Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI’ve found a lovely E34 518i estate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I’ve found a lovely E34 518i estate
    Posted: 05-July-2008 at 09:19

I'm going to look at this tomorrow, it looks gorgeous and will probably be my next car.

Anyone know which engine code its likely to be ? ( I just need to know if it needs a cam belt change or not)

The metric wheels are with the car, but its had another set put on with new tyres for the mot

I've never seen the "double sunroof", anyone any experience ?

The advert says :

5 Doors, Manual, Estate, Petrol, 88,000 miles, Metallic Montreal Blue. ABS. Insurance Group:13, -FULL BMW SERVICE HISTORY! -12 Months M.O.T- LAST OWNER 9 YEARS- LOW MILEAGE ( 7 K PER YEAR) A RARE treat for any BMW enthusiasts in ths flawless condition. Manual gearbox and 1800 engine makes for surprisingly good fuel economy.Rare electric FULL LENGTH Front/Rear sunroof option. Electric windows x 4. Original BMW business rds sterio. Walnut facia. Timewarp condition interior with dark velour in remarkable condition. Never towed, no pets, non smoker owner. Boot cover with unused dog guard. Complete book pack with all original keys. Looks and drives like its 12 months old! Alot of car for under Ł2000.Viewing essential

Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2008 at 09:56
Looks all right don't it - could do with one of them myself.

Nice find Nigel, soon be full of dog hairs and fag smoke no doubt..
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2008 at 10:08

It will cop some dog hairs, but not the fag smoke ( I hope).

After my recent accident I've been told I must stop, as they consider smoking to be part of the cause, I'm also told I must lose some weight.

I'm actually at the doctors on Monday regarding both those items.

There is another one on autotrader for less than a grand, its 133 miles from me, and if we're lucky it may be in your direction.....I'll check

Edited by Nigel
Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2008 at 10:11

Here we go, it doesn't give a location, just a number, although he says he's a trader.

This one is better spec, but the blue one will do me :

reg. 85000 Miles, 12mth MOT, R/CL, E/W, PAS, Air con, Alloys, Stereo, Tow bar and electrics fitted, excellent condition, PX taken. Ł995.

Trade Seller:

Mr Footitt

Contact number: 07837 421045

Distance: 135 miles from

Best Wishes

Nigel

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2008 at 11:19
The price of the first one seems a lot given the age/engine size/touring.
I would have thought it would be worth half that!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Rossi View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2008 at 11:37
That first car is nice Nigel, good mileage on it for the year. Never seen a double sunroof on an Estate/Touring before, that looks interesting and sort of unique in a way. Looks like it's got FBMWSH too which can't be bad.
Gotta say I love the colour which, comes up a treat when polished in the sunshine 

As Kb has pointed out the price seems a little steep though..
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2008 at 11:50

OK guys, I take your point.

I'm going to see it tomorrow, I do know he's had to buy some new(er) wheels and tyres to get it through the mot, as the one's in the piccy are metric.

I like it as its a large estate that will replace the Ovlov, do a few more mpg, and it looks good.

The other one has a towbar (so I guess its been used for towing), and it seems to have E39 wheels on it (for the metric reason I imagine), which if I remember correctly will mean it has some sort of conversion kit to enable them to fit

The dearer one (the blue one) also doesn't have the 11 stepper motor climatic control air con unit (which I consider to actually be an advantage)

I think I will ring the 2nd one, see where in the world it is.

Edited by Nigel
Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2008 at 12:32

The 2nd one (the cheaper one) is in Paignton.

The chap seems a lovely guy, and he's offering to meet me at Taunton, which is only an hour away.

He has just had some dampers replaced, pads & disc's all round, he says the drivers door has been grounded, and if you get down there is some rust there, there is some wear on the drivers seat, and the aircon doesn't work, and it has no sunroof.

Decisions desicisions ..............

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2008 at 13:36

My car trade mate tells me to go for the blue one & hopefully knock him down Ł200.

He says I could very easily spend Ł5 - 600 making the cheaper one good, and we have no indication that the miles on the cheaper one are at all correct.

He doesn't like beemers much, but even he thinks that blue one is exceptional

Best Wishes

Nigel

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2008 at 18:29
Nigel, find out the last seven digits of the vin and I'll try and get a full spec (inc. factory extras).
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2008 at 19:20

Cheers Rhys.

I can do that too ! If you look at the first service stamp, it my old mates.......Robert Sterns

Best Wishes

Nigel

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2008 at 20:03
Ah, so it is lol.. PM me the vin number and I'll try and get the spec. 

Edited by Rhys
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
hennabm View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennabm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2008 at 22:20

Double sunroofs are trouble - even according to the dealer network. It was a gimmick that was soon dropped from the E34 range.

Sealing seems to be the problem.

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2008 at 22:31

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a check over.

It wasn't dropped that quickly, as the whole range was dropped by the time that one was redgistered lol

Best Wishes

Nigel

MBW1 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2008 at 14:21
518i's are a good car. In many ways they're better than the 520i as the
smaller M43 1.8 (chain for the cam) has more low down torque. They are
also pretty good on fuel. The double sunroof is a ballache though. They
were troublesome so really, avoid opening it! Giving them a good
greasing twice a year helps. That apart they are a reliable car. Anto freeze
needs to be changed every year because if left to stew, it rots the head
gasket. Even so, a h/g is an easy 1 day job.
Ł2000 is a bit steep - even with those miles I'd be looking to pay about
Ł1600. But if it's what you want, Ł1800 in notes would be fine.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2008 at 22:58

I paid him the screen price of Ł1,775 !

It is gorgeous, I'd checked it all out with Robert Stern BMW, it is exactly as it was supplied (except the wheels).

I am also getting the original metric wheels

To sell it to me he's replaced the back box, wheels (2nd hand modern 17" 5 series wheels with brand new dunlop tyres.....I don't actually like the wheels so will be looking to play swap with someone for a set of 15" or 16" cross spokes), and front disks & pads.

It has a new MOT

Its also had a replacement radiator (its about the right age for that to fail)

It has one very small ding in the nearside rear wing, and two very small chips on the upper surface of the rear bumper (Robert Sterns maestro is waiting to see it, he does the dents out stuff!)

It has a few polish swirls.

The interior is absolutely mint, exactly as it was supplied.

The central locking bounces (one of my earlier E34's did that, so I'll sort that), and the dampers for the tailgate window are pretty useless (sterns already have them for me Ł20 the pair!)

Its 12 years old, and has just been issued its first "year" plate, it has two previous owners, and has been on private plates.

Its the nearest I've ever been to having a new beemer.........and I'll get to drive it all the time, rather than the weekend toy my previous ones were

Best Wishes

Nigel

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2008 at 23:01

Just my 2 pennorth, my double sunroof works a treat and I have been told silicon spray is best for the runners so mine gets the full treatment at least twice a year.

Just make sure you open each half individually and spray the runners and all joints, hinges etc and you should have trouble free usage. I think the troublesome ones are the ones which aren't maintained as the sunroof isn't usually a place that needs it.

Looks good Nige, no reason not to go for it, I doubt youll be disappointed.

Good luck

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2008 at 23:02
Nice one Nigel!

(more pics!)

Edited by kbannon
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2008 at 23:22

I don't have it yet K, I'll pick it up on Thursday or Saturday.

I'll post you some more pictures then, but like I said (rather like the one you were looking at), I'm not keen on the wheels, looks a bit too "chavvy" for a 47 year old bloke, also smacks of trying to make a 518i look something it isn't 

Best Wishes

Nigel

Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2008 at 09:35
That looks a nice well kept Touring.
I'll bet that Thursday or Saturday seems along way away..
congratulations
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic