Forum LockedHelp with Clonking 86 e30 318i

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
David S Banbery [L/20973]

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with Clonking 86 e30 318i
    Posted: 01-December-2003 at 11:47
i have recently noticed a clonking noise coming from the tail end of my car when i move off in reverse, and when i move of in 1str after being in reverse. also, when im engine braking i get the same noise from the back end. could this be the prop shaft cush drive? is this easy for a home mechanic to replace? will my car fall apart completely if not done soon? do i even know what im talking about..?
Sponsored Links

rezaq View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2003 at 12:41
Clonking sound is quite common - my 320 manual does it when you engage the driveline or tip-in quite harsh on the throttle. I can only put mine down to differential 'lash' because its done 145000 and I have changed the diff mount, rear axle carrier bushes and prop coupling/centre bearing. Yours could be either of the above.

Ignore any of the prop bits since any problem here usually results in a vibration at a constant velocity.

There are also rear subframe bushes which arent usually changed. These are a pig to get to (a lot of labour) and have to be pressed in - the part itself is very inexpensive though......never heard of anybody ever changing them.

Hope this helps!!

P.s - Since it is when your moving the gears, could be your gearbox mountings? Again, very inexpensive and not difficult to do.
dbanbery View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
David S Banbery [L/20973]

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2003 at 16:09

it comes from the rear of the car, when i boot it and after i let the clutch out when slowing down from speed... its when drive goes through the shaft...... i was thinking of getting a LSD from a 323 at a scrappy.... would this help at all? it would give me a chance to do the diff mountings... mines done 98k but it had the clocks changed to mph in 89 so its more like 120k.... i dunno... the engine is in tip top condition anyway..... i did the rear shock mounting bushes my self, and a front lower leg.. i also put on a complete new shock on front.... are these as difficult? bear in mind this is my first car and i am 19... even so, i'd describe myself as reasonably adept with the right tools

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic