Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE36 springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E36 springs
    Posted: 02-October-2008 at 22:55
My '98 328 convertible has a broken rear spring & the main dealer wants over 200 for a new pair!

My local BMW motorfactor Motorforce sell a set of 4 Sachs Boge springs which will lower the car 30mm front, 20mm rear for 95.

Sachs Boge are OE on BMW's so I expect the quality to be good. However, the car is already so low I can't get my trolley jacks under it & I don't want to lose ride quality. I'm not especially after improved handling.

Has anybody fitted these springs?

Also thought about a 2nd hand pair from one of the BMW breakers but & I'm a bit dubious about that.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Sponsored Links

shinyb1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinyb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2008 at 08:35
i have fitted these in the past , the ride is more or less the same with 15" OR 16" WHEELS but when you go to 17" the ride seems a bit lighter but for 95 you cant grumble - worth a gamble!
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2008 at 18:05
How about driving the car onto a wooden baton (plank to most people)? Would that raise it enough to get a trolley jack under?
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2008 at 20:50
Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

How about driving the car onto a wooden baton (plank to most people)? Would that raise it enough to get a trolley jack under?

Yes, that's what I did although the trolley jack issue isn't what bothers me, it's speed bumps etc.

I know E36 coupes & convertibles have the M-Tec suspension already which lowers them 15 or 20 mm, i just didn't want to have the car in the weeds.

I don't mind firming things up a little but I don't want to go too hard.

AndyS

MBW1 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2008 at 11:14
I bought a set of E34 Boge springs from Motorforce. Great company, but
rubbish springs. They didn't fit quite right and the rears were so short I
had to refit the originals. Very, very poor.
If it's a nice car, don't mess around with cheap rubbish. You need a set of
Eibach springs which are about as good as you can get.
I don't have a carbon footprint. I drive everywhere.
MBW1 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2008 at 11:30
By the way. I have a pair of one year old genuine M Technic rear coils
from a 328i Coupe in excellent condition. Yours for 45 delivered - and
keep your car standard.

Edited by MBW1
I don't have a carbon footprint. I drive everywhere.
Andrewf20 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrewf20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2008 at 17:00
Heres a possible alternative (half) solution..

I have a broken spring on my back left wheel. (small piece broken off at the bottom, but enough to notice the car sag on that side).I rotated the spring 180 degrees and whatever way the spring is sitting, the suspension doesnt sag. Not the best solution, but its been like that for 2 years without further bother.

See pics below. The spring on the back left is broken, the spring on the back right is not broken, yet both sides look fine. Handling still feels fine.

www.bmwcarclubireland.com/gallery/displayimage.php?al bum=192&pos=20

www.bmwcarclubireland.com/gallery/displayimage.php?al bum=192&pos=26

Edited by Andrewf20
Andrew Purcell
E36 323i
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2008 at 19:57
Well I can't see your pictures but I take your point.

There's no visible sag on my car although I haven't measured the ride height yet.

There are no untoward noises or other symptoms (other than the slight wandery feeling at speed). It was only after I discovered the broken spring that I thought about the stability issue.

Luckily MBW1 has been able to supply me with a good 2nd hand pair which I'll fit asap. I'll report back when they're on the the car but I still think a 4-wheel alignment will be worth doing.

AndyS

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2008 at 17:30
New springs fitted (thanks MBW1).

What an easy job! Wish all fixes were this simple.

AndyS

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2010 at 15:12

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

I know E36 coupes & convertibles have the M-Tec suspension already which lowers them 15 or 20 mm...

sorry to drag up an old thread, but I have a broken o/s rear spring on my 07/2004 E36 Coupe which I want to replace with OEM and I noticed the remark above - so does anyone know the part number/description of the one I need so I can get a 2nd hand one from somewhere?

thanks...

Edited by thepits
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2010 at 17:24
Have a look here - http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/

Just enter your chassis no. & it will find the right part numbers for you.

There are several different springs available depending on which model & even equipment you have.

I suspect the springs I put on the rear of my convertible were from a coupe as it seems to sit a little low at the rear. All works fine though.

AndyS

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2010 at 15:00

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

Have a look here - http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/

Just enter your chassis no. & it will find the right part numbers for you.

There are several different springs available depending on which model & even equipment you have.

I - eventually  - looked there and it gave me the same information as on realoem - i.e. there is a choice of 'red' or 'white' springs - but no part numbers  (thanks anyway Andy)

Looks like I'll have to give the 'stealers' a ring

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
jimf671 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimf671 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2011 at 02:38
Secondhand springs are also called "tested".
JimF

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic