Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSMG or MANUAL ??????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simoneyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SMG or MANUAL ??????
    Posted: 21-July-2009 at 14:39
Hi people, i,m considering my next purchase (at last). It's gotta be my dream car, an E46 M3. My question is, smg box or 6 spd manual? My E46 330 ci m sport has the sport auto box, which I love, but i,ve heard negative things about the smg in the past. Somebody help clear this up for me please.
Sponsored Links

grant w View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grant w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2009 at 11:56
When went to buy my e46 m3 i had the option to test drive a manual or smg , the salesman keep trying to push the manual , but i said no it's the smg i want , so he drove first and made a right pigs ear of it , i jumped in the drivers seat and drove it perfectly , he was amazed , i said it's easy , just treat it as a manual and lift off slightly on up changes and keep it planted on down changes , blips the throttle on down changes .

I've owned the car for nearly 6 years and up till now had no problems with the smg , it's no different from any other bmw if it breaks it's expensive and being a m3 add a couple of noughts to the bill .

I would join the M3cutters forum and read the posts on there , and ask this question i'm sure you'll get plenty of replies .

Edited by grant w

www.redevom3.co.uk
1989 e30 m3 2.5
1996 e36 m3 evo , sold
2002 e46 m3 smg .
1991 Daihatsu 2.8 TD Work Horse
Rust Never Sleeps . Tattooed Lady - Bearded Baby - there my family ..
simoneyes View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simoneyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2009 at 14:43

Come to think of it, it's usually salesmen and people who know someone who has one (but not actually driven one) who give the negative feedback, usually about them being jerky.

Thanks for the help Grant, much appreciated.  

simoneyes View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simoneyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2009 at 15:31
Fantastic, checked out the site you mentioned and wow!!!! Everything I wanted to know was there.....Lots of nice a-roads around here so its the SMG for me I think. Once again, thanks ever so much Grant, you'r a scholar and a gentleman.  
Daz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2009 at 12:58

Old people (Clarkson etc) don't understand the technology, the SMG is fantastic!  And is a no brainer go for it!

The saleman are useless, an enthusiast like you, or anybody on these sites will know way more than those grease bags ever will. 

You will not regreat buying SMG, especially when blasting around a country road, hands on the wheel and no need to take them off to change gear.

Daz

2009 E92 M3 - Milltek
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2009 at 21:24

Originally posted by Daz Daz wrote:

hands on the wheel and no need to take them off to change gear.Daz
just like .......

... an automatic

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Daz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2009 at 21:43

Like I said it's just old people that don't understand/appreciate the technology. 

It is how performance cars have evolved, look at the motorsport roots, F1, WTC and WRC.

2009 E92 M3 - Milltek
SFH3L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFH3L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2009 at 20:12

I agree.  Don't judge it on someone else driving, or indeed your first drive.  I have had SMG II for a few hundred miles now and it takes a while to get the hang of it.

I would liken it to the first push bike you get with derailleur gears - if you are hamfisted it feels awful but once you get it, you're way better off than you were with the old way!

Sam.
the original "not for profit" organisation.

Independent Financial Adviser In Buckingham
My Financial Blog
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic