Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Motorsport & Track Days Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - BMW national teams and WTCC travel to Marrakech for first time
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW national teams and WTCC travel to Marrakech for first time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW national teams and WTCC travel to Marrakech for first time
    Posted: 27-April-2009 at 22:34

BMW national teams and WTCC travel to Marrakech for first time. 

Munich, 27th April 2009.

After a break of over four weeks, the FIA World Touring Car Championship (WTCC) returns to action with one of the season’s true highlights: the series will make its debut in Marrakech (MA) this weekend, marking the first time in its history that the WTCC has staged two races on the African continent. However, the “Circuit de Marrakech” is not the only one celebrating its debut. The BMW 320si WTCC has had a facelift prior to races five and six of the season. BMW 3 Series production cars have sported the new design modifications since last year, and it is now time to introduce the car’s even more elegant, sporting profile to the racetrack.

Marrakech also sees the new “compensation weight” come into play for the first time. This is aimed at balancing out the difference in performance between individual models of car. Based on the lap times achieved in Curitiba (BR) and Puebla (MX), the BMW 320si WTCC with the five-speed H-pattern gearbox and the SEAT León TDI have turned out to be the reference models. This means that Andy Priaulx (GB) from BMW Team UK, the two BMW Team Germany drivers, Augusto Farfus (BR) and Jörg Müller (DE), and Sergio Hernández (ES) from BMW Team Italy-Spain must each carry an extra 40 kilograms of ballast. In contrast, Hernández’ team-mate Alessandro Zanardi (IT), who is competing with a six-speed sequential gearbox, will start with 20 kilos less than in Brazil and Mexico.

Andy Priaulx (BMW Team UK):
“Marrakech will be my second street race within a week. Taking part in the London Marathon on Sunday was a great experience, although the last mile felt like the longest of my life. Street circuits are also very challenging in WTCC, but the fact that this one is new and unknown just goes to make it all the more complicated.”

Jörg Müller (BMW Team Germany):
“I’m intrigued by Marrakech. It is nice, even after so many years in motorsport, to race at new circuits. The compensation weight ought to cause changes to positions.”

Augusto Farfus (BMW Team Germany):
“I'm always keen on travelling to new countries and meeting interesting people. Normally I do quite well on street circuits. However, with all its long straights the Marrakech circuit doesn’t have much in common with typical street tracks like Pau. This makes it very interesting.”

Alessandro Zanardi (BMW Team Italy-Spain):
“On Marrakech’s long straights the reduced weight of my car due to the compensation weight system should be an advantage. I hope we will be able to build on the performance we showed in Puebla. Morocco will be an interesting adventure.”

Sergio Hernández (BMW Team Italy-Spain):
“Finally we go racing again. It's great to return to the cockpit at such an interesting place like Marrakech. After our promising performance in Puebla I'm fired up to score some more points in Morocco.”
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic