Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE46 Suspension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E46 Suspension
    Posted: 14-December-2003 at 02:02

Hi,

This is my first post seeing as I'm a newbee so hello! 

I am extremely lucky enough to own a 2002 330 ci sport and am now truly a convert to the blue/white propeller. Thoroughly impressed with every aspect of the car apart from the ride quality. The M Tech suspension fitted is, in my opinion (and this is shared by many motoring journo's) just a little bit too hard. I find the low speed control ok but at higher speeds on anything other than perfectly flat tarmac you get jigged around like your sitting in a max power nova, not good on a car costing this much. Does anybody else share this opinion or am I turning into my dad and secondly what can I do to improve the ride quality i.e fitting standard shocks/springs or both and whats it likely to cost?

It will be much aprreciated for any feed back

Mal    

Sponsored Links

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2003 at 08:34
Not too sure about the cost but the standard springs and/or shocks from the saloon should fit and give a smoother ride. Quite a few E36 M3 owners changed their kit to the softer option on the 328. Personal taste.

What size wheels are you running on-larger can cause the same symptoms you are describing, certainly the E46 M3 is reckoned on a smoother and better ride with 18s instead of the 19" option.

John
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
The Count View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 01:53

John,

I've got the 18" MV spoke alloys fitted to the car (what a bugger to keep  clean!!!!!!!!). Would I need to change both? I think I'll enquire about the price of springs/shocks and take it from there. I could be wrong but isn't the standard coupe suspension stiffer than the saloon's?

I'm not adverse to sports suspension cos every car I've had since passing my test has had it in some form or another its just a real pain in the arse (quite literally) that the M Tech has to be so unforgiving. Fine if you're gonna rag the nuts off it at a track but just plain crap on her majesty's highways. Dare I even say it but I think BMW should look at how Ford set up their chassis and take note cos I've got a company mondeo (Zetec) that will blow the socks off my beemer on normal roads in terms of ride quality and feedback, that can't be right can it?  

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 09:08
It sounds as tho something may not be set up right. The coups all have the M-tech suspension which will be harder and firmer than the saloon but shouldnt be that hard, certainly this set up on my old mans car hasnt negatively affected ride comfort.

I'd get the car to a dealer and ask their opinion on it. 18" wheels should be fine unless you are dropping the car. Check to see if all the wheels are unbuckled too.

John

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 09:09
I too found the 330ci a little harsh when I had a shot and again it was on the 18" MV alloys - see if you can't find someone with 17" wheels you can borrow for a bit - if this turns out to smooth out the ride, then at least it will be pretty much free for you to rectify - there'll always be someone out there who will pay / swap you for the 18" MVs.
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 13:25
Also check the tyre pressures (or let us know) - and do you have switchable dampers?
The Count View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 23:42

WHen you say switchable dampers, is that an electronically controlled setting i.e sport, comfort etc. If so then no I haven't unless there fitted standard to 2002 330ci sport coupes, and I've yet to discover the switch!

Must admit, I haven't as yet checked my tyre pressures, should really do that tomorrow.

Is there anyone local who could sit with me on a test drive to see if I've got a genuine problem or if I'm just being a big girls blouse. 

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 08:47
Originally posted by The Count The Count wrote:

Is there anyone local who could sit with me on a test drive to see if I've got a genuine problem or if I'm just being a big girls blouse.

There might well be... where in the country are you?
The Count View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 22:43

oops should of thought of that   

I live in south essex, near southend.

Edited by The Count
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2003 at 08:51
Too far for me I'm afraid, I'm up in Milton Keynes

TonyH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2003 at 16:58

I've got a 2001 325ci fitted with the standard 17' '7 spoke alloys' and I think you will be dissapointed to learn that the ride ain't any better with 'smaller' wheels.  I posed virtually the same question as yourself some weeks back and got pretty much the same replies.  It's definitely not a car designed for 'around town'.  But hey - you'd buy a Civic if that's what you wanted, no?

I too, find the ride too hard and was also a little dissapointed with the turn in being a little slow to respond.  I feel that the car is a little over-sprung and a little under damped.  Unfortunately with a babbie on the way I don't have the finances to do anything about it!

I wouldn't mind if the rest of the handling was set up for 'trackdays' but it's simply not (too much roll, turn-in is too slow and not much feedback).  The M-Tech standard fit suspension is just wrong compared to the rest of the car (in my humble opinion).  Like you say Ford seem to be able to get the balance 'more' right.  You, of course, could try some aftermarket 'adjustable' shocks/springs/dampers to suit.

As for the overall ride at different speeds - wait a while and when you get it out on to a fast quiet country road the handling set up will be explained - just don't expect it to be great around (pot-holed) towns - cos it's not!

Never mind, it's not exactly the worst car in the world to live with.......

The Count View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2003 at 19:25

Tony,

Cheers for the reply, thank god I'm not the only one who thinks the M Tech is not that great. Got to admit, I thought the suspension felt over damped but then I'm no expert when it comes to these things. Might have a word with some after-market suspension makers and will post any replys worth mentioning. Congrats on the baby news and don't panic about getting all the gear in, I've recently become the father of twins (Now 5 months old) and I can still get a double buggy in the boot...................just!

(Thank god I didn't have to sell it)

One last thing, it seems that I'm winging about the car but I can definatley say its is the dogs danglys and I'm a convert

Dear Mr Bangle - Don't bugger up the new one!

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2003 at 19:35
The best bit are kids are the most adaptable people going-I take my 4yr old and 5 month old daughters out in the M and they love it-my eldest complains tht th ride on my company VW now makes her feel sick cos its too bouncy!

hortobagyi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2004 at 20:34

Yep i own a 2002 325ci sports, the suspension is just to

hard, Its feels like my old Ford Xr3 at times, On a car that costs £28.000

I thought it BMW would get it right. Is there any kit i can use to make the car feel like a £28.000 car..

The Count View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2004 at 00:25

Horto

Been investigating various options. On way is to revert to standard coupe suspension which I think is going to cost £566.00 for parts inc vat and £316.00 labour plus vat if you get it done at a bmw dealer

Also spoke to birds uk, interesting conversation, apparantly loads of people have been moaning about this set up and they recommend a hartge suspension upgrade kit for an eye watering £1400.00 fitted...bloody ouch!

Looks like I'll be changing to standard suspension  sometime soon when funds allow its just a bit of a sickner that I feel I've got to do this in the first place!

Has anyone told the germans that brittish roads do not resemble autobahns

Edited by The Count
simnew View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2004 at 00:53

So relieved that other people are finding the Sport suspension fitted to the Sport models so poor.

If the roads are very smooth its fine but the rear damping is far to aggressive for British tarmac with its expansion joints and sharp dips. I nearly always end up apologising to fellow passengers or driving around the road surface trying to stop myself getting thrown about the cabin.

I also investigate the Birds Hartge suspension which uses variable rate gas dampers to achieve a softer initial response followed by hardened damping on compression. This may well fix the problem but I haven't been able to drive one of their cars yet.  Will report if I do.

I would be very interested in getting the standard suspension fitted as this still offers a very good handling ride compromise.  Sure its a little more floaty on the limit, but bumps that really affect you in the Sport and simply dismissed in the SE and the drip in my experience if the same. I have had both MY2000 SE, MY2003 Sport and I reckon the latest SE suspension is very good indeed.  Where did you get the quote for having it retro fitted ?  Any news on this - I would love to know. Thanks

skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2004 at 01:57
just a silly question ,,,, why buy the sport model if you dont like hard sus setup. i have a sport and i find its fine , no i dont drive around like its sunday everyday , quite the oppersit.

and sorry your wrong about the mondeo driven both a lot even the st220 5 and 6 speed models.
i do a lot of country driving on bumpy roads and the beemer out performs a normal mondeo zetec or not .
what make tyre you got on it.

you need to drive a bmw round corners , a mondeo you just steer it , theres a difference.
i suggest some race training would be better not changing the cars sus setup.

i cant believe people buy a car know whats on it and complain ,, test drive one first at a dealer before buying. .
sorry guys i think the car is well setup , its todays crap council/ governments that fuk the roads , we pay enough.
i have used after market setups in the past and yes it transformed my E36 cab but this is faster and more stable on the same roads and higher speeds, the worst is a left bend with a lake oppersit , and just a wooden fence to stop me going in it
soft sus setups unbalance the car more than the bumps do , but so do over hard setups . i think the m setup is good

Edited by skull
just a little crazy.

My drive
E46 M3 COUPE [MAN]CARBON BLACK GREY LEATHER H/K 19"s LED REARS S/B.
simnew View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2004 at 13:47

Hi Skull,

I understand and appreciate what you said but I drive my car pretty hard as well - thats why I bought it, but the ride is pretty awful. Its bouncy and doesn't even attempt to iron out minor ridges or drops in the road surface.  I test drove several before I bought it and although I noticed the difference I didn't get a chance to drive it on more urban roads as BMW dealers don't exactly lend you the car.  You are lucky if you get an hour to drive the car.

The sports pack is more than just the suspension - it gives you a better look, more equipment , better seats, and a much nicer steering wheel. This in itself provides much of the extra alertness (plus the faster rack intro'd in Oct 01).  The suspension is just fine on fast A roads which are smooth and do not have manhole covers.  Drive on one that has deep manholes, drops in the road surface, expansion joints and you will be thrown about the cabin.  Its all so unnecessary.  With variable rate damping, you can iron out a lot of the initial reaction allowing for a hardened response as you near the limit.  That is how the suspension geometry works on the E46 anyway.  Initial neutral to slight understear and then when you press it a bit more  - you get more rear steer and better turn in.  You get this on the old SE, current SE and on the Sport.

Good handling is about more than a hard ride and not having to correct the car (this is part of the fun of a rwd car anyway).  Sure the old SE could get floaty but as a compromise between ride and handling, the new SE is better in my opinion.  I never had to apologise to passengers in the old car - I do in my current one.

skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2004 at 00:17
horses for corses i suppose , i just prefer a more involved drive . had race traning a few years back in a car and on a bike .
i must admit i think at slow speeds is where the sus might be too hard as you dont normally go b road blasting with a car full of passengers.
our counrty is probably the worst place for bad roads , even spain and greece have better roads.
how come the M guys dont complain much about the sus ?
i do know a lot of american guys change theres a lot.
just a little crazy.

My drive
E46 M3 COUPE [MAN]CARBON BLACK GREY LEATHER H/K 19"s LED REARS S/B.
The Count View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2004 at 01:54

Simnew,

Absolutley spot on   you have summed it up perfectly.

Will get some more quotes from BMW Dealers about retro fitting the suspension. The quote I previously mentioned was from Fairfield in Southend but other peolpe have said that their labour rates can be bettered. I will post the cheapest quote when I get it 

Skull,

I appreciate your input on this topic but I guess it would depend on what you want out of a car. But personally, I'm not going to shell out nearly 30 grand on a car that will only be at its best when driving the nuts off it and the rest of the time watching my passengers flinch every time I hit a bump . As regards a ST220, yep your right about them, no way worth the price. My company car is just 1.8 litre which, probably due to the lower engine weight, manages to feel well balanced if a little tardy in the performance stakes ( no bloody torque what so ever! )

Not sure about the race training though, can't see the need to be michael schumacher when the wife and kids are on board and say "stop moaning, this is how you're meant to drive it!" 

You do not have to have rock hard suspension to have a sporty drive. If anything, if you have confidence in your cars ability to not skip and fidget on a bumpy road when your pressing on a bit, you'll probably find that your able to corner that bit harder/faster. There are currently some great handling saloon cars out there yet they still manage to have entertaining handling without comprimising their ride comfort too much, take a look at a picture of an evo 8 cornering hard and you'll be suprised at how much body roll there is.

The problem as I see it is that most BMW's have to be much more than just a sporty car. Because of their excellent design, build quality and prestige status, they also have to be capable of being a refined and luxurious mode of transport which ever model you choose, which is a contrediction in terms I know but other manufactures have managed it far more convincingly

If you just want a car that handles like a go kart you'll buy a impreza or similiar but then thats all they can do. These cars are incapable of being anything else other than road legal racers where as a generally a BMW has do do all the above things very well which it should do when you consider the price you have to pay. 

Edited by The Count
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic