Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > Adverts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBreaking for Spares - 1985 M635 CSi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3Cecotto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breaking for Spares - 1985 M635 CSi
    Posted: 31-August-2009 at 10:13
Sad to say, that in my view this is beyond economic restoration.

So what is worth having?

Mechanically, it's complete. And showing only 107 000 miles, it should be in decent condition.

I expect to have it running later today, failing which early next week.  I think I've narrowed it down to the OBC relay.  Anyway all mechanical parts are available.

The instrument binnacle is available too. 

No body panels.

The black sports leather manual seats are all OK, the driver's is worn, but undamaged.  As usual, the rears are very good.  Rear headrests too.  Rear lights are goosed and the fronts are spoken for. Front spoiler is OK.  Rear one is the big early one and looks OK.

Everything else, I'll need to check.

1981 E23 735i
1989 E30 325i Motorsport Cabrio
1989 E24 635CSi Motorsport Edition

Bavarian Retro Cars
Sponsored Links

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2009 at 10:53

Wow, thats a shame it;s being broken up. This is my favourite version of the M635, and it looks very straight and un-molested. It's a shame it has been unloved for some years by the looks of it.

Hmm, wish I had the spare cash and time to buy it and fix it up. But there is another M3 I have promised I'd buy which needs some TLC

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2009 at 11:19
Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

Wow, thats a shame it;s being broken up. This is my favourite version of the M635, and it looks very straight and un-molested. It's a shame it has been unloved for some years by the looks of it.

It is a shame, but the body does look rather gone.. No idea how bad it is underneath. Have PM'd Howard as he (IIRC) has one just in case he hasn't seen this thread. Though the last time I saw his you could lick the wheel arches it was that clean.

Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

Hmm, wish I had the spare cash and time to buy it and fix it up. But there is another M3 I have promised I'd buy which needs some TLC

..so I've heard

V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
m3Cecotto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3Cecotto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2009 at 18:12
I can't see that there'll be anything on this of any interest to Howard.

1981 E23 735i

Bavarian Retro Cars
Howard View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Did I say thaaaat?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2009 at 00:44
Originally posted by m3Cecotto m3Cecotto wrote:

I can't see that there'll be anything on this of any interest to Howard.

Not a lot! But thanks for the thought.(and the pm Rhys) The engine could be worth a bob or two as a spare. Both my cars are highline models, so many of the parts are not usable, and looking at the state of the upper parts, odds are that the chassis, fuel and brake lines and running gear are in sore need of changing. All in all, it is best to sell it for spares. Why do people let cars like these go to rot and ruin? More money than sense I suppose.

I'm driving ing my 635 to Regensburg in ten days. Better check the screen wash levels before I go I suppose.
Best wishes to all,

Howard
1963 700 LS
1988 635 CSi
1990 M635 CSi no longer!
2001 E38 728i Individual

http://www.tyneships.co.uk
m3Cecotto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3Cecotto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2009 at 09:31
I have a few people enquiring as to whether it is restoreable - two serious enquiries, I think.

If you are going to restore one, at least you are going into this one knowing what is required. Everything. My experience with various classic car restorations and particularly my own M635 is that once you get started, to do it properly, they ALL need everything done anyway. You could buy a 5000 M635 needing the classic "tlc" and you'd end up doing the same to it - or very nearly - as this one where you can at least see how bad it is.

I *would* prefer to see it kept whole. I know of so many broken for spares Embarassed and lying dead, needing urgent attention before they end up as frag feed that I think my earlier estimate of 250 or so left may be optimistic.

They do need to start to be saved. In ten years time, once it's all finished and the dead ones are killed off or restored and there are pretty much only good ones left, I don't think that there'll be any more than 150 of them - probably nearer 100.

I know it's not a consideration, but I do think the proper "euro" M635 will, in the next classic car upturn, become a very, very valuable car. It has to.

I'd rather see it saved, although it is worth more in bits. I'm keeping all enquiries for bits on hold until I can see if it can be saved. A decision will be made soon.

Thanks for your interest.

Edited by m3Cecotto
1981 E23 735i

Bavarian Retro Cars
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic