Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhich BMW?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which BMW?
    Posted: 20-August-2009 at 09:59

Ok.

Lets say you have £6k to spend.

Car must not be massively expensive to run, but must be reasonably fast. 25mpg+ and a budget of about £1600 a year to cover all running costs except fuel. It must also have a decent sized boot and preferably be a 4 door although a coupe is not out of the question as long as it has decent sized back seats.

My thoughts have been

E46 232/325/328/330

E39 528/530

A couple of more interesting thoughts have been

E36 M3 but i'm guessing running costs could be too high

E39 540 bad MPG but you can pick up a decent one for £4k which would leave change for an LPG conversion. Same for 740 but I expect servicing/parts would get silly.

Also any savings on purchase price can be hung onto to cover unexpected repairs, so it the car costs 4k then 2k in the bank to pay any big bills.

Any thoughts?

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2009 at 12:52
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Ok.

Lets say you have £6k to spend.

E39 540 bad MPG but you can pick up a decent one for £4k which would leave change for an LPG conversion.

Use the extra £2k to put towards fuel?

I personnaly would avoid a LPG conversion purely on the fact that I would need to go well out of my way to find a filling station that actually sells the chuffin' gas in my area.  If LPG is easy to get hold of in your area, go for it.

Does your £1,600 running cost allowance incl road tax and insurance?

After today, I will have completed a years worth of cost recordings for my car inc fuel.  I'll be interested to see what my figures are.  Off the top of my head, I'm adding upwards of £1,600 inc tax and insurance.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2009 at 12:56

Another thought has sprung to mind.

If you are looking to put a kiddie seat in the back of the car, have a think about ISOfix points.  Not sure what BMW models have them fitted but basically it is a locating lug that allows you to attach a kiddie seat directly to the chassis rather than using a seat belt.

The pre facelift E39s didn't have ISOfix in the rear, not sure about post facelift models.

The E46 might have them, her pal who has the E46 based Compact has ISOfix as standard and uses an ISOfix kiddie seat for carting around her sprog.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2009 at 16:51

£1600 is to cover everything. So tax, insurance servicing and tyres.

It's actually £1680. I put aside £140 a month and this pays for everything.

The LPG conversion was just a daft idea. I also wouldn't put money aside to pay for fuel. On refelction a V8 is just going to be too juicy. I also suspect that the servicing is another step up from the 6cylinder cars.

To be honest a good clean E36 low milage 328 would be ideal. I'd be able to buy one for well under £3k, possibly closer to £2k so I'd be able to put any problems right, fit an M50 manifold and enjoy. Insurance isn't going to be too bad, tax is £180, mpg is 26-28 around the doors and 35 on a long run and i'd have a chunk left to do something else with. My only issue is Nikasil.

Oh, not fussed about isofix although it might be useful.

As an aside, I have noticed that Saab 9-3 2.0ts are a very nice price. 6k will get a 2003/4 car with 50k on the clock and might even stretch to an Aero 2.0T. Evo rate them as drivers cars with makes a change for Saab and you get so much more for your money than a BMW. For 6k the best 3 series is going to be a 2000/01 330 or 325.

Much as I love BMW when you look at the prices they are very expensive for what you get, especially if your looking at 3 series.

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2009 at 00:52

OK - by process of elimination....

M52 E46 - engines bulletproof, biggest concern would be the floorpan issue.  At this stage, because of cost of repair vs. value of car, an issue like that would turn a nice car in to a scrapper.  Eliminated.

M54 e46 - floorpan solved but the m54 likes a little drink of oil.  Eliminated.

M54 E39 - fairly bulletproof, except M54 prone to the same thirst as above.  Eliminated.

M52 e39 (dual Vanos, so 1999 or 2000) - by a process of elimination, the winner.  No fundamental engine concerns, body is fairly rust resistant, plenty of space, comfort and reasonable economy.  Best of all, the price point allows you to pay top money for the best car and still have plenty of change from your budget.  Little to choose between 520i, 523i or 528i in terms of economy or servicing, etc. so no reason not to have a 528i.

Been having the same debate myself contemplating a replacement for my e39.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2009 at 10:04

Tell me more about this floorpan issue.

M54 oil consumpsion. Yes my 530 did drink about 500ml every 1000miles although this varied depending on how enthusiasticly I drove. I never found it too much of a problem but I suppose I could end up with a car that is supping 1 litre every 1000miles without fail.

An e39 528 does sound good. The best ones don't go for more than about 4-5k and I should be able to find one with a decent spec. The trouble is i've owned an 530 so it's like treading the same ground as before but just not as good if you know what I mean.

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2009 at 12:52

Peter

The floorpan issue is one that goes back to the e36.  Where the rear subframe connects to the floorpan they can develop a tear in the floorpan.  My understanding is that the turning effect of the wheels/axle creates a stress/force that can rip the weld points on floorpan.  This was (is) a known e36 potential problem and more prevalent on the larger engined cars, presumably because the extra power/torque increases the twist effect.

There are weld points forward and rear of the axle on each side.  When the e46 came out the reinforced the forward weld points on either side.  My assumption is that this increases the stress on the rear points, or more specifically the nearside rear weld point (because of the main direction of turn/torque in the drive because on the e46 the failure point is almost always around the nearside rear subframe mount.  There are a couple of links attached to give you a sense of what its about, including one related to my sisters car.  This isn't an engineering answer so excuse the crudity of the explanation!

BMW have repaired a lot of cars, including my sisters, as goodwill gestures but I don't know if they are still doing it, my experience was a couple of years ago.  The proper repair involves basically striiping the rear end of the car, cutting out the centre of the floorpan and welding in a new section.  If you do a nose about on realoem you'll find that there is a specific part number for the replacement floorpan section (see part 1 on link below).  Between parts and labour there's a couple of grands work in it.  There are patch-it type fixes but not sure how effective.

BMW then updated the e46, in line with the introduction of the m54 engines in 2000 and reinforced the rear mount points too so there have been few issues on those.  When I was checking it out for my sister I did find that there were practically no other Tourings affected that I could find.  In her case it failed at about 6 1/2 years old with less that 60k miles.  The car was never abused and was more a family hold-all than a load lugger.

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=34492&am p;am p;am p;KW=floorpan

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=230988&hig hlight=subframe

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=5153753

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AR52&mospi d=47670&btnr=41_1267&hg=41&fg=25

Re. the m54 engine.  My main concern about it isn't particularly the consumption but more about the long term effect of a car regularly running low on oil because people don't dip their cars too often.  My nikasil 523i still feels and runs like a new engine at 140k+.  Not too sure if a neglected M54 would feel or sound so good at similar miles. 

The 3.0 is a peach of an engine, really loved the power and delivery in my recently departed 330 but having driven my sisters 328i alongside the 330 its not too much of a poor relation unless you are really given it loads all the time.  In fact, her touring is a contender for replacing the 5 because I know the floorpan has been done and the M52 in these is pretty robust (overheating problems see to be the only real killer of them).

BTW. the other thing that I would personally avoid is any of the diesels.  Fab engines but there are too many stories of potential woe (swirl flaps, turbo's, fuel pumps, etc.) to make the extra few mpg worth the risk against potental bills of well in to 4 figures for the cheapest of these.

Edited by Dergside

Prev:
e39 523i SE.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2009 at 14:37

Don't worry, not going near a diesel!

My problem is by the time you discount all the cars that have potential problems, there are practically none left.

I do wonder about BMW when they do seem to have more than their fare share of serious problems like Nikasil, vanos etc

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2009 at 15:44

Don't worry, not going near a diesel!

Glad to hear it Sir!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2009 at 21:44

My problem is by the time you discount all the cars that have potential problems, there are practically none left.

I wouldn't rule any of them out, just take some extra care to check for the big ticket issues and ideally buy a one owner from new car direct from the owner! 

Otherwise, for the safest bet, buy the nicest m52 engined '99 or '00 you can find, bought on condition and history first and mileage second.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2009 at 08:34

Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

and ideally buy a one owner from new car direct from the owner! 

Not easy to find especialy given my desire for a manual and a car that isn't green or silver. Add these things up and you end up with very few cars to choose from.

I mean what is the deal with silver cars! It's god damn shiney grey FFS

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2009 at 10:35

Add these things up and you end up with very few cars to choose from.

Patience.....!

And, be prepared to look nationally (might be easy for me to say when a flight to see a car in Durham rather than Dorset is still just a flight rather than a few hundred mile drive).

Prev:
e39 523i SE.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2009 at 11:28
I don't mind travelling to get the right car, but I do mind spending hundreds of £ on petrol, wasting time and effort to look at blatantly misdescribed cars
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2009 at 13:20

I would have to say that your £1600 running costs is a good allowance.  I've just added up my running costs for the last year and if I hadn't gone to BMW for servicing and I had smaller tyres that weren't chuffin' runflats I would have been around your allowance.

Fuel on the other hand, 15,580 miles at an average of 28.6mpg and depending on the fluctuating price of VPower/unleaded comes out at an average of 17.24 pence per mile for the year.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2009 at 16:11

Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

....and I had smaller tyres that weren't chuffin' runflats ....

Your sig might hold the secret to why these needed changing at such a high cost. 

Did a sum recently of all of the servicing and maintenance invoices I have in the file for my 5 over the past 6+ years and 100k miles.  There may be a couple of small invoices missing but all the big spends are there.  Total cost of maintenance comes to an avg. of €0.07 per mile - approx £0.06.  That includes some, but not all, tyre replacements, normal servicing and non standard maintenance, e.g. pads, disks, shocks, etc.  It doesn't include fuel, road tax, insurance, etc.

Edited by Dergside

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
deeko1973 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeko1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2009 at 17:57

Easy choice for me really... 330.. best compromise of performance and costs...

For £6k you should be able to get a decent choice of saloons... prob 2000/2001 sort of age. May be higher mileage but as long as they've been serviced well you should be ok.

I got mine for just under £4k and got a full parts and labour warranty for it... it has saved me loads so far...

Coupe's will be less widely available at that price but still a few around £5-6k-ish...

My tuppence-worth anyway!

Happy hunting!

E46 2000 330i Saloon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2009 at 19:19

I've been looking at 330s and there are a few in my price range. Also seen some other stuff like 325Ti.

I've managed to persuade my wife to get a Mondeo TDCI so now there less pressure on me to get a big family sized car.

daddy cool View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddy cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2009 at 09:23
Dont rule out the v8's Peter , they arent as juicy as you think  infact i would say from my experience that they are better on fuel than a big six .
e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2009 at 12:32
I do like the idea of a V8 but I still have a nagging feeling about running costs.
daddy cool View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddy cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2009 at 09:33

To give you a rough idea

I use a local independant for servicing on mine 

I had pollen filters , oil filter , air filter , plugs , oil  and inboard handbrake shoes  and the bill was £218

last weekend i reset the mpg for the first time in months , i havent done any motorway journeys , just short trips (less than 3 miles each) and im not driving it like an old woman . Computer is showing 21mpg after 40 miles and still going up .

For the kind of budget you have you could find yourself a late e39 ,  with full history and low miles (manual would be better on juice than auto).

People are often put off by a large engine but because you dont have to rev them hard(usually less than 3k) to get them to go they use less fuel than say for instance a 2litre that's being rev'd round to 4 or 5 grand every gear.

hth

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>