Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockede30 m3 suspension.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: e30 m3 suspension.....
    Posted: 13-February-2009 at 17:36

i am going to change the suspension out on the car and am going down the bilstein and h&R route.

does anyone know what spring pads are on the standard suspension, front and back and should these be kept the same with the above setup?

ta.

E30 M3 1990.
GSXR 750(K1)TRACK WEAPON.
Sponsored Links

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2009 at 08:20
Keep the same.
What springs are you going to use?
H&R race?
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
coates View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2009 at 08:53

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Keep the same.
What springs are you going to use?
H&R race?

Its the H&R sport kit which c3 stock.

the car seems to be on original shocks and springs, so i am looking to replace topmounts and spring pads.

ive done some searching on the forum and there seems to be different opinions...some people say front 3mm and 9mm, others 3mm and 3mm?

for the back ive read 10mm and 7.5 and even a recommendation for a 14.5mm from a 330??

i was looking for info from someone who has actually fitted this setup(as it seems popular)as i dont want to have to dismantle it if its not right!

E30 M3 1990.
Lancastrian View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2009 at 20:11

I had the H&R sport kit + Bilsteins on my Cecotto.

Spring pads were standard front and rear (after much messing about with thicker ones on the front). Top mounts were camber correcting ones.

This is what it looked like on 16 inch rims and 225/45 tyres.

Edited by Lancastrian
E30 M3 Project - Specification TBC
coates View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2009 at 20:38
Originally posted by Lancastrian Lancastrian wrote:

I had the H&R sport kit + Bilsteins on my Cecotto.

Spring pads were standard front and rear (after much messing about with thicker ones on the front). Top mounts were camber correcting ones.

This is what it looked like on 16 inch rims and 225/45 tyres.

good shot! how did you find the kit? any issues with it?

front looks bang on...maybe the back is slightly low for me?... maybe?

Edited by coates
E30 M3 1990.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2009 at 23:27

I really liked it. Looks right, rides well firm but not too much. I also had H&R anti-roll bars. Some say these are too stiff, particularly the front. I never really got much chance to try out different settings.

This suspension kit is now on my current car which I hope will be on the road around Easter time.

Only just remembered - There is probably quite a lot of weight in the rear of the car. we had only just arrived at the ring and had not been to the hotel to off-load. Payload included 200 copies of Autocar I was delivering to a friend.

PS I did not take the photo. It was taken by somebody just passing and later ended up being posted on S14.net. Still do not know the guy but a decent photo, all the same. Shame about lunch on the spoiler.  

Edited by Lancastrian
kevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2009 at 09:47

Peter

When where you at the Nordschlieife?

Did you get any laps in?

The photo looks like it was taken at Brunnchen?

Cheers

Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
coates View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2009 at 17:05

lancastrian..

thanks for the info.

whats going to be ready for easter...track car??

Edited by coates
E30 M3 1990.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2009 at 17:18

Kevin

That photo and the following one were taken July 07. You are spot on. Above photo is in the car park (picnic area  ) at Brunchen the following one is on the track, also at Brunchen.

I managed a dozen or so laps over a few days. Was hoping to finish the weekend off with another three from my 15 lap ticket plus maybe another 5.

Best laid plans etc. It poured down all day and I did not even go out for single lap at a wet weather pace - not sure enough in the dry, let alone the wet.

Looking at these photos makes me realise how much I miss the Cecotto. To some degree I regret selling it, especially with values going the way they are. 

Edited by Lancastrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2009 at 17:52

@ Coates

My current project is definitely a "work in progress". It is really the bringing together of lots of bits from different sources.

The base rolling shell has bee stripped right back to a bare shell. All the rust issues (which were not very many) have been sorted. Then almost everything that has been refitted to the shell has been refurbed or replaced, as required.

Initially, the engine will be a very late standard 215 bhp unit with low miles and a very recent complete timing gear change.

For this year at least it will be a lot less shiney than the Cecotto as it has not been anywhere near a bodyshop. I am trying to make it more track focussed but I do not have enough time to do all I would like to, so will probably end up a bit of a compromise. 

At least I will have more project work to do next winter.   

@kevin

I went to the ring with Alan (autohabit). Just for a laugh you might like to have a look at the photos of his trip.

Alan's trip report

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic