Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Press Releases: BMW Sauber F1 Team - British GP
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPress Releases: BMW Sauber F1 Team - British GP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Press Releases: BMW Sauber F1 Team - British GP
    Posted: 06-July-2008 at 15:12

BMW Sauber F1 Team - British GP - Practice

07-04-2008 Press Release
Weather: Sunny but windy and dry, 17-20 °C Air, 19-34°C Track

Silverstone (GB). For the BMW Sauber F1 Team it was a quiet start to the British Grand Prix weekend at the Silverstone circuit. Neither driver was completely happy with his car’s balance, but they completed the planned Friday work.

Robert Kubica:
BMW Sauber F1.08-03 / BMW P86/8
1st Practice: 5th, 1:20.367 min / 2nd Practice: 11th, 1:21.023 min
“There is nothing special to report from today, as it was just a normal Friday with us testing almost everything we had planned. Now we shall see how the weather is tomorrow and what we have to do to improve the car. As always in Silverstone, the balance of the car is changing with the weather conditions, especially the wind. I have never driven here in the rain, yet, but for me whether it rains or is dry makes no difference.”

Nick Heidfeld:
BMW Sauber F1.08-07 / BMW P86/8
1st Practice: 13th, 1:21.107 min / 2nd Practice: 13th, 1:21.453 min
“I’m not happy yet. For last week’s test the balance of the car was better. I think this is due to the stronger winds we now have, which cause the balance to change every lap. I had difficulties with the softer tyres, as for me they didn’t even last for a single lap.”

Willy Rampf (Technical Director):
“Robert had a rear suspension problem on his first run in the second session, and this cost him some time for set-up work. However, we almost managed to do the planned programme with both cars, and completed the long-runs for race preparation. Now we shall analyse the data to see where we can improve for tomorrow.”

Edited by kbannon
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2008 at 15:13

BMW Sauber F1 Team - British GP - Qualifying

07-05-2008 Press Release
Weather: damp in practice, mostly dry in qualifying, 18-20°C Air, 16-32°C Track

Silverstone (GB). It was mixed fortunes for the BMW Sauber F1 Team drivers in qualifying for the British Grand Prix at Silverstone. For Nick Heidfeld it was a good day, as fifth fastest means he equalled his previous best performance of 2008 from Melbourne. However, the reverse happened to Robert Kubica, as a problem with his car in the last part of qualifying meant he was tenth fastest, and this is his worst performance of the season.

Nick Heidfeld:
Qualifying 5th, 1:21.022 min (3rd Practice: 15th, 1:22.916 min)
“I’m quite happy with fifth because it just continues a positive trend which began in qualifying in Magny-Cours, and confirms all our efforts and work have paid off. I can now manage again to heat up the tyres properly and get them to work, but we shall continue to work on this subject. In Q2 Robert and I where just separated by two hundreds of a second. Generally my car was a lot better today than on Friday. However, on my last lap in Q3 it felt a little bit strange, so we have to find out what this was. I think we shall have an exciting race tomorrow. There is a high chance of rain!”

Robert Kubica:
Qualifying 10th, 1:19.788 min (from Q2) (3rd Practice: 19th, 1:23.282 min)
“It was a difficult qualifying in the end. Finally we were on the right pace. Qualifying 1 was good and qualifying 2 was even better, as the first time on option tyres was very good. I backed off in the last sector to just bring the car home, and it was still enough to be two or three tenths off the McLaren time. In qualifying 3 I went through the first sector without any problems, but then I felt the same problem at the rear I felt on Friday. Now we have to analyse everything and see what is going on.”

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director):
“Up to the top ten qualifying session everything went according to plan, but then Robert aborted his lap in Q3 because he realised he had a technical problem with the car. Unfortunately time was too short to analyse the problem during the session and get him back out on the track. It is a shame because both drivers were strong, which is proved by Nick’s fifth place. It was a very good performance by him.”

“Both our drivers were well on their way in the first two qualifying sessions, and only needed a single lap to easily advance into the final stage of qualifying. However, in Q3 Robert couldn’t complete his fast lap, and over the radio told us about a technical problem with the car. Nick’s performance was impressive and put him fifth fastest. We are all very happy about that. The weather prediction for tomorrow is mixed. We are prepared for anything that might come.”
1997 E39 523i
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2008 at 16:13
BMW SAUBER F1 TEAM - BRITISH GRAND PRIX - RACE
07/07/2008

Weather: wet track with heavy rain showers. Air: 16-18°C, Track: 17-21°C
Silverstone (GB). After a flawless drive and numerous good overtaking manoeuvres Nick Heidfeld took second place for the BMW Sauber F1 Team in what was a wet and fairly chaotic British Grand Prix. This was his third runner-up spot of the season, and the team’s seventh podium. While everything, including the right tyre choice at each pit stop, paid off for Heidfeld, his team mate Robert Kubica slid off the slippery track after his second pit stop.

Nick Heidfeld: 2nd
Fastest Lap: 1:32.719 min on lap 21 (2nd fastest overall)
“It was a good race. I am happy with second place because today it was the best I could achieve. Qualifying went well and in the race we did everything right. Obviously it was crucial to make the right tyre decisions. At the first stop we were wondering if we should stay with the used set of inters, but luckily we then decided on new tyres. We were expecting a small shower, but when I drove down Hanger Straight and saw a black wall in front of me I thought I should expect more than that! The most difficult moments in the race were when cars were overtaking me who had been lapped, but were just on better tyres for the conditions at that time. There was so much water and I couldn’t see where it was lying. Once before Abbey I almost spun, but just managed to keep the car on the track.”

Robert Kubica: DNF
Fastest Lap: 1:33.539 min on lap 22 (12th fastest overall)
“I was already aquaplaning for many laps and unfortunately in a straight line I just lost the car completely and went off. Here in Silverstone it was a crazy race in difficult conditions. Everything was running pretty well as I was having quite a good race and gaining positions. But when it rained and there was a lot of water on the track I was just struggling. I couldn’t keep the car in a straight line, was losing power, the rear wheels were losing contact with the tarmac and that was it.”

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director):
“It was a very dramatic race which was dictated by the weather conditions. In some periods of the race the lap times varied by as much as ten seconds depending on the tyre choice. With Nick our strategy worked out perfectly. He performed very strongly and carried out some spectacular overtaking manoeuvres. After things have not gone his way recently, I am very happy for him he climbed from fifth on the grid to second with a good mixture of intelligent racing and fighting spirit. For him it is the third second place so far this year, and for our team the seventh podium. Robert was doing well, having climbed up to third, but then went off during a rain shower. Compliments to him as well as it was a strong team performance under these difficult conditions.”

“That was a tyre lottery, as there was a permanent question over which ones we should use. The critical period was when the drivers were fighting very hard to keep the cars on track after the heavy rain. Nick managed to do this very well. Unfortunately Robert was aquaplaning and went off. Nick deserved his place on the podium as he drove a very smart race. Congratulations on a great performance and compliments to the pit stop crew, because we made the tyre choice decisions at very short notice."

Test in Hockenheim: 8th and 9th July Heidfeld, 10th July Kubica
1997 E39 523i
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic