Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE46 M3 Running Costs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E46Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E46 M3 Running Costs
    Posted: 17-June-2008 at 15:46

HI all I am new to the forum, I had an E36 Evo and sold it to buy an E46 '01 M3,

- The Question is are they very expensive to run as a daily driver, I will have to do around 30 miles a day with my little spin to work plus an evening blast, Is this too much petrol for one man to buy?

-Also are the service intervals reasonable? It will have about 70,000 on the clock, all I can afford!

Any other little gems of information on the car would be great?

Any info from current/past owners would be great! I hope to be an active member of the forum!

Cheers!

Edited by E46Power
Sponsored Links

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2008 at 15:57

E46Power - firstly welcome!

I'm guessing you might get better feedback to your question on the ///MPower forum on here.  There will probably be more people that will have first hand info for you hanging around on there that may only take a look in here less frequently.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
E46Power View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E46Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2008 at 16:02
I will do cheers mate!
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2008 at 09:34

Make sure that if it's a oil pump recall car that recall was carried out, or you could have a big bill for an engine.

Think car effected were 01-03.

If it's SMG car your looking at there was a recall on that also.

Edited by Sporty1

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2008 at 19:09

It's a £40,000 car with £40,000 car running costs, no matter how much you pay for it used.

A decent set of tyres, with the rears giving 12k to 15k depend on how you drive it, and the fronts giving 16-17k max (IMO) will be £800.

MPG in the real world is about 23-24, dropping to 18-19 if you're pushing it regularly.

Dealer servicing is £180 Oil, £600 Inspection I, £900 Inspection II.  If you know of a good dependent then no doubt you can halve those costs.  The service intervals depend on how you drive it, but are usually in the region of 12-15k.  One of mine dropped 2k one day - but it was a fun day.

If it's unwarrantied, then expect very big bills if it goes wrong.  Springs break like they're straws. 

Ultimately, they're a costly car to run, and cutting corners on costs usually leads to sliding off corners elsewhere.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2008 at 19:11
I've replied in the other thread.  This is confusing!

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2008 at 21:02

Originally posted by Coasting Coasting wrote:

I've replied in the other thread.  This is confusing!

What other thread?

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic