Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > Adverts
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - FS - 1991 E30 Design Edition Motorsport Convertible
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFS - 1991 E30 Design Edition Motorsport Convertible

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Direct Link To This Post Topic: FS - 1991 E30 Design Edition Motorsport Convertible
    Posted: 21-May-2009 at 10:10

1991 E30 Design Edition Motorsport Convertible

Officially so named by BMW, it's more usually referred to as the "Design cab" or the "Neon Design Cab" (after the two neon colour options, blue and green).  This one is the far rarer Neon Green.  As usual with BMW limited editions, factual number information is difficult to come by, but most references reckon that there were intended to be 200 of each. Whatever the numbers (and I have seen suggestions of as few as 50 in Neon Green), the green in definitely the rarer of the two.   Essentially the car is a late model 318i convertible with a unique paint and interior combination  I believe it is mechanically standard.

To be honest, I bought it sight unseen with a view to breaking it, but on collecting it, while it does need some work, I think, on balance, it's just too good to break and while I don't subscribe to the view that the limited editions are intrinsically worth more than the standard cars, the fact that it is a rare car tips the balance in favour of its restoration.

Bodywork

As you see it. Both rear arches are  poor, but far from unsaveable.

The driver's side wing needs a repair (I have a perfect replacement available)

There are various other wee scratches dents and dings, but the normal rust areas appear to be OK,  the scuttle is good and below the fusebox is fine. The floorpans appear OK too.

Mechanically
It starts runs and drives.  The engine appears very good. It's quiet with no cam clatter and it idles evenly  and pulls very well. I would say that it probably justifies its 100000 mile odometer reading. I haven't driven it for any great distance, but it has no sign of overheating.  The exhaust is good and the brakes appear to work well. It'll need suspension work. The dampers don't and I suspect some bushing might be in order too, but you'll need to do that on most E30s. For the dampers, I'd fit a set of 51mm struts from a 325i and have a very good pair available to go with the car if required.

I am a bit of a traditionalist and I firmly believe that a BMW is not a proper BMW unless the engine has the square root of 36 cylinders and its fuel is ignited by a spark.  However the four cylinder E30s are definitely lighter to drive than the M20s and I have to say, it's quite an enjoyable experience.

Roof

OK. Not perfect, but acceptable and better than one I saw yesterday described by the seller as "new". The top, horizontal part is good and will respond well to a good clean and reproofing.  There is a wear mark on the rear quarter, but I'd say the hood will survive.  The rear screen is a bit cloudy, but I've had good results from the Frost kit to clean them.  It's manual in operation so it works and it all folds away properly.

Interior
Always best described as "an acquired taste", it is, with one exception, in very good condition.

The exception, of course, is the driver's seat, which, as always, needs repair.

I spoke to Eastern yesterday and the parts guy there reckons, unbelievably, that the material is still available.

Its MoT ran out in April.  I have very little history with it. Other than described above, it'll need a lock set as they've all been superglued by some wee scrote somewhere (I'll have a lock set too) and some of the interior plastics could be improved with phone holder marks etc.  I'll have them too. The M-tech 2 steering wheel is good.

Wheels and Tyres

It's on standard 15" BBS cross spokes and it'll come with 4 tyres that are black, circular (plus or minus 5%) hold air and pass an MoT at Dodgy Dave's in Govan

Looking at its best:- in the dark:-

So, all in all a decent basis for a 318i Neon Design cab,
it appears structurally sound and it's unmolested.  What needs done is out there for everyone to see.

There are various options:-

As is, where is:- £800.00 - spend the same again on it and you'll have a really tidy cheap wee cab for the summer.

As is, where is but including (in the boot) offside wing, two 51 mm struts, lock set, interior plastics as required,
centre caps and decent tyres:-£1000.00.

Finally, I'd consider managing its restoration for the purchaser after a detailed examination and estimates for the bodywork, paintwork etc..

I can take photos of any part of the car on request.

I'll consider offers, part exchanges etc., but please bear in mind that I have a family and a serious golf habit to feed and it is worth more to me in bits than the asking price and that I'll break it if I have to.

The car is in the Glasgow area and delivery can be arranged and as I have stuff lying all over the south of England needing collected, I'll do anyone wanting it delivered south of the Wall a good deal, though I won't go south of the Wall after midnight.

PM or e-mail :brc@bavarianretro.co.uk

<edit - contact detail>

Edited by thepits
1981 E23 735i
1989 E30 325i Motorsport Cabrio
1989 E24 635CSi Motorsport Edition

Bavarian Retro Cars
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic