Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockede30 m3 headlights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
black beast with four legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: e30 m3 headlights
    Posted: 10-July-2008 at 21:23

broke a headlight - the outer left - the other day.

problem is i am struggling to replace it, so far i ve had two from C3 and they are still not right. mine is a conventional hella with a dish back to a connector - not smiley.

the one ive got now (smiley, one for each side) is a plastic one with small reflector in, but looks like is should have an inner? which i dont have on mine. anyone help please, are there loads of types?

88 E30 M3 fast(er than it was, ta Shep and Grant)

and a k8 2008 busa...faster still

(focus RS gone to good home - but never forgotton, eh Shep)
Sponsored Links

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2008 at 21:27

Originally posted by Hoover Hoover wrote:

anyone help please, are there loads of types?

Yes - but all types of E30's will fit.

I still have the original LHD ones in mine - I get thru the MOT with 'beam-benders' fitted,

BUT I have a few other types lying around that I have swapped in and out over the years.

I may have one to suit - PM me

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2008 at 22:20

PM sent - but is this what you need?

But don't care.
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2008 at 11:44
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

I still have the original LHD ones in mine - I get thru the MOT with 'beam-benders' fitted,

Why don't you adjust them across?

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2008 at 15:21

looks ok from the front but the back is different mate - ta for looking anyway. C3 are trying to get me one now.....hopefully.

ta

N

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2008 at 15:57

Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

Because they don't adjust

But don't care.
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2008 at 17:03

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2008 at 16:49

Non ellipsoid (sure Pittsy will correct the spelling...)head lights can not be turned. They are fixed.

Hoover, there are two different back carriers. A plastic one and a metal one. Can't remember which is Bosch and Hella but can imagine this is where your problem lies.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2008 at 22:10
Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Non ellipsoid (sure Pittsy will correct the spelling...)head lights can not be turned. They are fixed.

No spell checking anymore Uwe - no point  - especially when you confirm I'm right!

But don't care.
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2008 at 19:37
ta for the help Uwe and Pits, ive bought some complete units off fleebay, second hand - look like smileys but theye are complete so at least i can change the whole lot if need to

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2008 at 00:10

Originally posted by Hoover Hoover wrote:

ta for the help Uwe and Pits, ive bought some complete units off fleebay, second hand - look like smileys but theye are complete so at least i can change the whole lot if need to

Good luck - hope they are like-for-like - or out comes the soldering iron

But don't care.
Lancastrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2008 at 23:57

You should be able to do a direct swap of the whole twin smiley headlight and mounting assemblies to replace non-smileys. I did it on my Cecotto and all the electrical connections were OK.

However far less likely that you will be able to change single light units and mount them in the older non-smiley mount. There are two distinctly different designs of mount assembly and the light units are not interchangeable between them.

E30 M3 Project - Specification TBC
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2008 at 12:42

Originally posted by Lancastrian Lancastrian wrote:

You should be able to do a direct swap of the whole twin smiley headlight and mounting assemblies to replace non-smileys. I did it on my Cecotto and all the electrical connections were OK.However far less likely that you will be able to change single light units and mount them in the older non-smiley mount. There are two distinctly different designs of mount assembly and the light units are not interchangeable between them.

Agreed, but the issue with connectors relates to Hella -v- Bosch as they are totally different

But don't care.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2008 at 15:49

Originally posted by Lancastrian Lancastrian wrote:

You should be able to do a direct swap of the whole twin smiley headlight and mounting assemblies to replace non-smileys. I did it on my Cecotto and all the electrical connections were OK.However far less likely that you will be able to change single light units and mount them in the older non-smiley mount. There are two distinctly different designs of mount assembly and the light units are not interchangeable between them.

Agreed, but the issue with connectors relates to Hella -v- Bosch as they are totally different

I don't think so, only when you upgrade from the old lights (non "magnifying" glas) to the newer style you will have issues with the connectors.
Smiley and non smiley do have the same connectors IRRC.
Doesn't matter if they are Bosch or Hella, both made ellisoid lights.

Just to clarify, there are THREE differnt styles of headlamps made by TWO differnt manufacturers

and another thing, I still have the old RHD lamps in my shed. (the type pitsy still uses)

Edited by UweM3
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2008 at 16:36
Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

and another thing, I still have the old RHD lamps in my shed. (the type pitsy still uses)
Aha - so if one of mine breaks, and I want to keep her 'original'  I can call on you?

But don't care.
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2008 at 20:08
thanks boys - ive bought some complete (both sides, 4 lights and the mounts) off ebay so i will see what they are like and fix something up.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic