Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Head gasket gone, new engine needed. need advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHead gasket gone, new engine needed. need advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2008 at 14:21
Originally posted by quarryman quarryman wrote:

Is carrying over the M50 inlet manifold, ECU and
loom a lot of extra work?

Yes. Modified M50 manifold and a special adaptor for the throttle body
for starters. The M50 tb does not fit the M52 inlet manifold and vice
versa.
I don't have a carbon footprint. I drive everywhere.
Sponsored Links

quarryman View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quarryman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2008 at 15:00
Any idea of the BHP with M52 manifold? I'm assuming it would be similar to the M52 2.5, 170bhp?

The M50 block is 17KGs heavier so would I be looking at a slower car overall?

edit:
Actually it looks like the difference is 32kg, (166kg for the M50 vs 198kg for the M52).

I would have thought that that would be a noticeable difference when driving it.

Edited by quarryman
E36 323i Coupe
ice_tis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ice_tis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2008 at 16:40
hi guys,does anybody knows good garages in dublin  (south if posiblle) that could fix this problem(head gasket).maybe u know where to get that fixed cheeper.thanx for help.
quarryman View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quarryman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2008 at 17:01
hey, what engine is it? I haven't got mine fixed yet and have decided on an engine swap instead. The alluminium blocks aren't suitable for repair if they have overheated after the HG going (or so i've learned).

If you want a quote on repair try here:
01 453 1433.

They are the south circular road. Ring around though as they aren't the cheapest.
E36 323i Coupe
ice_tis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ice_tis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2008 at 17:07
it`s a e46 318 2001 nothing big :) well the problem that coolant botle(tank) cracked(water leeks).i went to one garage they told me more about that.he told that it cost about 6oo euro to fix this.anyway i just wanna be sure before paying or fixing anything... thanks for the number (handshake)
quarryman View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quarryman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2008 at 17:12
So so is the head gasket getting fixed for 600 or the coolant bottle. I would have thought 600 is a reasonable quote for the HG but i'll let the experts here comment. Might be worth you making a separate thread to get more visibility.
E36 323i Coupe
ice_tis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ice_tis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2008 at 17:18
 head gasket cousing that problem(its the first sign that HG f***ed)as he told me.something with the presure that makes that botle cracked.(sorry about my english,im not local in ireland) this is my first car and im preaty desepointed:( i realy love that car and i dont want to sell it or something.thanks for ur help 
deeko1973 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeko1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2008 at 00:08
Hi - I've just added a new post that's related to this.. might be worth a look
if it'll save you money...

As i said in the post.. not sure of the exact details at the mo but i'll add
them as soon as i know more...

Cheers,

Derek

E46 2000 330i Saloon
quarryman View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quarryman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2008 at 18:21
Hey all, update to this.

Engine was replaced with an M50. It was decided that a head gasket repair might be a waste of time due to the risk of the bolts pulling when tightening the head back on.

Thanks to MBW1 for the replacement engine!
E36 323i Coupe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic