Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedInternet issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Internet issues
    Posted: 01-September-2009 at 20:58

I know a few of you guys on here are very much up to speed on this kind of thing so I thought i'd get some feedback if I may?

I have a PS3 (Playstation 3 to those not in the know!) and after 5pm I cannot connect to some online games. I went on a PS3 forum and it seems that games produced by EA have issues connecting with AOL after 5pm???

Now I know my connection works because I can go on the net on my pc and I can connect to other online games (though sometimes still suffer disconnection and freezing) but the EA games won't even load a list of servers at all full stop. Before this time, I can get full access and if I stay connected after 5, all seems fine but if I come off and try to re-connect it fails.

I understand peak internet useage start around 5pm and I can sort of comprehend that the EA servers may require more bandwidth to allow connection which it seems AOL struggle with after 5pm.

Given the above, I have a few questions;

As I'm really fed up with AOL's (in an indian accent) "I have no idea what you are talking about but can I sell you AOL talk phone package" attitude. I'm going to get rid of them anyway but can anyone reccommend an ISP? I am looking at going with Sky as their package gives me cheaper phonecalls and better broadband plus I think their cusomer service is better, any thoughts or bad experiences of sky?

I have had a line test done and Sky tell me my line can only handle 512kps??? WTF!!!!!!    could this be true and if so, why is my line so out of date? I thought the minimum was around 2mbps?  Is there anything I can do to get my line upgraded?

Any thoughts would be appreciated as on the PS3 forum no-one seems to have been given an answer. EA insist it's an AOL problem, AOL deny there is a problem but there are over 30 posts on the topic with seperate people with the AOL/EA problem, so it's not a one off!

I know you guys are pretty intelligent so I thought I'd give you a go!

Cheers

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Sponsored Links

Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2009 at 22:40
Sounds a bit like A O Hell rearing it's ugly head on the ISP front, fortunately I don't have issues with a non commercial British ISP and Xbox 360.
Ditch A O Hell and look for a better ISP (but, not Tiscali as they are sh*te also)
Mike, there are plenty of deals out there, it's finding the time to weed out the good from the crap ISP's)

happy hunting
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2009 at 11:49

Originally posted by 540 V8 540 V8 wrote:

As I'm really fed up with AOL's (in an indian accent) "I have no idea what you are talking about but can I sell you AOL talk phone package" attitude. I'm going to get rid of them anyway but can anyone reccommend an ISP? I am looking at going with Sky as their package gives me cheaper phonecalls and better broadband plus I think their cusomer service is better, any thoughts or bad experiences of sky? I have had a line test done and Sky tell me my line can only handle 512kps??? WTF!!!!!!    could this be true and if so, why is my line so out of date? I thought the minimum was around 2mbps?  Is there anything I can do to get my line upgraded? Mike

Mike, all 'normal' ISP's rely on BT's cables, so the speed you will get depends on your BT line in, number of users, and how far from the exchange you are.

IMHO the only ISP to use is cable. Although the speed you will get still again depends to some extent on the above, due to their infrastructure they offer a minimum speed of 10mbps, and it can be upto 50. (I'm on a 10mb line and have just got 9.85 using this test and this is normal for me.)

Of course you may not have that option in your area, in which case you're stuck with BT, and then it won't really matter who you go with for the actual performance, only for the after-sales service part

p.s. I can sometimes be lucky with my cable support because as well as our indian friends, they also have two UK based centres, but they are like any business - when they are good they are very very good, but when they are bad they are diabolical   

Good Luck!

Edited by thepits
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
jamsieboi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamsieboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2009 at 18:01
I was with Sky for a few years and I was really impressed first ISP I had no problems with, Like you im a bit of a gamer never had any issues with Sky.

Moved house which had cable already installed so thats what I have now which is great but its not in every area

Misty Morning View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Misty Morning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2009 at 19:34
On the subject of download speed, I'm with virgin on the 20mb and got a download speed of 17.51 using Pitsys site. If you can get virgin/cable they are the top rated for getting maximum amount of speed available.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2009 at 20:57
what kind of contention ratio do AOL have?
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2009 at 20:42

Well I have done my own line tests and the max download speed I get is 1mb if I'm really lucky

What do you mean by contention ratio Killian?

Thanks for your replies so far chaps, helpful as usual!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
E28 525e auto-Standard
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2009 at 20:53

I just used Simons test site and got 1.4mb which is rare however, I tried to connect to the EA servers and it worked for 25 mins then kicked me off and I cannot reconnect again!

Now I know why they are called AO HELL!

I think perhaps Sky are my best bet and I know their cusomer service is in the UK and seems fine.

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2009 at 21:45
Originally posted by 540 V8 540 V8 wrote:

What do you mean by contention ratio Killian?

Thuis explains it better than I can
http://www.broadbandwatchdog.co.uk/contention.php
However, the higher the contention, then the slower the speed will become at peak times.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2009 at 21:55

Oh I see!  well from what I can imagine and from the feedback I've seen on the PS3 forum, AOL must have a really high contention because at peak times it's unuseable for gaming and that's what 50% of my internet is for! I'm not paying for something that cannot fulfill it's purpose. They are telling me my contract won't expire until October but surey if they cannot supply me what I am paying for, they are not fulfilling their contract and I can cancel?

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
daddy cool View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddy cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2009 at 09:51

Mike

We are with AOL too , they are a nightmare when it comes to online games with the ps3 . We upgraded to thier 8 meg service and still makes no difference .

Have you tried resetting your router when the online games fail to load ?. Im hooked on cod4 and waw and every time i want to get online with them i have to reset the router.

next time it fails to work try this

get the game on and loading

when the downloading game setting's screen appears or searching for servers screen , switch off the ps3 with the switch on the back

unplug the power lead to your router and leave for 30 seconds then plug it back in

wait a few minutes the turn the ps3 back on and try the game again

this rigmarole allways works works for me so hope its the same for you .

The problem is not limited to AOL , i know several people that are on sky , bt and virgin that have the same probs

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2009 at 21:32

I have heard other people suffer with the problems but AOL seem to be the worst. I'm hooked to Team Fortress and Battlefield Bad Company but neither will connect in the evening also I have FIFA 09 and this is the same (all EA games!) but I can get online with Racedriver Grid and Colin McRae Dirt (both non EA) so it's a strange one. The really annoying thing is, Saturday night we lost our internet connection completely from about 10pm until after we went to bed, when we came down Sunday morning it was fine. The Internet light on the router was red but all other green so it meant the router could connect with wireless devices but was getting no internet signal. My wife said this happened to her on Thurday lunchtime too for about 2 hours. I have reset the router, checked all wiring etc. I'm 99.9% sure the two problems are not linked in any way as the PS3 connection has been like it fior ages but the modem has only recently been failing to get a connection.

Another reason to ditch AOHELL

I can't even stand to ring them. I said "I want to cancel" the woman said in her best English (which was crap!) I'm sorry you are having problems, you are not out of contract until October, can I interest you in AOL talk!??

I said "If you can't provide the internet, what chance do you have of a phone service"

She said, "I can honestly say AOL talk will benefit you sir"

I said "Internet connection would benefit you because I'd be happy with you then"

"Yes sir, I apologise but AOl talk is excellent"

Anyway, I'll not go on but you get the idea!

I am never ringing them again, I'd rather notify them in writing of the cancellation and just stop my payments.

Cheers guys

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic