Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE39 Light error isue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E39 Light error isue
    Posted: 16-October-2008 at 22:21

Not sure if anyone can advise, I keep getting an eror to show one of my rear left lights is faulty, I have changed all the bulbs twice now with new ones but the error still shows on the dash despite every single light functioning correctly.

Any adive would be great. Also does anyone know the story with the front headlights on the 2000 model E39, they constantly fog up on the insides and it just looks crap and reduces the light emmited too. The seals na d all other items appear to be good. I have noticed this on quite a few E39's. Is this a manufacturer issue or fault wih this particular model?

Finally, I recntly had  an oil service, however the oil service icon lights up on the dash, is there anyway to reset this without paying BMW to do so?

Many thanks,

Mick.

Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2008 at 22:30
1. try BMW bulbs - some cheaper ones don't have the required resistance for the ECU.
2. I have a reset tool and can hook up with you. Alternatively pick one up youself from somewhere like GSF
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
davepat4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davepat4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2008 at 20:05

I had this problem once....it drove me nuts! I soon discovered that there is a high level brake light (just above the rear parcel shelf, up against the back window). Take off the cover which is accessed from the boot and put a new bulb in...hopefully that will solve your problem? I didnt realise there was a high level brake light as the glass was tinted and hid the housing!

Hope that helps!

OptiCanTuning View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OptiCanTuning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2008 at 00:42
Originally posted by davepat4 davepat4 wrote:

I had this problem once....it drove me nuts! I soon discovered that there is a high level brake light (just above the rear parcel shelf, up against the back window). Take off the cover which is accessed from the boot and put a new bulb in...hopefully that will solve your problem? I didnt realise there was a high level brake light as the glass was tinted and hid the housing!

Hope that helps!

as mentioned above

Previous E39 525TDS
E60 535D at present time,i wish i own the fuel station
www.opticantuning.com
mikeydee View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2008 at 15:17

Thanks a mill folks for all the help.

I am going to try to get the issues fixed this evening.

Where is GSF by the way, I must get that reset tool.

Cheers,

Mike

Oisin View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oisin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2008 at 15:33
2006 VW Passat 1.9tdi
1995 E34 520i(M5)Sold.New classic required
Previous: 2004 Santa fee commercial - 2001 Saab 9-5 3.0,Tid - 1997 E39 525tds

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2008 at 18:31

The centre brake light failure is indicated as a blown tail lamp bulb.  One side of the failure warning diagram lights up to indicate that the centre lamp is out.  From memory I cannot remember which tail light side indicates the centre brake light failure.

Mibbie one of the guys with an E39 manual to hand can oblige.

Take the car back to the garage that did the oil change and ask them to reset the service indicator.

Um hang on, if yours is a facelift model i.e. after some point in 2000 (September?), can't you reset the service lights by a combination of the trip reset button and turning the ignition on and off at certain times?  I think this procedure may even be described in the Haynes Manual for the E39 which will be cheaper than any set of reset tool from ECP or GSF.

My E39, a 98 model required a re-set tool.

HTH

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2008 at 18:34
iirc the centre shows up as the driver side rear
Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
mikeydee View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2008 at 19:56

Thanks for all your help, just looked at the centre bulb and though it was working all the housing has become slightly melted and the bulb was embedded in it. I will have to order the part and new bulb anyhow and hopefully that will do the job!

On another note, can anyone recommend suitable headlights units for the E39, my current ones constantly get fogged up which makes the car look miserable on the front and the fact that the light is lost behind the cloud of condensation does not help these dark evenings...

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2008 at 08:18

The E39 front headlamps are crap full stop.  Supposidly the post facelift E39, the ones with angel eyes were better.  I was getting dazzeled by headlights on the M8 recently and I was suprised to find out that an E39 was the culprit but it was some chav who had lowered it and then over adjusted the headlights back up to compensate for the car being lowered. 

The best upgrade for E39 headlights would be to buy an E60!

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic