Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow easy is it .....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarCE30M3CONV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How easy is it .....
    Posted: 08-February-2009 at 10:01

........ to change a steering wheel ?

One aspect of the BMW 8 series that many owners of late models almost universally don't like is the bland looking four spoke steering wheel.
It just looks so, well, unsporty and when it is this item that is right in front of you, which you use to steer the car - it's hard to ignore !!

This isn'y my car but the same idea .......

I came across this ........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ;item=220352251889&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

It's a 3 spoke which is new and re-covered with Alcantara. I can get it for Ł270 delivered from Germany - expensive but would make a marked difference .. Comments ????

Anyway - my question - How hard is it to change a steering wheel ? Do I need special tools ? There's mention of Slip ring + the complication of airbags etc. Anyone on here changed one before ?

Gary

Sponsored Links

Tricky1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricky1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2009 at 12:40

i havent changed one with airbag on bm before but have on a merc they both have the same colour of wires in behind the large plastic part  in the middle they are yellow and its very easy to triger the airbag to go off definatley a battery disconnect job

i would also be certain before buying another wheel that the splines that connect to the coloumn are of the same teeth layout or you may need to look at buying a steering boss to atacth it have a look on the momo website they may have an advice line

i have a three spoke brushed alloy gen bm  wheel with leather surround and all the horn wires etc for around 60 pounds off ebay and just poped to my localcheckpoint/halfords and they ordered a boss correct for age and year of car it only cost around 20 pounds and was a very easy fix and is only 300mm compared with 400mm which maeks your hands do less work

if you know what imean

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2009 at 14:12
Piece of cake. The one in the fleabay add is the same as mine.

Disconnect the battery, wait about half an hour (maybe give it a bit longer) so that the airbag discharges.
Couple of screws on the rear of the wheel release the airbag. Disconnect airbag connectors, undo centre bolt, remove wheel.
Pretty straight forward really.

I think I did a 'how to' when doing mine. Will have a look...

Edited by Rhys
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2009 at 14:14
Here it is, saving you the job of doing a search.

It's in the 'How To Do' section of the forum.
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2009 at 14:23
If you want an old wheel (the worn one on my link) to recover yourself then I'm sure I can flog you mine. It's sat here doing nothing but doesn't come with the airbag/horn as I swapped it over to my replacement one.
Just make me an offer if interested though no idea on how much it will cost to recover though and airbags can be bought off fleabay - might save you a few bob.

(won't bother putting it in the sales section as I was going to keep it as a spare)

Edited by Rhys
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
GarCE30M3CONV View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarCE30M3CONV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2009 at 16:05

Rhys - thanks for this - perfect - Still mulling over as Ł270 is still a fair bit as I'm spending a fortune on the car at the mo.

I'll have a look yours and pm you if interested

Gary

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2009 at 16:33
Seen a few wheels on fleabay..

Alpina has triptronic controls which won't work on yours but will look good lol

BMW lot better condition than mine and has airbag etc.

J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
(Former) Scottish Region Wean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2009 at 09:03
Looks JUST like mine,

Stitching looks 1st class btw, good luck with the
purchase and fitting.

My Car

2004 M3 CSL and 2009 E90 M3
davy tombstone View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davy tombstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2009 at 23:24
i changed the wheel on my e46 330 for an alcantara csl, it was pretty straight forward.. no special tools req. i did it without disconecting the battery (not reccomended) but made sure the keys were out of the ignition.
Chas C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Nothing new under the sun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chas C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2009 at 14:20

Originally posted by GarCE30M3CONV GarCE30M3CONV wrote:

One aspect of the BMW 8 series that many owners of late models almost universally don't like is the bland looking four spoke steering wheel.

It's not just an issue on the 8 series.  The E38 7 and pre-facelift E39 5s come with this wheel too.  Heck, even the E34 BiTurbo has it - but not for much longer.

It's one of the most important parts of the car to get right.  After all, it's the only part of the car that is in direct contact with the driver.

Rossi View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2009 at 15:23
Originally posted by Chas C Chas C wrote:

Originally posted by GarCE30M3CONV GarCE30M3CONV wrote:

It's not just an issue on the 8 series.  The E38 7 and pre-facelift E39 5s come with this wheel too.  Heck, even the E34 BiTurbo has it - but not for much longer.

It's one of the most important parts of the car to get right.  After all, it's the only part of the car that is in direct contact with the driver.

yes an aesthetic BMW oversight but seat, pedals, gear stick and floor aren't contacted by the driver then..
how do you drive yours
Chas C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Nothing new under the sun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chas C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2009 at 10:29

Originally posted by Rossi Rossi wrote:

yes an aesthetic BMW oversight but seat, pedals, gear stick and floor aren't contacted by the driver then..

Call me old fashioned but I tend not to drive naked. 

The only skin I have in contact with the car is my hands on the steering wheel.  That's why I used the words "direct contact".

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic