Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTech1 325i Sport Restoration...Engine complete

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2008 at 13:48
Hi guys, just a couple more pics, and some better ones from before, borrowed my gran's camera...

A Better look at the inside, pretty clean in here, just starting to remove the wiring loom...

spot the rust hole behind the sound proofing...

Wipers off for Gary!!

removed the door locks and handles eventually after I figured out how...

passenger door loom and lock out too...

some better pics from before of the rust lol.

sills aren't too bad...

extra air vent anyone...

the petrol flap looks alright too..

everything all on bags and labeled up too...

engine loom out in prep for engine removal, as I now have my new engine stand so it may take it out tonight!!

Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5
Sponsored Links

Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2008 at 14:00

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what have you done!!!!!!!

good job Paul you are a brave man! Hope you know how to put it all back together!!

Looking forward to see it all come back together!

big pimpin View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"It’s F*cked"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pimpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2008 at 19:37
Good progress Paul, your getting on a lot faster than I am with project
reasonable! Mind you, shoved it into the garage last weekend so I can work
on it in the evenings.
E90 320d - M635 CSi - 635CSi Highline - GMC Typhoon - 4.6 P38
davy tombstone View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davy tombstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2008 at 20:27
keep it up paul,
you,re doin well.
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2008 at 02:09
Well a good days work was done today, made some good progress and edging that step closer to getting the shell away to the body shop!  

But anyway onto today.....

First off was the engine and box to be removed...

nice...

Box split from engine...

The clutch looks buggered but it worked a treat but it probably wasn't long till it was gonna go...

Genuine BMW too, maybe the original...

Now was time to put the engine on my new engine stand!   but the gearbox bolts weren't long enough to fit so it was a trip to B&Q and picked up the 4 bolts for a fiver  so it was lined up and bolted on, but i was very unsure if it would hold the weight ok, but it was fine, it's rated to 450kg but you still get second thoughts when lowering the engine!lol.

Still it doesn't half flex...

The bolts are bent!!

Any way with that done it was over to the ramp   to start removing bits from underneath...

I love this ramp...

A quick few shots of the underside...

but as usual there's a lot of rusted solid bolts so a good spray up with a bit of WD and left for a while, I got the exhaust heat shields, fuel filler and a few other pieces off tho..

Next up was to tackle the wiring loom...   I had to cut through a small section that lead under the pipe for the fuel lines under the rear seat area though as it seems to be wired in with no plugs to remove it but it was only 4 different coloured wires so it's no big loss easy solved when the time comes to re-fit. not sure if anyone else had to do this?? :?

Anyway starting to come out...

and its out 

now I could see the area of the bulkhead that was making the foot spa in the passenger side... 

And the result of the days work...

So overall a good day but still loads to do but I'm over half way!!

Edited by vpricey
gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2008 at 10:35
Respect mate. That is certainly hardcore. Excellent thread.
stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2008 at 11:20
total respect, I'd never have the patience or come to think of it the ability to do this so I'll leave that sort of thing to young bloods

///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrà mai tedesco di nuovo haha
coupe king View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coupe king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2008 at 09:56

Oh my god!!! Just wondering why you are taking the loom out too? I really hope it all goes back together again!!! Cant wait to se it when its finished!!! Great job mate, keep it up!!!

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coupe king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2008 at 10:05

Not that you look like you need it, but here is a good resto project from e36coupe.com of an e30 m3, you may have to join up to read it, but i think its worth it!

http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13370 0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=redeemer

As always, the pics on page 3 are the best!

Edited by coupe king
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"It’s F*cked"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pimpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2008 at 12:24
Nice work, a lot done in one day!
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2008 at 17:25
Originally posted by coupe king coupe king wrote:

Oh my god!!! Just wondering why you are taking the loom out too? I really hope it all goes back together again!!! Cant wait to se it when its finished!!! Great job mate, keep it up!!!

Well it's going down to a bare shell before it goes to the bodyshop so that when Matt's welding and fitting new parts to the car there's Nothing in his road. Also the picture above showing the rust hole, or the source of the foot spa(lol) the connectors for most of the wiring loom sat right in front of that area. So in order to get it fixed properly it had to come out anyway.

And it will go back together fine, I've got it all sussed, if it ain't clean and in good condition it ain't going back on the car, so I'm going to be busy!lol.
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2008 at 17:31

Not that you look like you need it, but here is a good resto project from e36coupe.com of an e30 m3, you may have to join up to read it, but i think its worth it!

http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13370 0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=redeemer

That link didn't work mate, ended up something about rubbing strips, had a wee sketch about but couldn't find it.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coupe king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2008 at 08:57

Strange it worked when i checked it straight after i posted it......hmmm

I you do an advanced search on 'redeemer' in the members journals by member 'Kul', that will bring it up.

Its nothing to do with rubbing strips.

Originally posted by vpricey vpricey wrote:

That link didn't work mate, ended up something about rubbing strips, had a wee sketch about but couldn't find it.
bluebro View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2008 at 17:02

Great work Paul, it's great to see all the parts that actually go in to making a car!

I love that 'if it ain't clean, it doesn't go back in' philosophy.

F22 Estoril Blue M235i
muppet 2 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Z3..Apple of my eye

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppet 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2008 at 17:17
Alwats liked your car paul and i am looking forward to seeiong the end results
I have been diagnosed with ADHOtS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh that's Shiney

vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2008 at 23:47
Originally posted by bluebro bluebro wrote:

Great work Paul, it's great to see all the parts that actually go in to making a car!

I love that 'if it ain't clean, it doesn't go back in' philosophy.

Cheers John, well I only want to do this once, so I may aswell give it my best shot!!

Thanks for the comments folks, I should have the shell ready to go on Saturday I think, as my mate Neil and I are going up to take the fuel and brake systems off, and that should be about it, apart from stripping the bumpers, mirrors and a couple of pieces of tricky trim.
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2009 at 21:51
Just a wee upate....

I got the remaining bits and bobs off from in the engine bay, fuel filter bracket and bonnet runners, then started to get it degreased for painting, but first I removed the stickers and the last piece of sound deadning with a heat gun. Anyone know if any of the stickers are still made??

Anyway...before..

The stickers...

during...

After...

So it's better than it was, managed to get most of the way oil off, but still got the bit bellow the battery tray and the front section to do.

I think that's mostly it for the shell till it comes back, so I'll prob start to strip and clean the engine in the next week or so. Anyone know of anything good for cleaning up all of the metal parts, I think someone mentioned Alubrite before but I'm not sure???

cheers. 
jimmy136 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2009 at 08:33
really enjoyed reading this, keep up the good work, the car will look a million dollars when its done
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"It’s F*cked"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pimpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2009 at 21:21
I think you can still get all those stickers, have a look on realoem.com

Keep up the good work!
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2009 at 23:34
Originally posted by big pimpin big pimpin wrote:

I think you can still get all those stickers, have a look on realoem.com

Keep up the good work!

It's a nightmare trying to figure out what sticker is what on there, I think the colour sticker is still available but I'm not sure about the rest?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic