Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Motorsport & Track Days Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - FARFUS CLAIMS POLE POSITION FOR BMW IN JAPAN - MULLER COMES SECOND
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFARFUS CLAIMS POLE POSITION FOR BMW IN JAPAN - MULLER COMES SECOND

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FARFUS CLAIMS POLE POSITION FOR BMW IN JAPAN - MULLER COMES SECOND
    Posted: 30-October-2008 at 22:11
FARFUS CLAIMS POLE POSITION FOR BMW IN JAPAN - MULLER COMES SECOND
27/10/2008

Okayama, 25th October 2008. Augusto Farfus (BR) and Jörg Müller (DE) claimed the best-possible result for their team in qualifying for the 21st round of the FIA World Touring Car Championship in Okayama (JP): BMW Team Germany’s Farfus set the fastest lap of the day, which was 1:37.040 minutes. Müller finished second, crossing the line 0.227 seconds slower than his team-mate. Thus Schnitzer Motorsport’s driver pairing secured both spots on the front row of the grid for Sunday’s first sprint race at the “Okayama International Circuit”. Félix Porteiro (ES) posted the ninth-fastest lap time for BMW Team Italy-Spain in the WTCC’s debut qualifying in Japan. BMW Team UK’s Andy Priaulx (GB) will start from 11th on the grid. Porteiro’s team-mate, Alessandro Zanardi (IT), had to make do with 18th on the timesheets.
As was the case in Pau (FR) and Brands Hatch (GB), Farfus was the dominant force in qualifying, living up to expectations after setting the pace in every test and practice session so far this weekend. “Despite these promising results we just couldn’t be sure to be on top in qualifying as well,” said the 25-year-old. “But everything worked out perfectly, and now I’m just absolutely happy. I’m also happy for the team, which deserves such a result after all the bad luck we suffered this season. Unfortunately I’m no longer involved in the fight for the drivers’ title. But we will do our best to score as many points for BMW on Sunday, just to keep alive the theoretical chance of defending the manufacturers’ crown.”

Farfus controlled the pace in qualifying from the word go and took the lead after his first attempt. Half way through the session, he improved further and consolidated his lead. Farfus aborted another promising lap in the dying seconds of the 30-minute session, as at that time none of his rivals were able to challenge him for pole. “Augusto was driving in a class of his own,” said an impressed Müller. “I had to do a lot of work to get to his level. I’m happy that I succeeded. It’s nice to share the front row of the grid with your team-mate, and hopefully we can fend off the attacks from the competition during the rolling start.”

Priaulx, the only BMW driver who is still in with a chance to win the drivers’ title, was less happy with his qualifying result. “I never like to make excuses but here things just conspired against me,” he said. “I was on a good lap when a car went off and caused the yellow flags to come out, and then on my next attempt traffic played its part again. The car was good at the start of the weekend, and I just want to find that speed again.”

Race one at the “Okayama International Circuit” will start on Sunday at 14:35hrs local time (5:35hrs GMT), the second race will get underway at 16:05hrs (7:05hrs GMT). The two rounds will be televised by Eurosport International. The races will also be streamed live on the internet, at www.bmw-motorsport.com
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2008 at 22:12
FOUR PODIUM FINISHES FOR BMW IN JAPANESE WTCC PREMIERE
27/10/2008

Okayama, 26th October 2008. At the “Okayama International Circuit”, four BMW drivers made it onto the podium in rounds 21 and 22 of the FIA World Touring Car Championship. BMW Team Germany’s Jörg Müller (DE) finished race one, which was held in wet conditions, second closely followed by Andy Priaulx (GB) of BMW Team UK. On a drying track, Müller’s team-mate Augusto Farfus (BR) scored eight points by finishing second in race two, while BMW privateer, Sergio Hernandez (ES), claimed third for Proteam Motorsport. SEAT’s Rickard Rydell (SE) and Tom Coronel (NL) took the two victories at the 3.703-kilometre track. BMW Team Italy-Spain’s Félix Porteiro (ES) was rewarded with a point for his impressive drive through the field in race two. His team-mate Alessandro Zanardi (IT), however, left Japan empty-handed.
In the manufacturers’ classification, SEAT won the championship title with two more races to go, after scoring 304 points. BMW follows in second, 53 points behind, and cannot be caught by Chevrolet in the season finale. In the Drivers’ Championship, no BMW driver is in with a chance of winning the title. It’s now a two-way fight between Yvan Muller (FR) and Gabriele Tarquini (IT) to determine the successor of triple world champion Priaulx, who remains the best-placed BMW driver in fifth with 67 points.

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen:
“Congratulations to SEAT. After we won every title over the past four seasons, SEAT’s turbo-diesel concept has dominated proceedings on the track this season. It goes without saying that we are disappointed not to have defended successfully either the Drivers’ or Manufacturers’ Championships. However, I am still proud of what we have achieved: given the prerequisites, we have achieved the maximum possible out of what was available to us, and have stood at the top of the podium six times. All the same, things must change for next season. The basis is a regulation that gives all the manufacturers a chance of winning a balanced and fair competition. This basic prerequisite is crucial to the future of the World Touring Car Championship.”

Jörg Müller (BMW Team Germany):
“I made quite a good start in race one and emerged from the turmoil in Turn 1 as leader. Initially I was able to open up a gap, but then the performance of my wet tyres dropped off. It was impossible to hold Rickard Rydell back. That’s why I’m really happy with finishing second.”

Andy Priaulx (BMW Team UK):
“SEAT put a strong commitment into this season and fielded an excellent driver line-up. Therefore, I know I shall lose the title to a really strong driver, which makes it a bit easier for me. In the first race I fought hard for my third place, while I unfortunately made a mistake in race two. Now I want to finish the season with another good result in Macau, my favourite track.”

Augusto Farfus (BMW Team Germany):
“Over the course of the whole weekend we were really strong, and I could have scored a better result if I hadn’t braked on the white line following the start of race one. My wheels locked, and I lost a lot of positions. Thanks to my great car, however, I managed to collect eleven points here in Japan.”

Sergio Hernandez (Proteam Motorsport):
“Of course I was a bit lucky in race two. But for a privateer driver it’s always sensational to finish on the podium. This is a fitting reward for the tremendous job my team has done this weekend.”

Félix Porteiro (BMW Team Italy-Spain):
“It’s a pity I couldn’t translate the performance of my car into a better result. A collision with James Thompson and a puncture put an early end to my first race, while I was able to pass 20 drivers in the second race. We should have achieved more today.”

Alessandro Zanardi (BMW Team Italy-Spain):
“I’m really disappointed about my Japanese weekend. In race one I successfully worked my way back up into 13th following a spin. In the second race I retired on lap two. On both occasions I can only blame myself for what happened. In terms of pure speed, we had the potential for a better result.”
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic