Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE34 Power Steering Fault

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilescooperuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E34 Power Steering Fault
    Posted: 15-July-2008 at 23:18
I had a rather large problem with my E34 today.

At low speed the power steering functions as normal.

At high speed (50+) the steering is effectively dead and locked in whatever position you have it set to.

So as a result of this you are constantly correcting the car for minor changes in road surface - any suggestions it is booked in to a garage next week but if I can save some money....

As it got sideswiped by an artic's trailer and now needs a new front wing and a gouge in each of the drivers doors knocking out. Anyone got a spare drivers side wing in Diamond black for an 89 5-series....

Giles Cooper

http://www.gilescooper.co.uk

Tiger Cat E1 (fun car)

1989 BMW 525i (commuting car)
Sponsored Links

stheaney2007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stheaney2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2008 at 18:23

Alright mate

That sounds to me to be the steering rack. If its wanderering then ya its your rack needs adjusting or replacing. Not too expensive i dont think.

let me know

Current : BMW e36 328i Coupe, Angel eyes, Lowered, Leathers

Previous : E34 540i, 525i, 535i, 518i, E30 325i, E30 316
gilescooperuk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilescooperuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2008 at 19:56
If it was wandering then I wouldn't mind too much - however it is locking solid that worries me....
Giles Cooper

Tiger Cat E1 (fun car)

jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2008 at 09:13
e34's have boxes, not racks.

When you say locked do you mean there is no assistance or do you mean the wheels can't be turned?

If you mean no assistance, some had speed-sensitive assistance (servotronic), which could be the fault, but I don;t think it was standard on any 89 models.

Have you checked the fluid level?  Not sure how it could cause this behaviour but can't think of anything else!
E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilescooperuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2008 at 09:19
It hasn't got speed sensitive - there is no wiring to either the pump or the steering box.

The fluid level is correct, the tyre pressures are correct.

At low speed I have power assistance, with the engine held at 3000rpm (70mph ish if driving on the road) and the car stationary I have power assistance.

On the road above 30mph the steering is extremely heavy and does not self centre just stays wherever you point it.

Having thought about this I am starting to wonder if a suspension joint is breaking up and grinding when the car is loaded at higher speeds?

Giles Cooper

Tiger Cat E1 (fun car)

jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2008 at 09:51
hmm, could be.  Have you tried steering with the wheels off the ground and the engine off?  Might give you a bit more feel...

Other than that it's just a case of jacking it up and checking all the joints.  The fact that it's at speed that you lose it makes me think toe-in and castor, so the top mounts could be suspect too.

Weird one!  Looking forward to hearing what it is.
E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilescooperuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2008 at 13:03
I'll give some notes to the garage when I drop it off on Monday - can't do anything myself as am busy today, tomorrow and then Sunday at the Sporting Bears in Kimbolton (the fun car).

If it is suspension joints then it won't be as much as pumps etc (380 for the ps pump from BMW, 190 from motor factor)

Giles

Giles Cooper

Tiger Cat E1 (fun car)

Beemerboy View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beemerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2008 at 14:34

Sounds strange, did you recently try adjusting the steering box?

Usually if they don't self centre, it's because the adjustment screw has been tighteened too much. 

E36 328i coupe
E34 525i
Previous: E36 320i coupe
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilescooperuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2008 at 17:43
Steering box was adjusted - last year as there was too much slack for the MOT.

So not that recently.....
Giles Cooper

Tiger Cat E1 (fun car)

540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2008 at 22:39

Sorry to say it but my old e28 had the exact same problem and I ended up with a new box which luckily through a mate a managed to get a second hand one for £50 and it worked a treat. I hope you have the same luck!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilescooperuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2008 at 22:53
Well - a slight update as the car is going in tomorrow.

Moved it for the first time in 4 days as it needs to be at the end of the drive to go to the garage.

At low speeds I have full power assistance and self centring! So I would deduce that the pump and steering box are working......

We shall See
Giles Cooper

Tiger Cat E1 (fun car)

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilescooperuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2008 at 23:01
You lot were right and I was wrong - all the garage did was adjust the steering box and it behaves itself. I was told the box was very worn though...

Oh well only £35 at least I can spend the money on the bodywork now
Giles Cooper

Tiger Cat E1 (fun car)

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2008 at 23:33

It matters not who was right but that your car is now right! hurrah!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilescooperuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2008 at 23:20
An update on this old topic - The car finally got repainted by a local bodyshop... both sides resprayed for £500!

before and after pictures below....

Giles Cooper

Tiger Cat E1 (fun car)

PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
East Anglia BMWCC Regional Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2008 at 12:11

She's looking much better Giles! You'll have to bring her out to some of our events!!

95 E34 530i V8 Auto Maldives Blue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic