Forum LockedE46 Suspension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TonyH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2003 at 16:58

I've got a 2001 325ci fitted with the standard 17' '7 spoke alloys' and I think you will be dissapointed to learn that the ride ain't any better with 'smaller' wheels.  I posed virtually the same question as yourself some weeks back and got pretty much the same replies.  It's definitely not a car designed for 'around town'.  But hey - you'd buy a Civic if that's what you wanted, no?

I too, find the ride too hard and was also a little dissapointed with the turn in being a little slow to respond.  I feel that the car is a little over-sprung and a little under damped.  Unfortunately with a babbie on the way I don't have the finances to do anything about it!

I wouldn't mind if the rest of the handling was set up for 'trackdays' but it's simply not (too much roll, turn-in is too slow and not much feedback).  The M-Tech standard fit suspension is just wrong compared to the rest of the car (in my humble opinion).  Like you say Ford seem to be able to get the balance 'more' right.  You, of course, could try some aftermarket 'adjustable' shocks/springs/dampers to suit.

As for the overall ride at different speeds - wait a while and when you get it out on to a fast quiet country road the handling set up will be explained - just don't expect it to be great around (pot-holed) towns - cos it's not!

Never mind, it's not exactly the worst car in the world to live with.......

Sponsored Links

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2003 at 08:51
Too far for me I'm afraid, I'm up in Milton Keynes
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
The Count View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 22:43

oops should of thought of that   

I live in south essex, near southend.

Edited by The Count
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 08:47
Originally posted by The Count The Count wrote:

Is there anyone local who could sit with me on a test drive to see if I've got a genuine problem or if I'm just being a big girls blouse.

There might well be... where in the country are you?
The Count View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 23:42

WHen you say switchable dampers, is that an electronically controlled setting i.e sport, comfort etc. If so then no I haven't unless there fitted standard to 2002 330ci sport coupes, and I've yet to discover the switch!

Must admit, I haven't as yet checked my tyre pressures, should really do that tomorrow.

Is there anyone local who could sit with me on a test drive to see if I've got a genuine problem or if I'm just being a big girls blouse. 

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 13:25
Also check the tyre pressures (or let us know) - and do you have switchable dampers?
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 09:09
I too found the 330ci a little harsh when I had a shot and again it was on the 18" MV alloys - see if you can't find someone with 17" wheels you can borrow for a bit - if this turns out to smooth out the ride, then at least it will be pretty much free for you to rectify - there'll always be someone out there who will pay / swap you for the 18" MVs.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 09:08
It sounds as tho something may not be set up right. The coups all have the M-tech suspension which will be harder and firmer than the saloon but shouldnt be that hard, certainly this set up on my old mans car hasnt negatively affected ride comfort.

I'd get the car to a dealer and ask their opinion on it. 18" wheels should be fine unless you are dropping the car. Check to see if all the wheels are unbuckled too.

John

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
The Count View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2003 at 01:53

John,

I've got the 18" MV spoke alloys fitted to the car (what a bugger to keep  clean!!!!!!!!). Would I need to change both? I think I'll enquire about the price of springs/shocks and take it from there. I could be wrong but isn't the standard coupe suspension stiffer than the saloon's?

I'm not adverse to sports suspension cos every car I've had since passing my test has had it in some form or another its just a real pain in the arse (quite literally) that the M Tech has to be so unforgiving. Fine if you're gonna rag the nuts off it at a track but just plain crap on her majesty's highways. Dare I even say it but I think BMW should look at how Ford set up their chassis and take note cos I've got a company mondeo (Zetec) that will blow the socks off my beemer on normal roads in terms of ride quality and feedback, that can't be right can it?  

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2003 at 08:34
Not too sure about the cost but the standard springs and/or shocks from the saloon should fit and give a smoother ride. Quite a few E36 M3 owners changed their kit to the softer option on the 328. Personal taste.

What size wheels are you running on-larger can cause the same symptoms you are describing, certainly the E46 M3 is reckoned on a smoother and better ride with 18s instead of the 19" option.

John

The Count View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2003 at 02:02

Hi,

This is my first post seeing as I'm a newbee so hello! 

I am extremely lucky enough to own a 2002 330 ci sport and am now truly a convert to the blue/white propeller. Thoroughly impressed with every aspect of the car apart from the ride quality. The M Tech suspension fitted is, in my opinion (and this is shared by many motoring journo's) just a little bit too hard. I find the low speed control ok but at higher speeds on anything other than perfectly flat tarmac you get jigged around like your sitting in a max power nova, not good on a car costing this much. Does anybody else share this opinion or am I turning into my dad and secondly what can I do to improve the ride quality i.e fitting standard shocks/springs or both and whats it likely to cost?

It will be much aprreciated for any feed back

Mal    

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic