Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedABS and Traction Lights are on!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BungManWheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ABS and Traction Lights are on!!!
    Posted: 29-August-2008 at 20:56

Hi

I have an e39 2000 model.

The lights for the traction control and abs have come on, i went for a long drive today and it was fine, stopped the car, went back and started up thats when the lights came on.

Last week after along drive, when i stopped the engine and restarted the traction light came on and after a while when i restarted the engine it went off.

Any ideas??? your help is greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links

simoneyes View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simoneyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2008 at 21:17
i had this problem on my last bm (2000 e46 318). would be fine most of the time but on occasions traction and abs lights came on and stayed on.if i drove for two minutes,turned off ignition,then restart,lights cleared so i cleaned and lightly greased sensor tips,didnt sort it,then checked connections under front wheel arches. found that near side connector was a bit furry ,presumably from water ingress. gave this a good clean,replaced it and coated lightly with waterproof grease,problem solved.  well worth giving both these things a try as its not an uncommon problem.   good luck.
540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2008 at 02:35

I agree. The symptoms of such an intermittent fault suggest a loose, dirty or corroded sensor. Once this is eliminated you could possibly look at wiring if these fixes don't sort your problem.

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
devo11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devo11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2008 at 04:26
i have the same problem abs and asc lights staying on and when i restart the engine somethimes they stay off till i go over a big bump or it does the reverse the lights are off and then come on when i go over a big bump for me has to be the sensor that my guess im getting a diagnostics reading on monday to see what it is mate and i let you know.mine excact problem as you ha
BungManWheels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BungManWheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2008 at 19:59

Thanks for your help everyone.

Devo11 if you could let me know what your one says on the diagnosis that would be great.

Thanks again

Hasso View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2008 at 09:39

First of all you must make a diagnos and se if its a sensor or something else .

Very often sensors gets microcracks, water comes in and make trouble, and when it have dry again every thing is oK until next time.

If you get a fauyltycode fore a sensor and change it and same faultycode comes back =modulefaulty. Its very commen on 1999 and 2000 modelyear of E39 and E38.

BMW change system on ASC/ABS in 09/98 from a "Analog" with wireregulation and the electronic module was locatet in the car)

When the change fore a more "digital regulation" and put the electrocinmodule on the ABS hydralicunit under the hood they get problem, most becuse of the heat, some newer e39 have a heatprotecion between the absunite and the engine.

You could buy a bottle of cooling spray and spray over de ABS/ASC elektonicmodule when the lights is on, if they goes out=modulefaulty. Possible to repair, in Sweden we send them to modulemaster i USA who repair them with 5 years warranty fore "cheap" money and no coding is needed.

If you have sensorproblems and would change it your self be very caraful it the sensor is stocked in the hole and needs drilling out. Very easy to damage the triggerpoints who is included in the wheelbearingssealing and thats a complete unit so if you damage it you must change complete wheelbearing and that note cheap.

Note: Left rear sensor =speedometer if it dont work sensorproblem. Right rear sensor= cruise control =dont work change sensor.

If you get faultycode on a rear sensor and the speedometer or crusiecontrol stil works OK =modulefaulty most of times.

BR Hasso
BMW 540T 2001 6 speed.
BMW 316G (biogas) -1998
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bilder.asp?bil=40895
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bmw.asp?bil=45700
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bmw.asp?bil=40865
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bmw.asp?bil=45749

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2008 at 09:09

Yeah you need a diagnostic check done to tell you which sensor is faulty.

After you have identified which sensor is faulty it is very easy to do a diy job on replacing it.

Sensor is about £50 from Euro Car Parts.  A front sensor on an E39 is held in with two 5mm Allen Key bolts which will no doubt have their heads filled with corrosion which will require cleaning out before inserting the Allen Key.

I had to replace both the front sensors on my E39 after getting them checked out by Diagnostic equipment.

Andrew 

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
BungManWheels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BungManWheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2008 at 14:15

Thank you everyone for your help.

I had already changed the rear near left sensor, that fine, and the cruise control is fine, that rules out the rear right sensor.

I am changing the front sensors, this is cheaper then getting a diagnosis.

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2008 at 15:48

Originally posted by BungManWheels BungManWheels wrote:

I am changing the front sensors, this is cheaper then getting a diagnosis.

Eh?

Each sensor is the price of a diagnostic check.  Changing two sensors is twice the price of a diagnostic check!

A wheel sensor is about 50 - 60 notes from ECP.  A diagnostic check is usually 1 hour of labour which is about 35 - 60 notes.

If you are lucky and you know the boy at the local garage, he will do a diagnostic check for your nowt or minimal amounts.

It might not just be a sensor fault.  A diagnostic check would correctly identify the fault and could save ££££ in the long term. 

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic