FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE46 Suspension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2004 at 18:18

I'm with The Count on this one.

My point is that if the 'rest' of the ride matched the harshness of the suspension then fair enough - you would accept that it's a sports car suspension. 

The thing is though - it doesn't - IMHO there's far too much roll into corners (if the suspension has to be so damn hard then I want it to corner flat), the steering rack is too slow (2001 spec before the 'quicker' rack) - I often have to turn the wheel far more than I expect to when cornering around town (yes the tyre pressures are OK) and there isn't enough 'feel' from the steering (yes I too once owned an XR3i - I admit it, sorry - but it had more feel through the wheel even with the terrible torque steer that it suffered from).  I too have had race day training (although you soon forget what you're taught....)

Having 'hard' suspension isn't always the 'quickest' set up for a car (tyre not being in contact with surfact for the most amount of time, etc).

As ever in life it's a question of compromises and I reckon that the M-Tech suspension is a better setup for smooth Germanic autobahns or long straight Amercian drags rather than the Dick Turpin-esque tracks that are maintained by yer average local council.  I just happen to think that the 'compromise' made by BMW in this instance is slightly out.  Let's not forget - these cars are meant for 30+ somethings (like meself) with a couple of bob to spend (unlike meself) who are passed the STI or EVO7 stage of life but not quite ready for that 40+ something Jag automatic!  We are the demographic (and we probably mostly all have bad backs that BMW should bear in mind!)

Still get excited every time I sit in it though.....Blush

And to be fair, the faster it goes the better it gets.......Big Smile

Sponsored Links

simnew View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2004 at 02:08

Hi Tony,

Just checking what car you have.  Well the coupe has standard 'sports suspension' but this is not the 'full Mtech' which you only get when you order the sports model of the car as denoted by the different air diffusers, body fit, and steering wheel.

The original coupe I drove back in 1999 on 18's was pretty good I thought and my 323 on MY2000 was a great car with good handling although if you really really pushed it on a dippy road, you would get suspension wallow.  But I would swap it everytime for the MTech setup which is just far too harshly damped at the rear on the rebound.  A quick drive in a 206 shows hows how a car can have a fantastic ride yet still handle. Ok the 206 does roll a bit but it still handles and thats the point. The Mtech Sports version makes the sophisticated E46 suspension feel like cart springs for no real gain in grip and most of the added response which is there from OCt 2001 onwards (ie latest shape) is from the faster rack, tougher standards bushings and the smaller wheel.

Still investigating options, but think I will either have the Hartge suspension fitted or the current standard SE retrofitted.  Its cheaper than changing the car and I really like the rest of the sports package. Although I would prefer the 17's over the 18's which are so easy to damage on kerbs....

TonyH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2004 at 12:28

Hi Simnew,

As you can see from my previous ppost in this thread I have a 2001 325ci.

I didn't know that there was a difference between 'it' and the 'sports' coupe which I believed was merely 'cosmetically' different.  Are you sure about this?  I know that the suspension is MTech sports suspension.

Exactly what is the difference?  Springs, shocks, dampers, rebound rates?

I am no expert though and I bow to your superior knowledge!  God help the sports coupe if the suspension was any harder!!!Big Smile

skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2004 at 22:56
i was told the 2002 e46 coupe 325 is the update , new rack etc.
simnew View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2004 at 23:55

The Oct 2001 saloon and Coupe from the same date had suspension mods along similar lines.  Before this date, the sports suspension was standard on the coupe but optional on the salooon.  But the sports suspension was not too sporty.  It just tightenend up the damping.

There are reviews (Car Magazine) from around this time that describe the ride as pillowy with the sports setup compared to an MG ZT for example.

Now, the coupe still has different damping to the saloon as has 'sports suspension' but it is not the 'M Tech' suspension as fitted to the Sports models (coupe,  saloon and cabrio) .  This uses a similar setup to the M3.  Just to make it more complex, depending on your exact model, ie, 330d, or 318, the suspension will be different again as they make mods to take account of the different weights of the car.  If you have the BMW tow bar fitted you have stiffer suspension at the back !

Still speaking to Birds about the Hartge setup and will get a test drive one of these days and then I will decide what to do.  Maybe the next 3 will have active suspension and that will fix this horrendous compromise they have come up with. Great for the track, crap for British roads. Or buy a suitably optioned SE.  Much the best car all round just because its suspension really really works. Good ride, good handling instead of terrible ride, marginally better handling.

Edited by simnew
zipctr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2004 at 12:23

HMmmm....the missus is probably getting a 320d Sport saloon as her next co. car. Is the suspension on these as hard as, say, my CTR? We've not had time to test drive one yet ( Sytners have only got the Coupe version as a demo). We really like the look of the Sport over the 318 SE she has now, so hoping the ride is almost as compliant although she does mainly motorway miles. Also, she quite fancies the Imola Red paint but I havn't seen any Saloons in this colour ( I know the Sport can have it)- does it look any good?

Cheers.

scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2004 at 20:27

Have you considered the Alpina sport suspension?  Comes in at about a grand fitted by BMW and is sporty and low, but not as harsh as M-Tech.  I had the M-Tech kit fitted to my 328 when I bought it, but have recently changed to Alpina and it is much better. 

simnew View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2004 at 20:24

Scarface

You have answered my prayer !! 

I drove an Alpina and yes, the suspension is so much better than the M-Tech on the standard Sport. More compliant yet handling is still great.  I approached Alpina HQ and they said that it could be done,but my local Sytner dealer in Gerards Cross has been so unhelpful I feel like writing to BMW.  Where did you get yours done?

Would be great if you could email me the details.  Thanks in advance.

330ci-Sport View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2004 at 13:11

This is all about where you drive the car and what car's your used to.

If you drive around the city or on motorways the whole time, then yes the sports suspension is quite harsh. Go for the standard set up.

If you drive on A/B roads a lot, then in my opinion the Sports suspension is not quite stiff enough. If you like to carry a bit of pace (not too much) on the road then you'll regret going for the softer set up. I currently have a big issue with the body roll on my Sports set up and am changing the Sorts springs to Eibach's. The shocks are good but the springs just have a bit too much give in them.

If your used to modified suspension set-ups, then the Sport kit is not even in the same league as good coilover set-ups. The level of grip is phenominal, obviusly at the cost of comfort. However, I think that with some set ups you can change the ride height and rebound rate of the shcoks.

Therefore, if you want some comfort yet a darker side now and then go, for a coilover set up. Ok if you're out of warranty and will cost appx. £850 fitted for a decent set.

simnew View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2004 at 19:50

Thanks for the input.  I would broadly agree with you !

The single biggest problem for me with the Sports setup is not body roll - you can't exactly say it rolls that much - its the fact that its bouncy.  Especially at the rear.  The fron of the car is almost perfect but its the rebound on the rear which is just too agressive I find.

The Alpina has the same lowering as the Sport but just has more initial give without inducing too much roll so all the expansion joints and lateral gashes in the road which start the Sport hopping at the  back just disappear.  ITs a much better setup and I just hope BMW understand British roads a bit better next time.  Most people buy the Sport because it looks better and has better residuals and for the hardcore drivers its not good enough anyway.  So it doesn't serve either community well.  The current SE is still the best all round suspension if you live anywhere in the SE of England  where the roads A,B or anywhere are just the worst anywhere.  I'd love to see F1 around London streets - the cars would take off !

scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2004 at 17:39

I got mine done at Woods in Odiham, Hampshire, bit of a way for you I'd imagine.  To be honest mine took quite a while to get sorted because it is a very rare request, and they had to find out how to order it, they were very helpful though. 

Part No: 91 47 3 100 134      £950 + fitting (about £100 on mine)

A bonus is that Directline told me that it wouldn't effect my premium as it was supplied and fitted by BMW.  Now that doesn't happen often

If only the British roads were like the German ones, maybe then the sport setup would be fine, but our roads are just getting worse. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic