Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE30 ///M3 owners...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2003 at 21:10

Hi all, mines an '87 Evo1 in black, bought last year mainly for taking to the Nurburgring. Supposedly has been chipped though difficult to tell whether it has or not.

2 trips to the 'Ring last year, 29 laps on second trip which finished off the dampers.....just about to be booked into Moseleys for new springs & dampers.

Also about to swap the steering wheel for something slightly smaller though I guess that will make the top of the clocks difficult to see.

Jaseb.....I saw your new car the other day, Nigel was out in it around Telford...mmmm, very nice...congrats.

Oh yeah, I'm in Staffordshire / North Birmingham area.

Sponsored Links

MarkD View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2003 at 13:24
On the subject of track day prep'd cars I'm wondering if anybody is interested in buying a Recaro Pole Position race seat?

I used this seat in my car during 2000-2002 but it is now surplus to requirements as I'm planning to sell my car in the coming months. These are better seats than the more commonly fitted Sparcos and it comes complete with all mounting hardware for the E30 and is in excellent condition bar a couple of light scratches to the shell. If anybody is interested just post a message and I'll get back to you - I'm open to offers as regards price.

Mark
m3geezer View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2003 at 23:47
what sort of price you thinking? i was after 2 recaro spg's but i may be interested in yours as a half way stop. <SCRIPT> window.open=NS_ActualOpen; orig_onload = window.onload; orig_onunload = window.onunload; window.onload = noopen_load; window.onunload = noopen_unload;
Funo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2003 at 15:54

Hello,

I'm Jon, 28 and live in Hertfordshire.  Mine is a 1991 convertible and is standard.  I have had it for 2 years.  Simon, I think you were at Bexleys when I had it serviced in December, picked it up on a Saturday morning, sure it was your car there.

Jon

MarkD View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2003 at 16:25
Simon

To buy a single Pole Position brand new with the specific side brackets would cost around £460 and you've got to add on about another £60 for the slider adapters (provided you don't want to bold the seats to the floor that is?).

I would accept something in the region of £250-300 for the seat, side brackets (you can have the Recaro Pole Position brackets and a set of Sparco ones as well) plus the slider adapters which mount the seat to the standard E30 sliders.

The Pole Position is a slightly wider seat than the SPG and I have found it to be quite comfortable on longer journeys from Surrey to Scotland and back, and it really holds you in place when cornering (even more so with harness belts!)

Basically I'm open to a sensible offer as I am wanting to sell my current car in a few months and start looking for a Sport Evo - so I won't need the seat! I also have one set of Sabelt 4point harness belts (3" wide variety) available if you were interested?

You can e-mail me at: mark.donoghue1@btopenworld.com if you want any more info.

Mark
mark m power View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2003 at 17:36

how many uk supplied cars werw there and what differences in them were there

many thanks mark
Andy OH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2003 at 12:50

I have a 1990 UK Evo Sport 79,000 miles still with a BMW warranty! 

I have owned it for two years after having a 1989 Misano Red Evo 2 for three years before.

My Evo sport has a few modifications:

Full Cage, Leda fully adjustable coil over suspension all round, adj anti roll bars, every bush on the car is now polyeurethene, front and rear strut braces, 3.91:1 rear diff (still have the 3.15:1 diff for trips to the ring), Brembo 4 pot front calipers with 315mm rotors and Pagid Blue pads all round, changing to Pagid Grey (RS15) shortly, complete engine rebuild six months ago including lightened and balanced flywheel and crank, Schrick 284 inlet and exhaust cams and a Motec M48 being fitted in a weeks time, so should see hopefully 260-270 bhp, oh also forgot the quickshift.

I am replacing my Split Second MAF Sensor for the Motec if anyone is interested or knows someone who might be interested in buying the MAF sensor from me.

I also come form Hertfordshire.

Cheers,

Andy.

MarkD View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2003 at 13:01
Andy

That sounds like one hell of a Evo Sport!

I've got a couple of quetions:
What's the acceleration improvement like with the 3.91:1 diff?

I'm considering a 3.46:1 as a half way measure but I've heard that you can "light the tyres up" regularly with the 3.9 and that it's noisy?

Also would you recommend Pagid Blue pads - though I'd be fitting them to the std braking system?

Mark

jaseb View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2003 at 14:24
Out of interest, how much are the RS15's, I have them on my caterham but they were about 120 notes for an axle set. I imagine they'd be pretty mean on an M3, can you get them for standard calipers do you know?
Alan F View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2003 at 22:42

Hi

I'm Alan,32 - Mines a 1988 in Lachs Silver, completely standard.  I bought the car a few weeks ago and so far I've resisted driving it - trying to keep it free from salt.  This is however very frustrating as I've wanted one of these cars for years - Now then, where did I put those keys!! 

By the way I live in Lancashire

Alan

Andy OH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2003 at 08:08

MarkD,

The acceleration difference is quite noticeable as most of my power comes in at about 5500rpm due to the cams in the car.

Are you getting your diff from Moseley? as I had a 3.46:1 fitted with a 25% lock LSD from him last year which leaked leaked like a chocolate teapot and I subsequently swapped with him for a pair of front legs for my Leda suspension; incidentally a 3.46 diff is from an E30 325i automatic and is not listed in the Group N catelogue.  What is listed in the group n catelogue is a 3.25, 3.64, 3.73, 3.91 & 4.1....but to answer your question yes you can light up the rear wheels quite easily and you do get quite a bit of diff whine especially when you have no sound deadening in your car like mine!!  If I was to choose again I would probably go for a 3.64 or maybe a 3.73 as with mine, a 3.91, gives a top speed of only 126 mph. which is ok for most UK tracks and at around 100 mph the rev counter reads 5500rpm.

As for the Pagid Blues you definately see a big difference in braking with a significant reduction in brake fade, but they are not cheap at around £300 for a front and rear set, what would also help is braided brake hoses and a different brake fluid like ATE Super Blue or Castrol SRF.

JaseB,

I'm not sure if RS15's are available in the standard calipers, but I can find out if you want me to.  I have Brembo front calipers and they are available for them.

Cheers,

Andy.

jaseb View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2003 at 08:37

Andy, yes please if it's an easy one to find out!

I had an interesting conversation with Ray West Tuning regarding their intention to bring out a supercharger kit, at £5k it's bigpenniesbut they reckoned 310bhp should be no problem - WANT one!!!

The other thing he said was that their ECU remap should give 260 odd bhp on my Sport Evo and an extra 18 pound feet of torque, all for £325 fitted inc VAT, and yes Iam saving up for that one. Anyone tried this?

MarkD View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2003 at 09:40
Andy

Yes I was condering an exchange of my diff at Moseley's for the 3.46 but now I'm not so sure. I recently priced another used (std ratio) diff for £400 inc. VAT. but the easiest route might be to just have the one I have re-built. Munich Legends quoted a rough figure of £500+VAT, does that sound about right?

As for the brakes - does your 315mm set-up fit within the std 7.5x16 wheels? When I eventually get a Sport Evo one of the biggest mods I want to do is fit a set of 4-pot calipers to the front (preferably AP) but I'd want to keep the std wheels. Also do you still have the std brake master cylinder, or did you have that upgraded?

Cheers

Mark

Andy OH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2003 at 09:42

Jase,

Interesting that Ray West can get 260 bhp from a remap! they must set the rev limiter at 8000 rpm to get that power.....that does seem alot to get out of a standard engine, did they say what else they do or was it simply a remap?

I'll find out about the availability & cost of RS15's and post here withthe answer.

Mark,

My Brembos fit behind the standard 16 x 7.5 rims.  I did want AP's but when I fitted the calipers about 18 months ago they would not fit behind the standard rims without having to use 15mm spacers, which I was reluctant to do.  I spoke with John Warrington last night and he said that Geoff Steel Racing in Lincolnshire now do an AP kit to fit behind the standard rims, they didn't do a kit when I was looking, may be worth giving them a call.

Cheers,

Andy. 

Andy OH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2003 at 10:29

Mark, that 3.46 diff at Moseleys sounds like the one I sent back to him!

About £500-£600 +VAT sounds right for a diff, but if I were you I would keep your original 3.15 and try to get another diff and fit the higher ratios to the new diff, that way you will always have your standard diff should you want to transfer back.  In the long run it is cheaper to have two, in a strange kind of way.   Also there are other firms rather than Munich Legends who can get you a diff, if you see what I am trying to say.

I also have the std brake master cylinder on my car and it seems to be ok.

Andy

m3geezer View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2003 at 19:07

try bexley motor works 0208 304 9797 for diff, they should be able to help.

ref 260bhp through a remap....sounds very optimistic to me and i would certainly challange them to a rolling road print out. i have seen only 225bhp from john w's std evo and i have NEVER seen 260bhp from any road going m3, i've seen 256bhp from a serious modded 2.3 lump, so 260bhp is possible but not through just a remap, i wait to be corrected but i would say the rolling road is telling porkies. i must admit that andy oh must be near 260bhp with the motec unit. <SCRIPT> window.open=NS_ActualOpen; orig_onload = window.onload; orig_onunload = window.onunload; window.onload = noopen_load; window.onunload = noopen_unload;

John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2003 at 00:03
You're right Simon. I reckon I'll get 250 max with the Motec and cams (if I get them).
John W
1990 E30 M3 Sport Evo
1990 E30 M3
http://www.bayareamotorsport.com/john_uk/

jaseb View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2003 at 08:23
Sounds like I'd better save up for the supercharger then...
Andy OH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2003 at 12:38

I'll let everyone know in a couple of weeks time what my car will be producing with the Motec....and by then hopefully I will have sorted out my exhaust which has so far lost me 45 bhp.   After having my cams timing and lift set up properly by Nigel at Bexleys my current exhaust configuration is knocking the cars power.  Last September with the cam timing incorrect I saw 248 bhp so with the correct cam timing and the correct exhaust configuration together with Motec I am hoping to see 260 bhp.......i'll wait and see. 

Andy.

m3geezer View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2003 at 14:09
yeah nigel put a std exhaust on his 256bhp and it strangled it down into the 180bhp region i think, it sounded rough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic