size of the large nut?  Maybe don't have one that large either.  Methinks it might be a good idea to stop by the hardware store before taking the wheel off.

This is a new fixit for me...

want to hear a funny story?  we were taking the car for a test drive (new, self installed water pump/thermostat- works perfectly!) last sunday and I was telling her that I had found some online info (here) about taking off the wheel etc. and it didn't seem TOO hard.  She was quite interested as usual ("yes dear...") but anyway, we stopped at a flea market somewhere and just walking around looking and low and behold, right in front of my eyes I espy a frigging 4-spoke, BMW steering wheel, correct size and everything staring right at me. HOw much I ask?  1€!   did i buy it?  duh...  I was thinking that the right thumb horn switch (or apparently what's underneath it?) on my current wheel was bad so anyway, now I got 2!  Dog works in mysteries ways for sure. :)
Booker

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2009 at 21:46
Mr Thepitts- are you serious or...?  the nut comes off, then...what does one do?
Booker

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2009 at 22:01

Originally posted by bookerfatz bookerfatz wrote:

Mr Thepitts- are you serious or...?  the nut comes off, then...what does one do?

Well... in my experience (on E30's & E36's) after removing the centre nut the  thing is still tight on it's spline, so you have to give it a thump or two behind to loosen it - and then it leaps off ....

so watch out - else  ouch!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2009 at 07:48
Really, that's why the things padded.  And you thought it was for the comfort of your hands!
Booker

jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2009 at 10:25
Think the torx is T20, and the nut 19mm, but can't swear to either!  It was 2 yrs ago...
E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2009 at 17:29
well, i passed the car inspection and got the sticker but of course the horn
wasn't working. they give you 2 months or you gotta pay and do it all again.

I did buy the multi meter BTW. not sure what to do with it still. I'm looking
though. There is a short in there somewhere though.
Booker

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2009 at 19:35
back for more... 

so- I got the wheel off and nothing seemed amiss.  I cleaned the grease out, added some new and put the wheel back on.  Still blowing fuses. 

Tomorrow i'm going to use my new multimeter and see if I can't figure out which horn is blowing the circuit. 

not sure what else to do. 

booker
Booker

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic