Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked5 series advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teacher54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 series advice
    Posted: 12-October-2009 at 09:09
Hi - another newbie from sunny Cumbernauld! Currently a 2 car family, one 2.0tdi Jetta and more importantly a 2000 Z3 2.0 which has been my wife's daily runner for 4 years - well looked after by BM Motors. However may be time for Z3 to be replaced by something with more seats and I'm tempted by a 5 series diesel. In terms of price on Autotrader it looks like a 2004 model most of whom have 100,000+ miles - any advice on what to look out for/avoid? Thanks in advance and when you've got a spare moment have a look at my site www.allscottishteachers.co.uk - I reckon you'll get a laugh. Robert
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2009 at 12:41

Hi Robert and welcome to the forum.

Why a diesel? 

Will your wife be getting on for doing 20,000 miles a year?

The benifits of a frugal diesel will only come into play when you start doing over 15,000 miles per year.

You are looking at buying an E60.  By this time BMW had sorted the turbo failure problem so you should have little to worry about in terms of diesel reliability.  My E60 has only let me down once in 25,000 miles and that was a small engine management problem that BMW Fairbairns sorted quickly.  The runflat tyres are pricey so make sure that the ones you look at have plenty of tread on them.  They still suffer the odd electrical gremlin but no where near as bad as the E39 (previous 5 er) had.  Make sure the iDrive has plenty of miles to go before anything needs attention.  The DSC/ABS units can play up and can cost four figures to fix, I had mine replaced under warranty on my first E60.  I am led to believe that there has been some issues with parts of the rear suspension (rubber bushes I think) which can wear out but I haven't found this on mine.

100,000 miles is very high for a 5 year old car.  You want to make sure that you get one that has the most amount of toys/highest possible spec that you can get.  Ideally you want leather seats as a minimum.  I would take it in auto which if you are going for, get the autobox serviced after purchase.

The E60 has isofix kiddie seat points in the rear which will be a benefit if your kids are still in kiddie seats.

I personally wouldn't have a diesel as they are smelly, noisey and dynamically un responsive to drive.  Atleast you aren't being tempted by a 520d!  The only diesel E60 to buy would be the twin turbo 535d but they are still pricey.  Do a search on Youtube for "Top Gear BMW 535d" for a review of it.  My work don't allow access to Youtube so I can't give you a link.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
teacher54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teacher54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2009 at 13:45

Thanks for your advice Andrew. Re the diesel idea, my wife would take the Jetta as her daily runner (at least 50-80 miles a day) and I would take the 5 series or whatever we get. We have covered 51,000 in the Jetta over the last 3 years and are looking at a run to the South of France next summer. Camping trips to Europe will probably be a regular occurrence in the future. Are the petrol models reasonable on fuel at motorway cruising speeds (legal ones that is)?

I think that a lot of the Autotrader cars have been repmobiles hence the mileage.

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2009 at 14:40

At motorway cruising speeds I get 34.4 mpg at 70mph, which for me is more economical than my old 523i was on the M'ways and more econimcal than my old Vauxhall Senator was.  I suppose I'm used to sub 30 mpg average fuel consumption.  If I cruise at ahem, cough, nearer 80 I get 32 mpg.   Diesels will get into the 40s I would have thought but will be noiser.

Is that camping to France pulling a trailer or just a heavily loaded car?

One trip a year shouldn't be justification for the type of car.  You need to be able to live with it three six five including trips to Tesco and the like.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
colb666 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colb666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2009 at 21:11
Gotta agree with Andrew on the petrol v diesel
debate,I've ran a 525i touring for the past 18 months and
its been pretty economical returning an average 34mpg
over a tank of petrol,around town it returns 27-28mpg and
on the motorway its 37-38mpg,any issues have been
electrical with the exception of the panoramic sunroof
which had it not been for Bmw chipping in with the parts
cost a repair of around 2500 quid.The E60/61 is a great
car to drive and very roomy I opted for a petrol version
on the feedback from a couple of my mates who are traffic
policemen and run 530d's and 530i's in work,the diesels
around town are returning low 20's which IMO makes
running a diesel E60/61 totally pointless if it's going
to be doing a lot of town driving.

I've just traded my 5 tourer and did consider replacing
it with a newer version of the same car.

I'd certainly go for a high specced petrol before a
diesel 5'r anytime and from experience I agree with my
mates opinions on the 5's regarding petrol being the
cheaper car to run on a daily basis.
Bigian View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2009 at 20:37
I was considering a diesel a 530 before i got the 535 but the 525d or the 530d would be worth considering.
If you can't be good don't get caught
--------------------------
teacher54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teacher54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2009 at 11:30
thanks for all the advice, given me plenty to think about.
muppet 2 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Z3..Apple of my eye

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppet 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2009 at 15:35
Are you the teacher 54 from Zroadster?
I have been diagnosed with ADHOtS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh that's Shiney

teacher54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teacher54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2009 at 17:55
 guilty as charged. Must admit on a day like today the Z3 looks great with the roof down - it would be brilliant to be able to keep it as well as getting s'thing else.
muppet 2 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Z3..Apple of my eye

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppet 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2009 at 17:58
Got you .. the clue was the same name and you having a Zed.
I did have the top down today on the way home. all 2 miles
of it.
I have been diagnosed with ADHOtS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh that's Shiney

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic