Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA new "tax" on motorists

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A new "tax" on motorists
    Posted: 16-September-2008 at 20:39
Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2008 at 20:48
feckin greens!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Rossi View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2008 at 21:01
What next?! no farting allowed in vehicles?
People smoking in their private cars may be next in line for on-the-spot fines, that would be the next course of action, no doubt..

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2008 at 21:02
Oh I can see it now, bloody green patrol walking down the middle of the motorway issuing tickets...

,,,makes me want to drive a great big 4x4 and run em over (that if and when the traffic starts moving...)
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
simoneyes View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simoneyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2008 at 21:18

Im existing about ten mins away from Snoreham and i must confess that traffic is pretty bad there. However,i feel that the main reason is the many sets of seemingly needless pedestrian crossings,traffic lights roundabouts and traffic calming experiments.As well as the fact that this is a major route into Hove which passes through residential,industrial and town.

Greens should p**s of somewhere else,maybe Anthrax island.

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2008 at 21:36

Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

This just has to be a wind-up

Nah, it's the DM - it has to be true

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2008 at 09:28

It's not as stupid as it sounds, otherwise why has BMW developed it's new cars top do just that automatically.

It is however wrong to fine people for not doing it. 

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2008 at 11:05
was thinking today while stuck in a bit of traffic - isn't it true that cars burn more fuel starting them up than letting them tick over? So if this is true, then how long does it need before stopping and starting a car for it to become financially efficient? besides in the time it takes to become financially efficient the engine has cooled down and thus becomes less efficient in itself (cats need to be running at a high temperature to become efficient).

Just my tuppence worth..
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2008 at 12:50

I seem to remember a similar argument for leaving on fluorescant lights. 

In my opinion the engine and cat etc wouldn't cool down that much if you stop for a couple of minutes. After all on a warm day the engine can still be warm after it hasn't been running for over an hour.  

Their will be a time where it isn't worth stopping the engine but I bet it is only something like seconds rather than minutes.

As I said, if it was silly then why have BMW automated it on their new cars? 

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2008 at 09:21
Instead of another stealth tax on car owners why dont they actually listen to the boffins as to where the most greenhouse gasses come from and start fining farmers for each fart a cow does.
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2008 at 10:47
Originally posted by Stone-IslandV8 Stone-IslandV8 wrote:

Instead of another stealth tax on car owners why dont they actually listen to the boffins as to where the most greenhouse gasses come from and start fining farmers for each fart a cow does.

Cows with dump valves and exhaust systems in future?

Methane gas is more damaging to the environment than CO2 emmisions. There is a larger, more devastating threat from the Tundra plains in Russia. Trapped natural methane gas being released into the environment due to permafrost melting. Fossil fuel is to blame for Global warming and Coal burning is/was the main culprit not petrol/diesel. It's taken so many years to make an effect that the technology has only in the last 10-20 years picked it up.
The victorian era done so much environmental damage and governments are now capitalising on it and the Greens are happy to play along IMHO.

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2008 at 17:05
I heard on the radio that the emmissions from cars etc amount to only 5% or thereabouts of greenhouse gases whereas cow/livestock gas is circa 40%. Not sure if thats true or not but its a revealing figure.

So if you really want to p**s off a green then drive your 8L V12 round the farm at maximum revs, revving it at idle, on your way to feed the farm animals
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
simoneyes View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simoneyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2008 at 17:30
Maybe we should all leave our cars at home and drive cows instead!
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2008 at 21:01
Originally posted by simoneyes simoneyes wrote:

Maybe we should all leave our cars at home and drive cows instead!
I'd rather drive a raging bull..chasing the greens 
simoneyes View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simoneyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2008 at 22:27
I would pay to watch that,could be introduced as a new sport
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2008 at 08:43

What a load of sloblocks.

My mate has the automatic engine switch off thingie in his new diesel Mini and it freaks him out when it happens so he has switched the feckin' thing off.

I don't leave carbon footprints, I leave 2, 9" wide carbon tyre marks!

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2008 at 09:20
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

My mate has the automatic engine switch off thingie in his new diesel Mini and it freaks him out when it happens so he has switched the feckin' thing off.

Then he needs to get over himself. I sorry but 'It freaks him out', what is he, a girl  

Why purposefully turn off a function that saves you money??? 

It's not rocket science. BMW wouldn't do it if it wasn't of value and it didn't increase the cars fuel efficiency.

I suspect that a lot of people have decided in their own heads before seeing any evidence etc that stopping your engine when you are not moving is a waste of time so they're not going to be pursuaded no matter what any says.

It was Tolstoy who said:

"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already what is laid before him" 

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2008 at 23:33
Cynical little me would suggest that BMW would do this anyway, as being seen to be green, even if its tosh, will sell cars.
Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2008 at 15:49

If it does, as people on here have suggested, actually cause more polution then it must use more fuel. This would increase the fuel consumption of their cars. This would be a stupid thing for any car company to do. If it didn't actually work then all the 'apearing green' in the world is going to count for squat when people start to notice the poor economy. Also how do you then account for the published fuel economy and CO2 figures being a big improvement on the older models?

No I don't think it's right that we should start fining people for not turining their engines off. Thats' just stupid and the kind of idea that idiotic local councils would come up with. However if BMW has seen fit to automate this function on their cars accross the board and have achived a significant improvement in both emission and economy at the same time (yes I know they have made other changes too) then that is good enough to convince me that it is a sound idea.

Also, I find the notion that anyone would disable this feature because it freaked them out quite frankly crazy. I mean it might take some getting used too but that's all. Eventually you wouldn't even notice it happeneing. But then I guess some people really are that scared of change.

Sometimes the Green lobby goes too far and they frequently get it wrong and I can see how it gets peoples backs up. The trouble is that I get the feeling that any suggestion on how to reduce emmissions not matter how sensible would simply be dismissed out of hand by some people. We should not be so blind as to not recognise genuine innovation and progress when we see it.

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Daz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2008 at 15:37

damn, my blood has actually come to the boil whilst reading that sh*te!!

I do love the green party...

2009 E92 M3 - Milltek
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic