Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe Beast is back ! (with ABS/DSC)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"It’s F*cked"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pimpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Beast is back ! (with ABS/DSC)
    Posted: 30-May-2008 at 09:20

I'll share this with you in case any of you have a similar problem!

My M5 has been suffering from ABS/DSC problems for a couple of months now. I had it diagnosed at a local garage as the Front Left ABS Sensor not responding.

Ordered a new sensor, fitted in but the lights remained on. I was getting fed up with it and stuck it into JC's who charged me over a hundred quid to tell me that the Front Left ABS Sensor not responding. They suggested the ABS control module might be at fault as they've seen it go wrong on several occasions.

So rather than shell out over 600 quid for a new one I found a place that can refurbish these modules. I removed it, sent it off and received it back in a couple of days. Refitted it but still had the same problem I then got myself Carsoft 6.5 off ebay so I could run the diagnostics myself, messed about with that but still couldn't get those lights out. By this time I'm really getting scunnered with the car.

Last night I decided to have another go. It's not the sensor or the module so could be a broken wire to or from the sensor. I whipped off the wheel and got the multimeter out. Checked continuity on the 2 wires and bingo, there must have been a break in one of the wires about an inch from the plug.

15 minutes with some new wire and my solder torch and it was fixed!

If only I had checked this at the start I could have saved myself hunderds of pounds.

Edited by big pimpin
E90 320d - M635 CSi - 635CSi Highline - GMC Typhoon - 4.6 P38
Sponsored Links

stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2008 at 11:10
good to hear your back up and running and just as well you didn't splash out the £600 or you'd be

stevie
///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrà mai tedesco di nuovo haha
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2008 at 11:19

Wow,

Just as well you had the right tools for the job and know how to use them.

Great that you got it sorted tho.

Chas C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Nothing new under the sun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chas C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2008 at 13:29

Good result Sandy.  Pity about the dosh but it does back up my theory about new cars being poor value second hand.  If dealers employed true mechanics instead of IT technicians, this might have been spotted earlier?

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2008 at 13:53

I would go back to the dealer armed with your findings and ask for an explanation and your cash back.

I did this with my Senator and got a free bulb worth 75p from them Woohoo!

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2008 at 15:23
Steph's Dad Robby, has a '99 M5 and the DSC/ABS light came on and it was the Front left ABS sensor, but the light went out when he replaced the sensor so he was lucky.

Originally posted by Chas C Chas C wrote:

If dealers employed true mechanics instead of IT technicians, this might have been spotted earlier?

Very True Chas, It also would help If they didn't try to scam extra money out of you too. Robby was quoted 50 odd quid for his fault to be diagnosed at Eastern, then they told him the bill was 100 odd, he wasn't very happy.lol.

Nice fix tho Sandy!!

Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5
big pimpin View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"It’s F*cked"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pimpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2008 at 22:45
Originally posted by Chas C Chas C wrote:

Good result Sandy.  Pity about the dosh but it does back up my theory about new cars being poor value second hand.  If dealers employed true mechanics instead of IT technicians, this might have been spotted earlier?

Amen! If I had left the car at JC's I'm pretty sure the ABS module would have been replaced and eventually they would have found the real fault but I would have faced a 1000 quid + invoice for it.

A 60k car has 60k running bills no matter what it costs to buy....this I have learnt.

£100 plus vat an hour is quite funny though

Edited by big pimpin
E90 320d - M635 CSi - 635CSi Highline - GMC Typhoon - 4.6 P38
alym786 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alym786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 09:42

Glad you got it sorted. I had the same problem recently. But managed to sort it out with the one sensor :)

E46 328ci now sold :(
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 08:20

My boss told me on Friday that his wifes Vectra suffered a broken wire between one of the sensors and the main control unit.  He said it took an auto electrician four hours at £40 per hour to find and fix the fault.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Paul_540i View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul_540i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2008 at 00:26
£40 per hour is cheap compared to most of these kinds of guys!

Sometimes this type of fault can be a total PITA though, you can get lucky and find a wiring break somewhere obvious (chaffing, stress break at points where the wire moves a lot, or exposure to the elements are the usual causes), but then again it's possible for the fault to be anywhere in the length of the loom. Thankfully such obscure failures are pretty rare, unless there is a design issue such as water getting in that usually becomes a known issue pretty quickly.

Saying that, 90% of wiring faults are actually in the connectors, so if in doubt give them a good check and clean out with contact cleaner first.

ABS sensors can be quite easily checked on an oscilloscope as they simply produce a square wave related to the rotation speed. Very few home mechanics have access to a scope though!
540i 6-speed manual (sold)

840Ci 6-speed manual (sold)

318is (sold)

Yamaha R1 (sold)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2008 at 08:34

Good info Paul about the oscilloscope.

ABS sensors cannot be checked using an Ohm meter.  Both the broken ABS sensors I replaced on my E39 had exactly the same resistance as the two I fitted as replacements.

Looking on the realoem website, they actually list spare lengths of ABS cable which have the connectors that the wheel sensor plugs into.

Probably more common that you think if they list a spare for it!

Don't go sticking an Ohm meter into the ABS wiring loom on the car!  It won't like it!

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic