Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked530i m-tech 2002

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samantha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2009 at 14:01
Originally posted by jetsetwilly2000 jetsetwilly2000 wrote:

ffs!  So you had some coil problem, they replaced all the tappets and now you have a tappet problem plus an oil leak from where they did the work?  Is this another garage for the blacklist? 
you got it in one LOL! BMW on Nass Rd 
BMW 530i M-TECH
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2009 at 15:24

I'm wondering if it was a pinking noise?  A light ticking noise that could be casued by faulty ignition system may sound like a tappety noise.  New coils would go someway to help a pinking problem but wouldn't explain why you are still getting the noise.

Were all 6 coil packs replaced?

There is no way that tappets can be mistaken for a fault with coils.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2009 at 15:59
Yeah it's all a bit weird.  Second opinion is the only way to go I reckon.  Or could we get a .wav of the engine sound on here?  
E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

samantha View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samantha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2009 at 18:52
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

I'm wondering if it was a pinking noise?  A light ticking noise that could be casued by faulty ignition system may sound like a tappety noise.  New coils would go someway to help a pinking problem but wouldn't explain why you are still getting the noise.

Were all 6 coil packs replaced?

There is no way that tappets can be mistaken for a fault with coils.

No they didnt replace all 6 coil packs but that tappety noise was not in it when I first had the car. What happened was I bought the car say today drove it home went to go out in it the next day and the orange engine light came on(looks a little like a tap) and the engine was running rough,like not firing on all cylinders.

So brought it back to the garage (and this went on for just under 3 months) and they plugged it in and it showed up that it was coil pack no 5 then from there I went back collected the car and one by one each time I picked it up it had to go back to get another coil pack done,so after all that the last time I brought it back they decided to reset the ecu and replace the tappets and said that noise was normal oh incidently they checked the oil leak and said that it was a loose nut in the sump,so they tightened it and it didnt leak oil while it was sitting in the forecourt.

I have noticed that while I have not been driving it does not constantly leak oil its just when the car is started or driven,im sure from the pressure the engine is under. So thats the whole palava!!!

Now the lad that came up and plugged it in for me said it sounded like a tappet needs to be replaced at the back??? But again he would have to go through the whole thing to find out,he seemed genuine enough as he did not charge for calling out to plug it in and he cleared the fault with the automatic transmission light that came on.

Anyhow I hope ye all dont think im just farting around on this forum,I am just trying to find out as many possabilities as to what the problem could be so that I am not ripped off where ever I end up bringing it to, to be sorted out.

I know what these garages are like when they think you do not have a clue what your talking about!! 

Im bilixed after all that

BMW 530i M-TECH
02mh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02mh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2009 at 19:25

samantha did you get this from fk is so get on bmw ireland and let them know, and see what they will do for you, tell them that its one of ther garages that has your engine in bits with oil leaks etc etc, and even thought its out of warrenty that this work was carried out before then ,

just my two pence

regards 

greg

ps im only down the road in dunshaughlin if you need a hand with anything 

samantha View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samantha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2009 at 20:12
Originally posted by 02mh 02mh wrote:

samantha did you get this from fk is so get on bmw ireland and let them know, and see what they will do for you, tell them that its one of ther garages that has your engine in bits with oil leaks etc etc, and even thought its out of warrenty that this work was carried out before then ,

just my two pence

regards 

greg

ps im only down the road in dunshaughlin if you need a hand with anything 

Ok, bought the car off Sarsfield Motors,they had bought it from Frank Keans and Keans did the work on it. So how would that work do you think. 
BMW 530i M-TECH
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2009 at 12:46
If you took the car back to Sarsfield and they got FK to do the work, then you need to deal with Sarsfield I guess.  Any work that they do (or pay someone else to do) should be warranteed, but beyond that it should also be 'fit for purpose', which means basically that you should be able to quote Sale of Goods to them and make them take the car back and make it right - even if it is out of warranty.  This tappety noise worries me - either they are just wrong/lying when they say it's normal, or it is normal.  You should be able to find out which by taking it somewhere else and asking them what they think - or by posting a .wav of the noise on here I guess.

Assuming it's not normal, then the work that they did has buggered up your car, in which case they should make it right.

Going to bmw will help if one of their dealers is in the wrong.  Joining the bmw owner's group might help too.

Edited by jetsetwilly2000

E34 535iS

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2009 at 13:31

Originally posted by jetsetwilly2000 jetsetwilly2000 wrote:

This tappety noise worries me - either they are just wrong/lying when they say it's normal, or it is normal.  You should be able to find out which by taking it somewhere else and asking them what they think - or by posting a .wav of the noise on here I guess.

I would agree with you. 

There was no need to mess about with the tappets if the engine mangement light came on.

I would get a second opinion on your car and certainly if you can make a mobile phone recording of your car engine sound and post it on here that would certainly help. I did that and someone on here got what was at fault.

The transmission warning light (your original reason for posting) will have come on as the engine was developing a fault and the transmission will have been upset at the input torque fluctuations from the engine missfiring from the dodgy coils.  I doubt very much that there is anything wrong with your transmission.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
samantha View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samantha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2009 at 20:57

Well cheers all 

Going to get on to the garage I bought it off in the first place and see what kind of reaction we get!!

Il post up any new information!!! 

BMW 530i M-TECH
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2009 at 11:55
Good stuff.  But if it was them that 'diagnosed' the tappet problem in the first place, I'd also take it to somewhere else for a second (third?) opinion.

E34 535iS

samantha View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samantha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2009 at 16:52

UPDATE:

Sarsfields taking the car back Monday!!

So we shall see what happens,hopefully they will get the finger out this time because I am not taking it back till I am happy with it! 

BMW 530i M-TECH
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2009 at 18:34

E34 535iS

samantha View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samantha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2009 at 00:47

Well!

Havn't forgotten about yous, my car is still in the garage, Sarsfield decided to flush out the engine before they brought it back to the BMW garage that originally did the work on it, WHY i don't know, but surprisingly they came back with one of the tappets was f****d in it!!!!     

Like "surprise surprise" 

So anyhow that part was due in last Monday morning and I havn't heard a thing since so il give them a ring tomoro and see what they have to say!

HEART ACHE

BMW 530i M-TECH
Mick525i View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2009 at 18:33
Hi Samantha,

Just saw this thread now.

This sounds fishy to me..... Coil pack failed so lets replace the tappets... Dont think so....I have heard this diagnosis before but its wrong as far as I know. Get a second opinion.

We need AutoFix's input here... Alan where are you??

As for the place you bought the car.... Are you sure of the history????

The M54 can rattle at start up with the wrong grade of oil and an oil treatment can help but as for replacing the tappets that sounds mad....

What ever sarsfield tell you get a second opinion.

AC cars would be a good choice...

Mick
Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2009 at 18:34
O and as for the Gear box.... well Andrew has  said it all

Conway transmissions are the best in Dublin. They are in Walkinstown Dublin 12.

Mick
Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
samantha View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samantha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2009 at 22:46

Originally posted by Mick525i Mick525i wrote:

Hi Samantha,

Just saw this thread now.

This sounds fishy to me..... Coil pack failed so lets replace the tappets... Dont think so....I have heard this diagnosis before but its wrong as far as I know. Get a second opinion.

We need AutoFix's input here... Alan where are you??

As for the place you bought the car.... Are you sure of the history????

The M54 can rattle at start up with the wrong grade of oil and an oil treatment can help but as for replacing the tappets that sounds mad....

What ever sarsfield tell you get a second opinion.

AC cars would be a good choice...

Mick

Hey Mick.

I know what your saying its all sounding a bit mad alright.

I have decided when the car comes back "fixed" not taking it back till they sort it out properly I am going to sell her on....

I loose interest when a car starts to give trouble!!!

I still do not have it back yet its 3 weeks now.I checked the mileage and all that stuff on Cartel and according to their records all is correct.

If they do not sort it out this time round I might just get a Solicitor on to it..

Thanks for the info!  

BMW 530i M-TECH
beemerchris View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2009 at 12:35
Originally posted by samantha samantha wrote:

Well!

Havn't forgotten about yous, my car is still in the garage, Sarsfield decided to flush out the engine before they brought it back to the BMW garage that originally did the work on it, WHY i don't know, but surprisingly they came back with one of the tappets was f****d in it!!!!     

Like "surprise surprise" 

So anyhow that part was due in last Monday morning and I havn't heard a thing since so il give them a ring tomoro and see what they have to say!

HEART ACHE

Well still waiting for you to show up for the diagnostic......

For a start BMW categorigly states NO ADDITIVES shoul be used in the engine. (e.g engine flush). The M54 is an all alloy engine and hates theese things. If BMW finds out any possible goodwill will go out the window. Sencondly this issue coul;d be alot o things from wrong oil to tappets to ignition to knock sensors and so on so it NEEDS A PROPPER DIAGNOSTIC from someone who nows what hes is doing. oil should be fully synthetic 5/30 Castrol

Chris
3rock-Car-Electronics-Services

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2009 at 16:37

I was going to say I didn't think flushing out BMW engines was recommended.

Doing something like this may damage sensitive hydraulic components in the engine like the Vanos units (variable valve timing hydraulic adjustment units) and tappets.

BMW do not even recommend the use of fuel additives like Redex etc. to clear out fuel injectors and the like

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
samantha View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samantha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2009 at 16:36
Originally posted by beemerchris beemerchris wrote:

Originally posted by samantha samantha wrote:

Well!

Like "surprise surprise" 

HEART ACHE

Well still waiting for you to show up for the diagnostic......

For a start BMW categorigly states NO ADDITIVES shoul be used in the engine. (e.g engine flush). The M54 is an all alloy engine and hates theese things. If BMW finds out any possible goodwill will go out the window. Sencondly this issue coul;d be alot o things from wrong oil to tappets to ignition to knock sensors and so on so it NEEDS A PROPPER DIAGNOSTIC from someone who nows what hes is doing. oil should be fully synthetic 5/30 Castrol

Hi

Still havn't got the car back yet, Im seriously begining to think by that shower flushing out the engine in the first place they actually did all the damage themselvs!!

With the  information you have given me it has been thrown at them so it's a case of the car is 110% when I get it back OR I want my money back, failing that I will pass it on to a Solicitor.

I know I could bring it to yourself but why should I have to pay for their mistakes!!!

Thats the only reason they have the car..

Thanks for the info I will post up any new developements 

BMW 530i M-TECH
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2009 at 17:15
Wonder why they flushed it the second time?  Couldn't be to hide something they did wrong could it?  Not sure what, just a bit suss that they'd voluntarily flush it before giving it to bmw.  Anyone got any ideas?

Best of luck anyway Samantha - I think you have plenty of ammunition to get your money back if it comes to that.

E34 535iS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic