FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedB10 Gave up the ghost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Shamus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B10 Gave up the ghost
    Posted: 25-March-2009 at 18:11

Congrats mate
 nae beer for you for a while.

Gone but not forgotten..
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2009 at 15:06

Glad you've got it sorted.

Hope to see it in the flesh soon again. 

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2009 at 14:41
You'll be glad the headache is away mate and can get back to driving it the way it should be driven.
jonsmiff View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonsmiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2009 at 14:26

3 grand!!!  makes me so happy to know i can fix these things myself  lovely car btw.

Edited by jonsmiff
muppet 2 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Z3..Apple of my eye

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppet 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2009 at 08:35
Great news, I was back down Keilder way yesterday and was telling my mate about the Big Alpina that followed me down the A7 the last time I was there

Edited by muppet 2
I have been diagnosed with ADHOtS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh that's Shiney

vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2009 at 01:17
Fantstic Crombers, I'm you managed to get everthing sorted and running again
Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5
davy tombstone View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davy tombstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2009 at 23:25
great news....enjoy.
big pimpin View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"It’s F*cked"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pimpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2009 at 20:52
Good to hear the V8 is singing again!
E90 320d - M635 CSi - 635CSi Highline - GMC Typhoon - 4.6 P38
stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2009 at 12:41
Crombers that's good news your back on the road. I did see you on South St on Thursday, you were already passed but I gave you a wave anyway.

I'm glad Keith came up trumps for you and that was nice of him to have a look at your dads motor too.

///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrà mai tedesco di nuovo haha
bluebro View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2009 at 11:30
Great news, good to hear your back on the road and that we have another decent indy we can rely on to fix our cars.

F22 Estoril Blue M235i
Crombers View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crombers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2009 at 11:24

Wahey it's back!  Collected it on Thursday morning and overjoyed to be back on the road.  Oh aye, gave you a toot Stevie as I think I passed you on South Street on the way back

Well, its cost me the best part of 3 big ones ££££, one of which Warranty Direct have offered to cover which I personally believe to be reasonable.  In effect covering the labour and parts of replacing the HG on one bank.

In addition I've had both heads reconditioned, Water pump, thermostat replaced & crank case breather replaced.

Keith at B4BMW has done a great job and I'm very glad I used them.  Even more credit to the guy - My dad took me there on Thursday morning to collect the car but on the M8 on the way in the rear of his E39 528 stepped out wildly with a thunk.  An inspection on the hard shoulder and a gentle crawl into Clydebank had one of Keiths guys getting the car on the ramp and making a temporary repair for no charge.   An absolute gent.  (As it transpired his MOT Failure / Bush replacement was done without tightening the nuts and so failed within days! not B4BMW work I hasten to add).

The car has been returned with engine performance far improved from what it was when I bought it.  It's nice and tight, smooth as a babys bum and sounds sweet as a nut right across the rev range.  When I bought the 66k B10 I was well aware of the top condition of the engine over my previous 155k 540, that said, the bar has been raised now and in conjunction with the fortune spent on suspension work I feel like I'm in a new car.

Should be I suppose given what I've spent on it this year.   No nights out for me for the next, oh, 5 years!  but no more busses either - woot woot!

Edited by Crombers

Alpina B7 E65 Facelift
Alpina B10 V8 Touring (Sold)
Crombers View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crombers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2009 at 22:40

Cheers Stevie!  Didn't expect to get an update at this time of night!

Would be over the moon to see it tomorrow, get me away from blasted buses

I've certainly no complaints about Keith and the guys, extremely helpful on the phone. I just hope their mechanical skills match their communications skills as if they do then we've a tip top independant in our midsts!

Glad to hear the M5 is back on the road.

Alpina B7 E65 Facelift
stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2009 at 20:19
Crombers

I was down at B 4 BMW today to pick my car up and was asking Keith how your car was coming along and he said he was hoping to finish it very soon, maybe tommorrow with any luck.

so hopefully you'll be back on the road and I hope you were happy with the service they've given.

Once again they've come up trumps for me and I'll be using them again and it's the added bonus of having them on my doorstep

///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrà mai tedesco di nuovo haha
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2009 at 08:06

Hi Crombers

You certainly do know your stuff! 

Good to hear you are doing both HGs.  Anything organic in a cylinder head doesn't sound good.  Car stuff should be metal.  Ugg proper man parts!

Let us know about the warranty claim.  Will they cough up for both HGs do you think, or just the one that failed?

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Crombers View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crombers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2009 at 14:55
Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

Originally posted by Crombers Crombers wrote:

The original HG on the Alpina 4.6 V8 (B8 / B10) between 1997 & 2001 is an organic paper affair rather than the usual steel HGs used by BMW.

That's worrying... do you know if the 6-cylinder 3.2 and 3.3's use paper gaskets too?

It's a known V8 issue, think you're home and dry Stephen

Alpina B7 E65 Facelift
stephenperry View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2009 at 13:42
Originally posted by Crombers Crombers wrote:

The original HG on the Alpina 4.6 V8 (B8 / B10) between 1997 & 2001 is an organic paper affair rather than the usual steel HGs used by BMW.

That's worrying... do you know if the 6-cylinder 3.2 and 3.3's use paper gaskets too?

Edited by stephenperry
Crombers View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crombers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2009 at 13:20

Andrew,

The work on the failed bank will be replicated on the second bank.  Extremely false economy not to do so.

The original HG on the Alpina 4.6 V8 (B8 / B10) between 1997 & 2001 is an organic paper affair rather than the usual steel HGs used by BMW.  A ticking time bomb in effect :(   which as you say is not helped by the reduced distance between the cylinders.   This issue was address in 2001 when Alpina started using the steel X5 4.6i gasket in the B10s.

A menace, but not something you should ever need to worry about

The estimate is sitting at £2028, should hopefully hear what the Warranty company have to say this afternoon!

Alpina B7 E65 Facelift
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2009 at 18:44

Hi Crombers

I can't add to that list.  Although if the HG went on one bank could you not argue that t'other bank should have it's HG replaced?  I know that's a big bill. Any idea what made one of them fail? 

Your car is the 4.8 or is it a 4.6?  I did ask at the Feb meet but I've forgotten, sorry.  I suppose your block is essentially the same as mine just bored out a bit more which would make the distance between cylinders smaller, and mibbie more prone to HG failure?

I'm quite interested in finding out a bit more about my engine (N62 I think) but I'm not sure where to start.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Crombers View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crombers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2009 at 17:46

Well thumbs up to B4BMW so for.  I had a call from them on Friday to let me know that the engine had been stripped and that thankfully there appears to be no damage to the block other than a ruddy great hole in my head gasket between cylinders 3 & 4.

The conversation surrounded what should be done while the engine is in bits.  I'm keen to ensure anything that can be done to reduce the effect of 73k miles is carried out and the following work has been tabled:

M5 Head gasket replacement (a given)
Valley pan gasket
intake manifold gaskets
Exhaust gaskets
PCV replacement
Full injector clean (on a proper rig)
Re-seat valves
De-coke internals

The heads will also need to be pressure tested just to be on the safe side.

Does anyone have any further advice on what should or shouldn't be done at this point.  Although I'm fairly clued up about the M62 I'm a little less knowledgeable when it comes to internals.

Cheers

Alpina B7 E65 Facelift
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2009 at 08:24

Originally posted by big pimpin big pimpin wrote:

This thread makes me wince ....the big V8's are great when they're
running good but god help us when they let go (touching wood!)

Aww don't say that SirI'm getting worried for the future....

So the indie is just as stumped as we are and needs to take it apart.  I suppose it's the only way to tell.  Is that just 10 hours for doing one side of the bank or is that a complete engine strip?  It would be interesting to work on a big lump like that but quite daunting when you see bits of your cherished engine which aren't meant to see daylight.

Hope you can still make the RR day.  

Keep us posted

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Rolland

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic