Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIs this BMW’s Project i electric car?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this BMW’s Project i electric car?
    Posted: 28-August-2008 at 12:59
Quote Thanks to the German car-magazine Autobild we now have some images that show us how the result of BMW’s project i might look like. The i-car will be an electronic car to suit the requirements of the future. This means an even higher demand for oil, rising gas-prices, mega-cities - but despite that everybody wants to be mobile. BMW will not build a hybrid car to solve this problem since these cars still need fuel, although it is a bit less. Instead of that the car will most likely be powered by an electronic engine only.

The head of BMW’s project i-division, Friedrich Eichinger, admits that the perfect solution has not been found yet. So there are a lot of ideas and different concepts the engineers at BMW think about. Maybe BMW can benefit from the competence they have concerning motorcycles and the new i-car will be more like a motorcycle than a car, maybe the result will look completely different. One thing is nice in this case: We are not the only ones who don’t know, nobody knows it yet…

BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer also told Autobild, that BMW will not build a new Isetta. According to him that would be “the wrong signal for the brand and the time” we are living in. The “C2? you see above is a kind of motorbike for 2 persons, but it should offer the safety of a modern car. Autobild quotes another manager who says that there is room for another BMW below the 1 series that could arrive very early. He doubts that they will build such a car with rear-wheel-drive due to the higher costs and less space in the car that would be resulting.

Norbert Reithofer announces new information about the project i for december and says that there might be another five years of waiting until these cars arrive on the streets. But he promises that these cars will still create driving pleasure and will suit the requirements of the future far better than anything you can see today.

[Source BMWBlog.com]

The E1 from 1991 - 45hp - up to 120 km/h with a range of 250 kilometres

BMW Z13

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic