Forum LockedE39 PDC problem...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
denishogan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
What’s this title thing about then?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E39 PDC problem...
    Posted: 31-August-2008 at 21:49
Thanks, still haven't had any luck with them. I'll check them again tomorrow.
Sponsored Links

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2008 at 12:15
My rear sensors detect the tow hitch of my trailer when backing up to hook it up. Once hooked up PDC is quite.
BMW removable tow hitch.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Shamus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2008 at 00:24

Double check the clicking My 5 was like that just after I bought it.

I thought they were all clicking but after a few go'z found a rear one wasn't.

Gone but not forgotten..
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2008 at 12:03
Hi Andrew,

Good to see you managed to get back into another 545i. Well wear!

Mine is an E39 (November) - one of the last ones. Like I said, it was working previously with the hitch installed... so something has gone wrong since. But you are right, a wire/joint may have broken. I believe it was installed by BMW in the first case... but that doesn't mean it wasn't installed by a cowboy unfortunately!
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2008 at 17:33

When my towbar is plugged in the parking sensors do not pick it up!  This worried me slightly as I could appear to reverse into an object and they would not pick it up.

Sounds like some part of the unit is faulty. 

Or it could have been a cowboy installing the towbar and he has upset the wiring circuits as some towbars will cut out the reverse sensors when it knows there is a trailer hitched.  Something may have come adrift with the towbar wiring where it has been chopped into the wiring loom.  It will be worth poking about in the boot.

I fitted my towbar myself and did a proper job of the wiring but did not interfere with the reverse sensors so I manually switch them off when reversing the car with the trailer as they pick up the trailer drawbar.

Is it an E39 or E60?  Wait a minute you didn't get an E60 tourer in 2003 did you.

Still worth checking the towbar wiring.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2008 at 09:39
Did the test last night. All sensors, front and rear are making a clicking noise. Looks like I'll have to get the car plugged in to see what's wrong. Any other ideas? Does anyone know where I can get a "PDC Manual" - the owner's handbook isn't very detailed.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2008 at 10:46
Thanks for the info Dazz...

You are right that it is speed related (i.e. you can't turn them on while moving faster than a few mph).

I'll try testing them tonight.
Dazz View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2008 at 10:17
i had the same noise solid beep coming from mine to i found on a different forum how to check this whats happening to the reverse sensors is that one of them is broken to check this turn on the ignition to position II do not start !!!! then put the car in reverse go to the back of the car and put your ear to each sensor you should hear a clicking sound that means the sensor is working correctly keep checking until you find the one or two! that are not making any nose as for the front i dont have this on my car i do know that when you are parking or you have to switch on the front sensors so you dont keep seeing the car in front of you in traffic maybe the car senses the slow movement as parking and the switch flashes to remind you the front sensors are not switched on ?????  only a guess 
Dazz 1999 E39 523i auto
     1996 E39 523i
     1990 VW corrado
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2008 at 08:43
No, it's a standard BMW jobbie...

In mine the PDC switch is beside the ASC (under the front cup holders). I believe it controls both front and rear PDC. The light on the switch automatically starts flashing when you move the car at low speed. And it makes a solid "beep" for a few seconds every time I put it  in reverse. Very strange.

Anyone?
stephenperry View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2008 at 16:27

i don't have a light or a switch for my rear pdc, although admittedly mine has a build date of july 2000

sure it's not a laser park pro "parking sensor"?  

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2008 at 15:47
Hi all,

Just picked up a 2003 525d sport touring with PDC among other things. When I test drove the car, both front and rear sensors were working correctly. However, now (about three weeks later), every time I drive slowly, the PDC light (on the switch) flashes quickly. And every time I engage reverse, the PDC makes a solid beep for a few seconds.

The front PDC doesn't appear to work anymore either.

There is a hitch installed, but it was also on the car when I test drove it - so I'm pretty certain it's not the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Denis
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic