Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat phone kit?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What phone kit?
    Posted: 07-October-2009 at 14:36
Hi,

I bought my new (to me) e46 beemer the other day and i'm very happy with it but it came with a mobile phone car kit installed. I have no idea what phone the car kit is for, I'm guessing it's a BMW kit which is plumbed into the radio? So I guess I'll need to buy a new cradle and associated wires if i want to use my own phone? Does anyone know if there's a list of compatible phones / kits? Or do I need to talk to a BMW dealership?

Cheers

AL
Sponsored Links

m3vert View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3vert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2009 at 16:48

Call the dealer and they will give you a list of the phones they have adapters for. I got one the other week for £51 for my Sony Ericson C702 and it works a treat. If you need any advice on how to pair your phone with your car give me a shout.

Cheers

Ricky

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2009 at 17:23
where is the phone cradle located, is it by the radio?

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Al2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2009 at 21:04

Hi there, The cradle is in a pod as shown in the photo, no idea what kind of phone it's for since there doesn't even seem to be any connector on the cradle? I'm pretty sure the car's not bluetooth enabled since it's quite old.

oliver07 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oliver07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2009 at 10:56
hi my e46 had the same unit in it was connected to the radio and could press  button on the steering wheel to talk or listen to calls.
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2009 at 12:48
Do not think that that is a BMW car kit, looks aftermarket. The BMW kit, IIRC, has the cradle in a holder under the front central arm rest, next to the handbrake ( ....but I could be wrong).

Al2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2009 at 17:43
Can you remember what phone it's for oliver?
Al2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2009 at 20:04
No worries, I sussed it. It was a bury universal car kit. Got a universal bluetooth cradle off e bay for £35 result ;-)
rebel.ranter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel.ranter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2009 at 11:24
Just for any future visits that a search for BMW car kit will bring up I thought I should mention this:

You can get an interface for the Parrot CK3000 kit to work with the buttons on a MFSW wheel for e46/e39. There is also a handy adapter loom that does all the power, speaker & mute function without the need to cut or splice wires.
I currently have the Nokia CK-7W kit fitted but hope to replace at some stage. I have found that the CK-7W gives echo issues fro the person at the other end of the call if I use an iPhone, Motorla or Sony Ericsson handset. It is fine with a Nokia phone though. The Parrot kit works well with all phones.

Here are some details:

Parrot Car Kit

Power/Mute/Speaker Adapter (Two Parrot options, for round & flat connectors depending on your stereo)

MFSW Adapter

I'm sure you could probably pick up some of these items on EBay cheaper. Hopefully someone will find this useful.
1996 320iC:
2002 525iA Sport:
wiggilicious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiggilicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2010 at 23:31

Hi

I just tried to install the Parrot 3100 tomight and i couldn't 2 issues, 1) not enough room behind the stereo and on-board computer for all the block connectors, wires and Parrot box. I want to make it tidy. Any suggestions from anyone who did it? I'm afraid to remove too much dash in case i set off an airbag or whatever.

2) i tried it while it was all out and it works. However, the CD playing isn't. The radio works but no the CD. There are 2 weedy little line - and line + wires that are free but don't belong in any of the connectors. Should these be hooked up somewhere for the CD player? As the standard connectors are working i would have thought all the CD functions are taken care of. I'm stumped!

Ta

Brian

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2010 at 10:22
Brain.

You need to remove more of the car centre console, and/or remove the glove box lid so you can get round to the back of the stereo area.

It will all go in.

You should not have any airbag issues, however, if this is really a concern for you then disconnect the batteries negative terminal and leave it for 20-30 minutes before you do any thing.

To be honest you should be disconnecting the car battery anyway.

Re the CD changer not working, I guess you are using a 'plug & play' wiring loom?

If so then on the original BMW stereo plug there is a small blue (IIRC) rectangular plug within the main connector block this needs to be removed and then inserted into the adapter loom you have purchased as this run the the changer.

A picture of the looms you have may help me explain this a little better, as I do not know what looms you have.

HTH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiggilicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2010 at 11:25

Thanks alot Sporty

That IIRC cable sounds like it could be the culprit, though i did hear the changer changing between discs when i hit the button, so it's definately getting power. I'll swap it out anyway and see what happens. The cable is an SOT-060 by autoleads (or someone, i'll double check later).

As far as the install, i guess i'll just have to dig deeper into the console. If i remove the central air vents, am i breaking into a sealed air tunnel or will the vents just pop back into place?

Also, is it easy to take off the right hand side vertical passenger footwell cover so i can place the parrot box and power supply somewhere?

Thanks again

Brian

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2010 at 12:31

Brian

Firstly, the cable isn't an IIRC cable - IIRC - If I Remember Correctly.

Going back to the fitting of the Parrot, I had a CK3100 installed in our e46 328i a few months ago.  I didn't watch the guy as he did it in our car park at work on a freezing cold day but as far as I know he installed the blue Parrot box behind the glovebox and ran the cables from there to the back of the head unit.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiggilicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2010 at 14:30

IIRC -  woops. That'll give some people a good laugh, no harm given the times!

Ya, i'm gonna get that glove box door off and get in there i'd say.

Cheers for the help, i'll let you know how (un)successful i'll be!

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2010 at 16:44
Brian leave the vents where they are, you are creating more work for yourself.

Either remove the glove box lid, just a series of screws along the top edge and down the sides or remove the stereo, climate control unit and the 'sunglasses holder' above the ashtray that should give you more than enough room. Don't recall how big the parrot control unit is, but you should be able to 'lose' it back there along with the associated wiring looms.

The climate control unit should just pop out once the stereo is out, and the wiring plug is removed by pushing on a lever on the connector which unlock it from the back of the unit, don't just try to pull it.

as said above there is a fair sized void behind the glove box so just as easy to 'lose' it all there.

HTH

ETA.

Autoleads SOT-060 lead does require the Cd changer lug to be removed from the OE BMW plug and inserted into the appropriate location,

one of the two empty rectangular areas (shown on the top plug) depending on which way round the plug is, but you will see which side from the OE plug and the pins on the back on the OE stereo.

Edited by Sporty1

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic