Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Motorsport & Track Days Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Final overseas WTCC spurt: BMW national teams line up in Japan.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFinal overseas WTCC spurt: BMW national teams line up in Japan.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Final overseas WTCC spurt: BMW national teams line up in Japan.
    Posted: 20-October-2008 at 23:37

Final overseas WTCC spurt: BMW national teams line up in Japan.

10-20-2008 Press Release

Munich, 20th October 2008. The FIA World Touring Car Championship is entering the finishing straight: this weekend the BMW national teams travel to Japan, where the “Okayama International Circuit” is the venue for rounds 21 and 22 of the 2008 season. This sees the 3.703-kilometre track in the woods around the city of Mimasaka (JP) host an FIA world championship event for the first time since the two Formula One races in 1994 and 1995.

Four races before the end of the season, only in theory does BMW have any chance of defending its titles in the Drivers' and Manufacturers' Championships. BMW Team UK’s Andy Priaulx (GB) is 34 points behind leader Yvan Muller (FR). In the manufacturers’ standings, BMW has 223 points to its name – 54 points less than the leader SEAT. Unlike the fast tracks the series has raced on recently at Imola (IT) and Monza (IT), the twisting “Okayama International Circuit” should reduce the disadvantage the BMW drivers have over their rivals with turbo diesel engines.

Andy Priaulx (BMW Team UK):
“I have never even been to Japan, let alone raced there. I know very little about the track other than a video I have seen on the internet. As regards the title race, I shall never give up until the points’ total says it is impossible for me to win, but I have to be realistic about my chances this year.”

Jörg Müller (BMW Team Germany):
“Okayama is virgin territory for me, which is why it is so important to build up in advance an accurate impression of the circuit. Here the internet plays an important role, with onboard footage of virtually every circuit being available. I find that is a huge help. I know Suzuka and Fuji; now I am looking forward to Okayama.”

Augusto Farfus (BMW Team Germany):
“I’m really excited about going to Japan. We shall experience a completely different culture – and I love new experiences. On paper the Okayama circuit looks as if it could suit us well. However, we shall have to wait for the first session to know whether in reality this will be the case or not.”

Félix Porteiro (BMW Team Italy-Spain):
“I was very happy with my performance in this year’s overseas races in Brazil, where I scored nine points. Therefore I hope to have similar results in Japan and China. I’m especially confident for Okayama. Our BMW 320si WTCC should be able to prove its strengths there.”

Alessandro Zanardi (BMW Team Italy-Spain):
“Logistically speaking, a trip to Japan is always a nightmare for various reasons. On the other hand, this problem is compensated for by the enthusiasm of all the Japanese race fans. I've never been to Aida, however, I know how professional and meticulous the Japanese promoters are, and that's why I'm looking forward to a well organised event.”

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic