Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > East Anglia Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVery Quiet...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very Quiet...
    Posted: 02-December-2003 at 09:11

The East Anglia Region seems to be the quietest on here ?

Are there any upcoming events or meets, or is it time to arrange something ?

1990 E30 M3
www.m3bmw.co.uk
Sponsored Links

M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 09:46
Hi James,

You are right, I can hear the wind whistling most of the time!

Mind you I have only seen one other M3 around here.

When I joined I hoped there would be informal pub meets etc aswell as highly organised do's.

Maybe just needs a kick off.

I'm on Norfolk Suffolk border with my 88 Evo2

Regards

Kevin
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 12:41

Kevin, Why dont you invite any other members in the area to come along to a  a PubMeet OR----.Have you tele your Rep who is in your Mag.You have a XMAS Party  near Norwich on the 13th Dec.TOO good to Miss that one !

Maybe James will make it???

SAFETYFAST

M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 13:19
Too busy finishing up work before Christmas to go to the Christmas do unfortunately.

So then who lives within 30 miles of Diss? Maybe have a meet at the Old Ram on the A140
jamesrose View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 15:56

Trouble is that is going to be quite a drive from Essex.

The East Anglia region is pretty huge. We will have to find somewhere in the middle of the whole region !

1990 E30 M3
www.m3bmw.co.uk
bmwear View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 19:26
Hi guys
Sorry that we can't organise events every week or month in EAR but we have had a full calendar this year
I have now stepped down as Regional organiser for 2004 and due to work pressures don't have much time to keep looking at the forum or more frequent events one every other month took huge amounts of time. I do still get e-mails of any posts so have noted your comments......
If you wish to organise pub meets and the like this would be great   We are always on the look out for members willing to lend a hand. However perhaps I could ask you to run things by Chris Wadsley who is in charge for the next year so he can fit things in with his own calendar of regional events next year. You can contact him on 01553 810467 I am sure he would be interested in recruting such willing helpers! Also don't forget we need plenty of notice if you want to publish in the magazine as deadline is month prior to publication date soend December is deadline for Feb edition . I am still doing the pages so you can e-mail EAR if you have any contributions about your cars etc.
We used to all meet for monthly committee meetings at the Cornwallis and also the Highwayman is nice on the A14/A140 junction. But as you are finding out E.A.R. is a BIG region and finding a centrepoint between Cromer, King's Lynn Cambridge and all of Essex for Regular meets is a problem. The Norfolk Suffolk Border is about 1hr or so from most members hence we tended to use Diss ! Ipswich or Bury are also possibilities but parking is a hassle in town. yes its a long way from Essex but so is Essex from Cambridge or North Norfolk !
If you do organise something let me have the details by e-mail and I will mail out to the e-list I have of regional members and try and come along
Mike Milbourne
PS I have an M3 in Diss which is probably the one you have seen Kevin ?
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2003 at 11:46
Hello Mike, good to hear from you.

The M3 I saw was a shiny red one with Sport Evo spoilers one Saturday on A14 near Ipswich, I don't think it was a Sport Evo.

Sometimes you just want an informal meet at a pub and when you start running it through committes etc it can get unwieldy and take too much organising to know numbers.

It's far easier to post a message on here, see who is around and where they are then say OK I'll be at so and so pub on Sunday lunchtime if you fancy coming and see who turns up. No big deal if only a couple come.
I run up and down to Chelmsford way at least once a week which is only an hour. Some people want everything on their doorstep.
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2003 at 12:12
OK chaps where are you all

If you fancy a meet post your location and we'll find somewhere centralish.

I'm Suffolk side of Diss
jamesrose View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2003 at 13:25

Apologies if that comment about the doorstep was aimed at me ! I was not implying that I am not willing to travel, because after all that it was I bought the car for - to drive !

Mike, thanks for the reply, again apologies if I made it sound like there was a lack of organised events. Unfortunately I have not had my car for long, and therefore didn't attend any of the events in 2003, I am just keen to make up for lost time !

I am in Brentwood in Essex, and eager to meet the rest of the people from the region ! Does anyone have any idea of the number of members there are in this region ?

Hope to see you all soon

Cheers

James

1990 E30 M3
www.m3bmw.co.uk
bmwear View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2003 at 15:27
James
There are nearly 300 members in EAR at the last count I had.
i should explain perhaps that prior to Mid 2003 i used to send out quarterly event fliers to all EAR members complete with booking forms etc
However National vetoed this and despite having the regional funds to do it we now have to do everything through Straight six and the Mag. Personally I think it sucks and this is one reason why I resigned and why members do not get to know about events. (its a rather longer story actually) We had real autonomy in the region with our own funds to spend as we liked and we were completely self supporting. However this was deemed not to be in 'the spirit of the Club" and we now have to requisition National to spend over £50!. In addition the money which was generated by 'the few' was deemed to belong to 'everyone" and cannot be spent on those who generated it....... ie our fund suddenly was made unavailable to us!
I have been a member of the BMW Ccar Club for over 25 years and run the region with help from others, who shared the duties equally, since its inception in 1984. To say that i was a liitle peeved would be an understatement .

It is however very encouraging to see some new interest as normally we are supported by the dozen or so stalwarts who turn up for the various lunches. Chris has some great events planned for 2004 and i hope to get some of our members to organise a lunch once a month (or two) at a local pub throughout the region. We have (supporting) members in Cromer Brentwood Huntingdon, Near Stanstead, Hemel Hempstead , London Wisbech King's Lynn and of course DISS! If you would like to pick a Sunday and suggest a suitable watering hole we can park at and have lunch, a chinwag and perhaps a short drive to something interesting then this would be great and I can e-mail all the people who would actually turn up !
One of the problems of "impromptue" pub meets is that you may drive 60 miles to a meeting to find yourself on your own. Previously we have felt booking and getting people to pay was the best way otherwise we not only end up with no one but look complete pratts if we "book" meals at a pub and no one turns up.
It is obvious you and Kevin are keen, so pick a spot that suits you and we can advertise it from there. We should be able to get 10-20 people from the "stalwarts" mailing list
Unfortunately the National office is as yet unable to supply us with a 'regional e-mail list' quoting data protection etc etc...
I have to confess i haven't used the forums much so if there are lots of you out there that want to get together in EAR then let me have your e-mail address by mailing me at bmwcarclub@east-anglia-region.co.uk and I will add you to the e-mail list I have. It is then a simple job of e-mailing you a short event flier.
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2003 at 18:34

YOU see MIKE !!!!, OLD habits die hard.Everyone,s missed you.ALL the regions are big, and trying to get members from one side to the other is not practical, on a regular basis.BUT-----why dont members use the forum to call a meet at-- once a month or.Far better to have a small number of enthusiasts getting to-gether, than silence.The area, s you mentioned, could be the Key centre,s to get the local meets started.

SAFETYFAST

Darren View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2003 at 18:46

I would be interested in meets. I`ll send you my email address if you could kindly add me.

Darren

Cambridgeshire

Edited by Darren
bmwear View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2003 at 19:54
If you all can't agree on a central venue then why don't you pick local ones and i will e-mail them to everyone on my list I now have over 70 addresses but i am sure that there are more than 70 East Anglia members who are on e-mail so lets have those addresses please so I can keep you informed.

Members are welcolm in Diss anytime...... and I gladly show off my new polish! (www.thepolishingcompany.com)
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2003 at 20:44

I wonder if you are thinkng of doing another french run like the one to chateau tilques you did before.

That was very good, I travelled from the central region to go on that one.

Best Wishes

Nigel

M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2003 at 10:12
Mike,

Sorry to hear about the grumbles with the club, but I am not surprised. When people get elected to a board or other position be it local councillor or chairwoman of WI etc, they can go power mad and want to control everything!

The organisations then become unwieldy and run not for the benefit of the members but for their ego's. Believe me in my business life I have met too many people like this.

Still with this wonderful invention called email and the forum we can overcome these problems and sort ourselves out.

As you say Mike, maybe sort into little regional centres depending on numbers. My email if you don't already have it is on it's way.

Look forward to swapping stories and advice etc soon over a pint.

Regards

Kevin McNally
paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2003 at 13:14

Whoa something was posted in this section!! Thats the first time in months.  This does seem to be a quiet section but sure its not to the fault of anybody.

If any E30 guys are about and fancy a meet there is one this saturday in thurrock again after good one we had at the start of november. 

http://com2.runboard.com/be30zoneforum.fmeets.t58

Nothing to do with the BMWCC i must add, so i hope nobody minds it being posted here

Visit My BMW
Got an E30? Visit The E30 Zone
Chidge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2003 at 13:40

Kevin,

Is your M3 silver with yellow headlights. I have a M3 Roberto Ravaglia with Evo sport spoilers and several weeks ago i followed a silver on out of Asda at Ipswich.

I Live in Stowmarket so i'm pretty local to you.Give us a shout and we'll meet up.

M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2003 at 17:38
Chidge,

Guilty as charged! That was my Evo2

It was your car I mentioned as being the only other one I've seen around here.

Your car looked very clean, obviously a well loved second or third car.

Mine no longer has the yellow lights ,they were not very bright, they were French!

I'd love to meet up for a chin wag, send me a pm and we'll organise something, pub, house whatever

Regards

Kevin
Howard View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Did I say thaaaat?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2003 at 07:01
Hi there Kevin McNally,
     I'm one of the power mad guys who have to make the hard decisions. Just finishing the web work for today. Usually spend around 40 hours a week working for the club. And subsidise it to the tune of around £600 a year by paying my own expenses when I have to do a round trip of 240 miles six times a year to help make these decisions. Plus lots of trips to head office to sort out staff and computers. Not counting days spent setting up at car shows, thirty weekends a year suporting regional events from Ireland to Scotland and to Southampton. Many weekends in Europe representing the club at BCE Meets.

Its easy to read a posting which only gives part of the story, and come out with comments like 'power mad and want to control everything'.

There is one answer that I always give to club members (I assume that you are one) who criticise the volunteers who are running the club. Its this:

If you can do any better then do it yourself.

I just added a rude comment, but decided that if I did I would be descending to your level, so I crossed it out.

Glad you like the forum. I was the one who came up with the idea!

Have a great day.
1963 700 LS
1988 635 CSi
1990 M635 CSi no longer!
2001 E38 728i Individual

http://www.tyneships.co.uk
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2003 at 11:18
Very nice of you to say so Howard,

If you want to get anything else off your chest then why don't you PM me.

Oh and by the way, I was not criticising the organised meets, my family thoroughly enjoyed Gaydon.

It has been commented on having to go through a centralised committee with no local autonomy.

I was disappointed that no informal pub meets were arranged so I am arranging one myself.

Oh and well done on it being your idea for the forum, why didn't you patent it because you could have made a mint from scoobynet, S14.de and numberous other worldwide forums for using your idea.

If it is such a chore for you Howard then why don't you resign and stop moaning. No you do it because you enjoy it, as would anyone who runs a local/ county football league.

I think it is sad that when a member who has paid his subscriptions cannot make a genuine comment on what he feels his club could be doing without getting a defensive rant from a committee member. All organisations should be willing to take on board honest criticism from it's members.

Happy Christmas Mr Pachyderm.

Any others prepared to make a comment?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic