Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - E39 jangle noise coming from front right wheel area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE39 jangle noise coming from front right wheel area

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E39 jangle noise coming from front right wheel area
    Posted: 29-July-2008 at 08:56
guys, i have a  jangle noise coming from the front right wheel area. it sounds like 2-3 thin pieces of metal clanging together when i go over bumps. it seems to be suspension related. any ideas?
Sponsored Links

Dazz View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2008 at 10:03
I had a problem like that and on my passanger side when i looked under the car (if you get a dry summer day) i saw that the tie rod from the shock to the anti roll bar was broken these links have two ball joints on them and if the rubber boot gets torn water and dirt get in and breaks down this joint i got mine from otto for about 35 euro ish! i hope this helps  
Dazz 1999 E39 523i auto
     1996 E39 523i
     1990 VW corrado
Ishindar View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2008 at 11:32

thanks for the info Dazz. i jacked her up and removed the front wheel last night and had a look. i didnt see any problems although i was reluctant to stick my head in under. i guess ill run her up onto a kerb and slip under and get a good look after work...

Edited by Ishindar
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2008 at 13:06

If it is a light sounding noise it will be from a light gauge piece of metal.  A anti roll bar link would be a bit heavier. 

You probably have a damaged brake disc splasher shield.  These are thing gauge metal sheets shaped around the brake disc to shield the disc from water.  These bolt to the front steering knuckle with small bolts which can become detached. 

To replace the brake shield you would need to take off the calliper, take off the calliper support cradle and the brake disc.  Long job just to do it but fairly easy provided you have a 7 mm (I think) Allen key for the brake calliper retaining bolts.

HTH

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Ishindar View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2008 at 13:39
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

If it is a light sounding noise it will be from a light gauge piece of metal.  A anti roll bar link would be a bit heavier. 

You probably have a damaged brake disc splasher shield.  These are thing gauge metal sheets shaped around the brake disc to shield the disc from water.  These bolt to the front steering knuckle with small bolts which can become detached. 

To replace the brake shield you would need to take off the calliper, take off the calliper support cradle and the brake disc.  Long job just to do it but fairly easy provided you have a 7 mm (I think) Allen key for the brake calliper retaining bolts.

HTH

Andrew

i didnt notice this when i had the wheel off last night but from your understanding of my problem i think you are spot on. ill check this out tomorrow when i have some time. thks for the invaluable info Andrew, ill let u know how it goes.   

irishwoody View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2008 at 15:35
Had a similar noise - it was a loose aluminium bar used to hold the cover under engine in place. Very light janglely noise going round bends and uneven surfaces. Just tightened it up - Not sure if this helps ?
'06 X5 Comm.
'97 740
'97 523 For sale

Dublin
Ishindar View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2008 at 15:48

Originally posted by irishwoody irishwoody wrote:

Had a similar noise - it was a loose aluminium bar used to hold the cover under engine in place. Very light janglely noise going round bends and uneven surfaces. Just tightened it up - Not sure if this helps ?

sounds like another big possibility, ill check it out thks! 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2008 at 08:20

I suppose to be fair it could be anything.  Noises can appear to come from certain areas when indeed they come from somewhere else.

Keep us posted on what you find.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Ishindar View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2008 at 10:06

i checked these things out last night but they are not the problem. I only bought the car a week ago and it was ok then. they did replace the ABS box and sensors just before i got the car. im thinking now they must have left something lose.

i got a 6 month engine and gearbox warranty but i guess if they induced a problem they should fix it! 

Tomski View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2008 at 20:34

Hi.i have the same noise coming from the front of the car.I checked brake shields and they are a bit rusty.But thats a different noise,as one of you says driving on uneven surfaces and speedbumps.Even when the car is parked and i push the front of car down i can hear it,knock knock.

Ive never heard about aluminium bar.Once i have a look agian i will share results.

stephenperry View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2008 at 22:42

could this be helpful?  similar symptoms on another forum

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=29158&si d=2fb1be847e38d8ff5dc00a478e8fabc2

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Ishindar View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2008 at 10:06
Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

could this be helpful?  similar symptoms on another forum

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=29158&si d=2fb1be847e38d8ff5dc00a478e8fabc2

nice ill check this out, hope the weather improves today

Ishindar View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2008 at 10:08
Originally posted by Tomski Tomski wrote:

Hi.i have the same noise coming from the front of the car.I checked brake shields and they are a bit rusty.But thats a different noise,as one of you says driving on uneven surfaces and speedbumps.Even when the car is parked and i push the front of car down i can hear it,knock knock.

Ive never heard about aluminium bar.Once i have a look agian i will share results.

mine makes no noise when i push down the front down hard so u may have a different problem, but annoying none the less!

Dave E View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2008 at 15:44
E32 V8
In 2001 I had a very pronounced rattling sound from the front suspension whenever I ran over pot holes and bumps. I checked for play in the suspension with the car jacked up - nothing.
I took it down to Robert Stern who, with a short test drive and inspection on the ramps, found it to be a faulty anti-roll bar link.
I later realised that the anti-roll bar is under load when jacked up and therefore more difficult to trace any looseness.

E39
A few weeks ago after turning sharply right at traffic lights I had a sudden squealing of metal against metal.
I couldn't see anything obvious under the car. This continued for about 500 yards until I pulled into my mate's driveway. After removing the wheel and using an inspection mirror I saw a small stone stuck between the front wheel brake disk and the metal guard. I removed it with a pair of very long nosed pliers which is now part of my tool kit in the boot.
Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2008 at 13:19
Check also the under trays. The screws can rattle wneh loose but dont fall off.
Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
Ishindar View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2008 at 07:41

lol i only have the car about a week and now more problems. im driving home last night and traction control turns off. The EML(engine electronics) light comes on and shes spluttering along. I pulled over and turned off the engine, turned it back on and now i get the light for "deterioration of exhaust emission control valves" but the other warnings were now gone.

she slows up a lot when i take my foot off the clutch. I drove the final 2 mins home and let her sit for a few hours. tried her again and again but the exhaust control valve error still showing until i stated her up this morning and it was gone. she still drives like sh*t tho.

I guess ill ring the dealer this morning and get him to check all this stuff out.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2008 at 17:26

Get it plugged into a diagnostic machine pronto.  Don't drive it unless you have to i.e. to the dealer.

What kinda warranty did you get with the car?

Keep us posted.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Ishindar View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2008 at 15:07
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Get it plugged into a diagnostic machine pronto.  Don't drive it unless you have to i.e. to the dealer.

What kinda warranty did you get with the car?

Keep us posted.

Andrew

the dealer picked it up yesterday and is going to sort it. i got a 6 mth engine and gearbox warranty. im still waiting for news but fair play to him (mike armstrong) no quibbles or hassles, just immediate action.

Tomski View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2008 at 19:13

I know the answer for my problem..

I dont know if i use the proper word /" drop links" this is what is making noise.

Bought them today-just waiting for a good weather as i deciced to change them myself.

Well i replaced two front drop links (L30.90 pair) and noise is gone.It took me 1,5h,it was an easy job

Edited by Tomski
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic