FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFront Fog Lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Ex E30 M3 owner...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2003 at 09:50
(Grumble grumble) neon lights under cars, on bonnets whatever, - no problem, if that's their thing (misguided as it is to think their Corsa is ripe for TOO FAST TOO SPURIOUS ), then fine.

Front fogs, annoying but blame the car magazines. My front fogs go on when A, it's really foggy and you are 20mph because without them you cannot see. and B. single track/country roads at night as they highlight any small animals at the hedges and verges.

Rear fogs - DO PEOPLE NOT REALISE THEY ARE FOR WHEN VISIBILTY IS LOW? if you have a car beind you and you can see it , then TURN YOUR pesky FOG LIGHTS OFF!!!!

Also, I agree with those LED high level brake lights, rainy night, traffic jam, auto car in front = hurt eyes.

As for police doing any sort of traffic duty, forget it, even when they watch cars running red lights near our local Sainsburys. USELESS.

Phil

edited to remove 'objectionable language' - please follow the guidelines

Edited by Webdunk
Sponsored Links

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2003 at 14:12
Front fogs are stupid. The pattern only adds to dazzle for other drivers and they may worsen your vision as the eye compensates for the additional light right in front of the car - weakening its sensititivity in the distance.

I agree with rear fogs. Foglights should not be used in traffic - the principle is that it increases you ability to see or be seen - but neither is an issue in traffic!

The hi level brake lights are a good idea but holding the car on the handbrake stops the dazzle behind!

The under car lighting beats me. The is an Almera I see each morning with 4 of them. What't the point?
STEVE328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Club member, North East Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2003 at 21:39
There is a D reg Nissan Micra round our way with a full set of washer/number plate/tyre valve/neon under car lighting on it.The price of the lights and installation costs must far exceed the value of the car! Plus... I bet the stereo costs about 3 times the cars worth, too!!!

1996 N Montreal blue 328i saloon 45k / 01 Y Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat.
jonp View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2003 at 17:07

Front fog lamps are just the FOG lamps....If its not foggy WHY HAVE THEM ON???? It doesnt look cool, it doesn't make your 'thingy' bigger... its sad! Although saying that I use mine sometimes My fog lights and 'thingy', not at the same time though, that could be dangerous!

Jon

Autos are easy. Its the steering thats hard.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2003 at 20:58

One of my brothers has just bought himself a new merc A class, (no I dont know why either, he hates bm with a vengance).

His front foglights are built into the headlamp !!!

This explains to me why I been dazzled by a few people, flashed them, only to have them flash me back.

Its probably EU regs now, but in the old days fog lights had to be below the headlamp level, and driving lamps had to be at headlamp level.

With them in the headlamps they are all going to be used as driving lamps, or "look at how many bulbs I have " !!

Best Wishes

Nigel

kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2003 at 12:36
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

His front foglights are built into the headlamp !!!

My better half's not yet one year old Golf has Fog lights in the main headlamps so I guess it must be some new regulation. I looked a right p**t went we collected it and queried if it was the right spec because "look no fog lamps".

I always thought that they were lower on the car so they didn't dazzle others as much. Oh well I must be getting old.
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
dbanbery View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
David S Banbery [L/20973]

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2004 at 00:45

okay... i agree with you all....... but i have to admit that a car (esp any beemer) looks wicked with front fogs on, only the brightness outweighs their look. okay if you have sidelights in them and they only glow then cool, but otherwise forget it. personally i dont have fogs in mine and if i did i wouldnt use them becaue they do blind me and do cause accidents when idiots use them to look 'cool'. can you get foglights with built in sidelights for mine? i will have to research that...... that Eu regulation sucks, since despite my age i regard myself as an 80s boy, and i prefer the lower level set up (and if i do have fogs on mine theyre gonna be coloured yellow for the "french look")

i think it may be because then the lights are less dazzling to the other motorists, hence all the lights are on a similar level......... just a theory

dbanbery View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2004 at 00:49
neons suck and so do all the other silly little things you can get for cars...... halfords specials i call them...... neons wouild be okay if they were used tastefully, but theyre not. at all. some matey in a fiesta si decided to play at a set of lights the other day..... lets just say i saw his bonnet neons and odd coloured bulbs in my rear view mirror... ahahaha i love my car
Simon325i sport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2004 at 22:11

Not sure about the fogs above the bumper being a new reg, calibras have their fogs built into the headlamps, as do some old mercs and volvos.

Deathace View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Don’t stick keys in electrical sockets.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2004 at 20:12

I have to admit being guilty at times of driving with my fog lights on when its not foggy. I live in norfolk and there are plenty of bendy roads with no street lighting for miles and as such the front headlights just dont cut it for light amplification where you need it.

Full beam is ok on roads that have distance to be able to see ahead and anticipate the roads ahead but they do nothing for highlighting the sides of the road directly in front of you or take away eye strain from trying to see something with minimal lighting.

As a result of this i use the fog lights to highlight the sides a bit better and these are not as blinding as full beam being on. I don't know if its an unwritten rule or not in my area but there are absolutely loads of people that do this including the police and as such they don't stop people for doing so.

Rear fogs i hardly ever use unless its thick fog as my rear lights are very bright (new rear lenses with white indicators high reflective surface). I do agree that people that keep them on in any condition other than thick fog are absent minded drivers who dont care about other road users behind them. In the rare cases that i use the rear fogs as soon as i can see in front i turn them off which to me is an indication that others can see me.

I love lights and i think that alot of scenarios in the right context are quite good. Undercar neons are ok if they are done tastefully and used for tracks and shows but for general driving about they can be a distraction for other drivers. The same goes for the tyre, washer, exhaust, bonnet, grill, headlamp, indicator coloured accents or neons.

I am in the process of making my own white led angel eyes for the front head and fog lights for display purposes as i really do like the look of them but it is definately because the car doesnt have that leading edge look that im doing it (yes i am affected by some kind of penis inferiority complex) but i like to make my car look as best as it can be for my liking without annoying other road users too much :).

just my 2p /me dons asbestos suit

Russ

1990 535i SE Auto

kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2004 at 20:48
Originally posted by Simon325i sport Simon325i sport wrote:

Not sure about the fogs above the bumper being a new reg, calibras have their fogs built into the headlamps, as do some old mercs and volvos.

I retract my previous comment as I have seem a number of 52 and 03 reg cars with fog lamps in the bumper (where they should be)

Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
dbanbery View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2004 at 15:35
both my mother and an old girlfriends mom have been pulled over for having their fogs on....... my mom was in an astra gte 16v ten years ago and the other was in one of those awful renault meganes.... fair comment deathace
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic