Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Motorsport & Track Days Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - For BMW the fight for the FIA WTCC title starts in Curitiba
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFor BMW the fight for the FIA WTCC title starts in Curitiba

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For BMW the fight for the FIA WTCC title starts in Curitiba
    Posted: 10-March-2009 at 20:54

For BMW the fight for the FIA WTCC title starts in Curitiba

03-03-2009 Press Release
Munich, 3rd March 2009. This weekend sees the start of the 2009 FIA World Touring Car Championship (WTCC), with the “Autódromo Internacional de Curitiba” hosting the opening two rounds of the series for the third consecutive season. BMW has entered its three national teams and their five drivers with the express aim of recapturing both world championships. To date BMW has scored four drivers’ and three manufacturers’ world titles in the touring car category.

“Naturally I am hopeful we will top the points’ charts in both championships at the end of the season,” says BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen. “However, in motorsport such things cannot be planned. We can only work on our own performance, which we concentrated on throughout the winter. Once again it should be a close fight between us and SEAT, with Chevrolet being another worthy competitor. We are well prepared.”

Triple world champion Andy Priaulx (GB) will once again be competing under the BMW Team UK banner, with Jörg Müller (DE) and Augusto Farfus (BR) representing BMW Team Germany. Alessandro Zanardi (IT) of BMW Team Italy-Spain has a new team-mate in Sergio Hernández (ES).

Andy Priaulx (BMW Team UK):
“Every year I look forward to being in Curitiba. The city has many different sides to it, and could easily be in Europe. The circuit is interesting and challenging, and BMW has traditionally achieved good results there. Everybody hopes for a strong start to a new season, so I will endeavour to have a good opening weekend.”

Jörg Müller (BMW Team Germany):
“Curitiba sees the end of the off-season. The two races are extremely important and the first real opportunity to compare performances. All the teams have tested thoroughly over the winter, and now it will become clear who has made the most progress. I have won in Brazil, so the circuit evidently suits me.”

Augusto Farfus (BMW Team Germany):
“Curitiba is my home town, so naturally I love returning here. As hometown hero there are, though, particular pressures. Overall the feeling is positive, for there are thousands of fans all cheering me on together. I hope to start the 2009 season with the right momentum.”

Alessandro Zanardi (BMW Team Italy-Spain):
“I like the Curitiba circuit. However, I would prefer it to be twice the length. Despite the lap being short, it’s just all about being faster than the opposition – which is precisely what I intend being. Everybody looks forward to this event to see where they stand. We are well prepared, so hopefully I’ll return to Europe a happy man.”

Sergio Hernández (BMW Team Italy-Spain):
“I like the circuit and people of Curitiba. Mentally the Brazilian people are similar to the Spanish. The atmosphere at this event is unique. Over the past two years I have amassed a lot of experience, which I hope to put to good use in my debut for BMW Team Italy-Spain by fighting for points and race wins.”
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic